Batman/Superman Enemies and Allies Kevin J. Anderson

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 20, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this in Chapters this morning after coming out of my doctor's appointment and flipped through it and it looks interesting. This takes place during the mid 1950's and focuses on Batman and Superman's first meeting as they track down a plot involving Lex Luthor. I read through the first two or three pages and I'm actually intrigued enough that I requested it at my local library so hopefully it will be good. It has a New Frontier vibe since it takes place during the 50's. I hope that it's better than the garbage and disapointment that was Last Days of Krypton that came out two years ago. On the acknowledgments page Anderson credits Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale, and Frank Miller for influencing the book. I'm assuming that he's referenced Superman: For All Seasons, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory along with The Dark Knight Returns since those are those creators most famous works with these characters. Has anyone checked it out yet? It was just released so maybe not...I'd be interested to read a review.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I was planning on reading Last Days of Krypton after the series I'm reading now. What's so bad about it?

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that book was out yet. I am totally going to pick it up this summer.

As someone who loved LDoK, I was eagerly awaiting this.

Edit: I just went to check Amazon (US), and it only has a listing for it as a Kindle download. Is/Will there be a hard copy in the US?

4. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never been to keen on the idea of the novelization of superheroes. It's not that they're crap, but superheroes have always worked, at least to me, best in the visual medium of comics. When Superman's cape flutters in the breeze, you don't want to read two or three sentences describing it. You want to see a top notch artist illustrate it.

My point is that I have enough chapter books on my plate. Get someone like Ethan Van Sciver to add pictures to Kevin J. Anderson's words, and then I'll be interested.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never been too keen on Kevin J. Anderson(you use your middle initial? How pretentious!). I met him, I've read some of his stuff and the guy is a hack who's all about the money and nothing else. I watched him blow off a fan at a fan appreciation event sponsored by SFWA so he could discuss a paid appearance at some convention with one of the convention organizers. The poor kid just wanted an autograph but ole Kev couldn't be bothered-he was negotiating hotel allowances. I have no interest in this Batman thing-KJA never showed an ounce of originality in anything else he wrote that I read and I would not expect a sudden revelation now.

6. RandyS

I don't know, I though that Roger Stern's 1993 novel adaption of the death of Superman was better than the comic version.

And the audio book version.

AND the 2007 animated movie version.

In short, I liked the novel better than any other adaption of that particular story.

Of course, that's just one example.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ The Knightfall adaptation wasn't bad either.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Though they needed to have a different actor from Batman - he sounded pretty much the same as Batman as he did for Bruce Wayne.

I have both Knightfall and Death and Life of Superman in the novels and guess I'm sacreligious because I prefer them in the novel that I buy in one hit. Novels can allow the story to be fleshed out more and for me anyway, are easier to read because of the large font size.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a fair point...I guess it just depends on the story.

10. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it at Borders last night, but passed on it as I already had two books to purchase.

11. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did enjoy The Last Days of Krypton, but I just don't feel a need to pick up Enemies and Allies. The first meeting of Superman and Batman in John Byrne's Man of Steel comic series was well done, and I'm not nostalgic for 1950's sci-fi.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this Batman novelization. I also enjoyed Batman No Man's Land.

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

14. RandyS

Yeah, No Man's Land was a good read. I'm still sorry they didn't novelize the first half of the story with Cataclysm though.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's always the challenge, but you can try to compensate by emphasizing the other senses, the ones that comic books can't convey. What does it feel like to flame on? Can Superman feel that breeze against his face? What does Darkseid's voice sound like? What does Gotham City smell like? Does heat-vision burn when it hits you?

Prose also gives you the opportunity to try to get into the characters' heads more. In theory, at least.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My GF brought this book home from the library today so I guess I'll be reading it even though I have no idea what it is! :p I enjoy reading the comic book novelizations but not the 'original' novels. I've been reading Knightfall and before that No Man's Land. While the format is lacking since there aren't any pretty colored pictures, you certainly get the most bang for your buck story wise!

17. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Kingdom Come handled that well.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I was just referring to the novel.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kingdom Come is my favourite comic book novelization...Elliot S. Maggins does a wonderful job of capturing the detail of the graphic novel and makes you feel like you're inside that universe. I'm also fond of Greg Cox's 52 and Infinite Crisis adaptions (not just saying that because he posts here I've stated it before to him, Greg any plans for a Final Crisis book?) and yes the Death of Superman and Knightfall books were good.

Last Days of Krypton was disapointing...I was hyped to read this book and was let down. Everything was just so different than what I was expecting, not to mention it was poorly written. The best book from Anderson that I've read since I've been aware of him was last year's Paul of Dune book with Brian Herbert (affectionately nicknamed Pinky and the Brain by many on this board over the years). I wouldn't reccomend it.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Funny you should ask. I've already written the novelizations for both COUNTDOWN and FINAL CRISIS. COUNTDOWN comes out in July (just in time for Shore Leave!). I don't think FINAL CRISIS has been scheduled yet.

Thanks for asking!