Question about uniform changes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Levi, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I just watched DS9 EP11 (homefront) and EP12 (paradise lost).

I was under the impression that Starfleet uniforms changed over time. We see the uniforms change several times, in the movies I believe. When new uniforms are created we see the new ones being implemented and old ones slowly phased out.
    On DS9, they wear the Color designation on the shoulders with the greyish blue turtlenecks.
    But in the episodes I mentioned, when Sisko returns to Earth, they change back into TNG era uniforms.

Why do they change back to these uniforms?

Are there different uniforms for different area's of service? I thought the only difference in uniforms was color designation. I know that with so many personnel in StarFleet they can't get everyone into new uniforms right away it takes time to phase them in, but I would think StarFleet Command would have had the new uniforms by this time!
    I even gave thought to maybe Ship uniforms differ from Station uniforms, but DS9 and Voyager are the same. And TNG and the ones in these episodes on Earth are the same.

So, what is the significance of wearing different styles of uniforms?

*I posted this in DS9 forums since I watched it in DS9. Sorry if this should go somewhere else.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figure the TNG style uni's are "smart" dress for Earth. The DS9 ones were originally designed to evoke dirty work overalls, after all.

Why they suddenly became the norm for Voyager and Generations, though...

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it is meant to represent the nature of the posting. Both uniform styles existed at the same time in the Trek universe, with TNG maintaining the torso colors while DS9 had the shoulder colors. I've heard that the torso colors were more formal, more of a sense of representing the Federation on a larger scale, while the should colors suggested less formal posting. You should note that Voyager used shoulder colors as well, and its mission was not as diplomatic as Enterprise's.

I don't know about you, but the TNG uniformed looked a lot like sweatpants to me.

4. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

But then why does the Enterprise change to the same uniforms from DS9 and Voyager? In the Generations movie I believe.

Though it does make sense with certain uniforms, like the TNG era ones, being more of a formal type and the DS9/Voy being a more work style.
    But some ways that doesn't make sense with the way they use and place them throughout different series/movies.

I had even thought maybe it was just something that the writers or whomever didn't give much thought to. But then it seems like they did this change for a fairly certain reason.

5. PaleMoonlight

PaleMoonlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always though (and read somewhere) that the uniform in DS9 were because they were on a starbase. That doesn't explain VOY though

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

This question comes up a lot. It seems like the TNG style was appropriate for Earth, but officers stationed on starships or starbases could wear whatever the commanding officer thought was appropriate for the setting. It's not unlike professional sports teams wearing alternate uniforms on special days (Sunday day games, for instance).

--Sran

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I think this is how it works on modern day US Navy vessels, for example. They have the 'uniform of the day', which is basically whatever the captain says it is.

Or the 1979 Pirates, who wore whatever Willie Stargell wanted. :techman:

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Sisko, Bashir and Dax all wore the TNG style uniforms when they arrived on DS9 in "Emissary".

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Chief O'Brien wore the TNG style when he returned to the Enterprise-D in 'Emissary', as well.

Though ya gotta wonder why he would beam out from a docked ship...

As for the uniform changes...durin' TNG, the first/second season style uniforms were still in use durin' the third & fourth seasons 'til the new version became the standard for everyone.

The same may be true for the DS9 style - it was added to the uniform options and was slowly phased in as the standard over time. It would easily explain why both styles were used in GEN, and why VOY had it, while Sisko used it when he returned to Earth.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

I think that was a symbolic gesture given that he was leaving the ship for the last time. So much of his work aboard the Enterprise involved maintaining the transporters, so it was only fitting that he officially left the ship that way. It was also nice of Picard to see him off the way he did.

--Sran

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It could be etiquette. TNG style uniforms for earth and exploration, white uniforms for dress occasions, black-bodied color-shoulders for mission based operations, and grey shoulders for war.

12. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

The idea was that the DS9 jumpsuits were Class B's... Since they were on a dirty, hardly functioning Cardassian monstrosity (which I love), they needed to be okay with getting their hands dirty. My thought about Generations was that Picard finally loosened up and let them wear some Class B's. I'm totally baffled as to why DS9 suddenly changed to the Class A's from the TNG movies First Contact on. But I liked it. As for Voyager wearing the DS9 Class B's... Well, how much actually made sense on that show anyway? Plus, come on, with as much holographic power they used (separate power grid... please) and shuttles they replicated, they totally could have gotten the FC uniforms too after getting in touch with the Alpha Quadrant.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

My theory is that Starfleet Command decided it was time for a more... uniform stance on uniforms and did away with the TNG and DS9 variations in favor of the black and gray look.

--Sran

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The United States Navy has an absurd number of uniforms styles - five, at least - and they are updating each version of those, at least annually. They are always sending out questionaires to sailors about them, because they genuinely want them to be comfortable and for the sailors to feel proud wearing them. It is not at all unrealistic to think that STARFLEET would've done the same, but I don't really care for the uniform patterns from DS9 onwards. I thought the turtleneck dickies or whatever they're called looked really bad. Honestly, I'm a big fan of the original uniforms seen in TNG's first 2 seasons. I would've been happy if they kept that.

15. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I know a few people who really liked those ones as well. I didn't mind them, but my favorite was the later TNG style uniform. I was sad when they (i had thought anyways) switched over to the Voyager style. But eventually, I was happy with the Grey tone jacket over the colored coveralls (or whatever).

16. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm with you 100%.

17. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I really wish they would've done those uniforms originally conceived for Generations. Those looked, to me, like a nice functional blend of the formal uniforms and the colors.

18. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Could the difference in uniforms be designated to sectors of operations?
    TNG style could be all primary fleets, while Voyager/DS9 style was apart of secondary fleets?
    Has anyone ever really researched into this? Does anyone know of a specific site that might explain? (Yes I know of the main sites that might Im going to check up now)

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Understood, sir! I have very mixed feelings about the jackets, myself. 24th Century dress uniforms really need to look crisp, in my opinion. Like Officer's Dress Whites in the U.S. Navy, they are smart looking. The white dress uniforms seen in Riker/Troi's NEMESIS wedding could've used that. I don't care for them much.

20. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

So, onto season 5 episode 10, and theyve swapped to the grey shoulder jackets and colored shirts underneathe like in nemesis. So this kinda ruins the idea of uniforms being for different sectors of operations. And im back to believing that the uniforms change just from time and starfleet updating uniforms. Yes this still doesnt account for them.switching back to TNG style on earth.
    unless we were right the first time, the the grey shoulder jackets are the new updated uniform from thw multipul sector styles?