Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, May 30, 2008.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

So, with the revised deck breakdowns, we're looking at the main computer, Sickbay, and a few other sundry bits on Decks 5 and/or 6.

This could get very interesting...

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those sound like pretty standard features for those decks - what had you previously put there, if you don't mind my asking?

(I'm assuming that we are talking about a deck 5 that's the widest part of the saucer, rather than the deck above it)

3. Captain Robert April

Previously, I'd managed to fit ten full decks, with one half deck for the phaser emitter machinery, so the main computer and Sickbay was on Decks 7 & 8.

4. Captain Robert April

Laying down some preliminary stuff...

[​IMG]

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

If one includes the bottom area above the saucer's lower sensor dome, I count 9 decks in the saucer. Eight if the "bottom" is just a quasi-deck compartment for scanner equipment. Correct?

6. Captain Robert April

The only thing I'm wrestling with at the moment is Auxiliary Control. We've got a fairly explicit reference to it being on Deck 8 in "I, Mudd" (at a point in the show where they started paying more attention to this stuff), but that puts it right about where I wanted to put the forward Phaser Control room. I also don't like putting that low in the hull.

As for "Deck 9", that's where I'm squeezing in the phaser and photon torpedo machinery.

Oh well....

7. Captain Robert April

About to have a new cross section ready, just as soon as the other computer gets freed up.

Y'see, since this one is an older, memory starved, little putt-putt, I've been doing most of the work on another computer, which is currently being used by another family member for such essential functions as catching up on the latest celebrity gossip.

Stay tuned.

8. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Nice to hear there's finally some visual progress on this project, CRA! Can't wait to see it.:techman:

9. Captain Robert April

A big factor has been Shaw making sufficient progress with his survey of the eleven footer. Things can only go up from here, methinks.

10. Captain Robert April

I'm gonna have to redo that pic, since it looks like I didn't save it, for whatever reason (I think I wanted to confirm the overall dimensions of the ship first, including the nacelles).

11. Captain Robert April

Here we go, at least until Shaw comes up with something a bit more final...

[​IMG]

Not sure what it's supposed to prove, but doesn't it look kinda freaky?

12. Mytran

Aagghh! The Defiant is returning from interphase - on top of us!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I agree - freaky, but I like it.

Just out of interest, what was your original pattern for the ship - the Sinclair plans?

13. Captain Robert April

Yuppers. Reportedly, they're more on the mark than the Casamiro plans, but now that Shaw's about finished with his drawings...

14. Mytran

Really, I always thought that the Casimiro plans were more reliable - I forget who said that, it was either Shaw or Cary

15. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Does this suggest there were 9 decks in the saucer, rather than 8?

16. Captain Robert April

Casamiro's look better, that's for sure, and there are certain parts where his are more on the mark than Sinclair's, but overall, Sinclair seemed to get more right than Casamiro; to a certain extent, though, we're talking six of one, half dozen of another.

The hope is that Shaw's plans get it all correct and those of us who do this sort of thing can get a little closer to what would actually work inside that hull.

17. Mytran

Ahem to that! My first set of enterprise deck plans (back in the 90's) were based on the drawings in the AMT instructions!

18. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i was always under the impression that Mr. Sinclair was actually able to spend 1 on 1 time with the model itself, with calipers and a tape measure.

either way, i do like Casimiro's 3d version, but being an old drafter & engineer i just love Sincair's 2d dwg more :P

19. Captain Robert April

The only person who's been able to do actual measurements of the model is Gary Kerr. Everyone else's is based upon observation from a distance; at best, looking at it in its display case at the Smithsonian for extended periods, at worst, analyzing footage and still photos, with all results depending on the availability of accurate figures and ability of the respective analyst in extrapolating more detailed measurements from there.

20. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish I had this larger size and clearer.