Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NX was the prefix for the Excelsior (NX-2000) in ST:III, before it changed to NCC-2000 by ST:VI.

2. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

It was also the prefix for the defiant, NX-74205. Not that it matters as much in trek, but NX stands for Naval Experiment, and NCC stands for Naval Contruction Contract.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's never been proven, anywhere in Trek.

4. mtblillie

Hence the Not that it matters much in trek. I was refering to real world.

Edit: To clarify, I don't know that the Navy actually refers to the contract as an NCC or uses it in any form of registry or identification number, other than the actual contract to build a vessel or other naval project. My understanding is that someone somewhere in trek production came up with the idea that the NCC registry could be based on the same concept, though far more literally than in real world. I've heard that it has been stated in a novel, but I don't know if the orignal idea came from a legit producer or not, and if so, if that was the original intent when TOS was first created or if it came later to explain why they may have used NCC.

5. Johnny Rico

Got my BoP and NX-01 today. A bit later than I thought I would. Was thinking earlier in the week, but alas I got 'em. Really impressed with the NX. Awesome Aztek paint job. BoP ain't bad either. Kind of wished the torpedo launcher was done differently. Would have been cool if it had colored piece of plastic in there. Green or Red. Saw a pic on the FB page where someone shot a green pointer laser in the there and took a pic. Pretty cool effect.

6. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is not where NCC and NX come from.

It comes from aircraft licenses. Gene Roddenberry was a pilot. From SuperCub.com:

I can't remember where I read it, but Gene decided to use NCC, taking the NC and adding an additional "C" to it. And NX, well... NX...

I believe it was The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. Johnny Rico

All I know is that the first time I saw Trek in the late '70s during the '78 syndication run of TOS, even as a kid under 10 years old, I was confused as to the NCC designation as I was somewhat familiar with the NC designation. (My neighbor was into building plastic models of Naval Warships)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Got issues 3 and 4 today! I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of both. The right nacelle of my NX-01 was broken off the pylon, but it was nothing a little superglue couldn't fix. It wasn't broken per se, but it looks like it wasn't properly glued in the first place and just fell off. I also got a free Borg cube poster since my October shipment was late.

9. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Yep, I got mine on Saturday. I continue to be astonished at the quality of these models. I was especially impressed with the Bird-of-Prey. It almost looks as good as the original full-sized ILM model.

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

They are very customer minded in my experience, I'd email them and ask for a replacement.

I received my BOP and NX-01. I remain impressed with the quality and detail. The magazines are suprisingly well done as well.

11. Yanks

I had no problem with "NX" as the Enterprise was the first Warp 5 vessel. I think they screwed the pooch when Columbia was designated "NX-02". I think by then they should have redesignated them and made a "class".

Something like the Archer Class NCC-01 - Enterprise and NCC-02 being the Columbia.

12. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could you give some info on the magazines?
    Mostly artwork/photos? More text?

Anything new or is it a rehash of stuff we've all seen before? Details based on previous sources or original?

I have many questions...

13. mtblillie

You can read the first issue for free on the website if you sign up for the free website trial:

http://startrekonline.eaglemoss.com/default.aspx#1

There are also some pics at Knoxville Fleet Yard Blog.

14. Yanks

I'm kind of a newbee at this trek collection stuff. So I'm not one that has the TNG techmanual or anything like that.

So if it's "new", I'm not sure. I'm just very impressed with the layout and all the information.

15. Yanks

16. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thx for the "free sample issue" tip. Much appreciated. I got many answers :bolian:

17. Johnny Rico

So I got my Issues #3 and #4, and while I was checking them out, I decided to take another closer look at Issues #1 and #2. I was looking at the small details, not only in the paint jobs, but model construct as well. Don't know if y'all have noticed, but the "front cap" of the torpedo launcher on Issue #2 (NCC-1701 refit) is upside down. If you remember that it shaped with a slightly curved top, with a pointed edge on the bottom. Well, on the Eaglemoss model, it's reversed. On the model, it's not that the piece was put on wrong, as it's a part of the mold. So what I'm saying is that it was molded wrong.

[​IMG]

18. Sans

For those that have issue 5, when on it's stand, how tall is it?

19. Sans

I had to go look at my other models of that size: the Hot Wheels and Johnny Lighting ones. You can't see a curve on those, so I went to the mag that came with it. If you look on page 16, the top part is curved, but if you look at the one right on the next page (17), the bottom is curved.

Is it the viewing angle?

Speaking of detail, looking at the spread on page 4-5, is the jaggy-ness due the res of the mag printing, or did they use a low res CGI render for it?

20. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just signed up! These look amazing! This always happens to me when I'm online at 1 in the morning! lol