Time for a black or Latino Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gaith, May 31, 2010.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

io9 thinks so, and while I don't agree with all the points of their "rant" (while the military does have a sorry record dealing with African-Americans, a black Captain America would have been pretty awkward, historically speaking, and Will Smith is too old for the part anyway), I'm in favor of giving it a try with Spider-Man. Why not?

Here's one sort of person who shouldn't be cast: a Brit or other non-American-raised kid. Just say no!

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the Spider-Man in the 2099 (or something) comic series a Latino?

And if he's wearin' a full body costume, what difference does his skin tone make, anyway?

3. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

^ Yeah. Miguel O'Hara. I remember that one.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoops, meant to put a question mark on the thread title, and a poll, too.

@ od0 ital: you do realize that there will be scenes of Parker without the suit on, right? So it wouldn't do to paint an actor purple before filming his every shot, nor would it do to cast a girl. Well, unless it was a cute girl... with a crush on redheaded Mary Jane... Great Scott. Bring on Spider-Girl immediately! :bolian:

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Randomly turning white superheroes black is dumb.

There are black superheroes out there like Blade and War Machine.

6. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread isn't going to end well.

Anyway...I think people are trying to make this about race when it isn't. To me, it's a perfectly valid statement to say "let's stick to the look of the comic book as closely as possible". For instance, a lot of fans might not want Spider-Man to be blond or freckled. That doesn't mean that anybody has anything against people with those traits. From that perspective, skin color is just another trait.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Th0S8fajB8[/yt]

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I, for one, will not be completely satisfied until they get an actual Kryptonian to play Superman. I mean, c'mon, Hollywood...stop being racist.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Peter's Mom was Puerto Rican. :shifty:

10. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Everytime there's even a remote possibility of a franchise reboot out comes the "Time for a black, latino, or female _________ (James Bond, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Starbuck :shifty:)."

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    While I don't mind some diversity, sometimes we are used to the way a character looks. For instance, I'm used to seeing a white guy portray Batman; but a character like The Saint (which hasn't really been seen since Roger Moore; and don't mention that horrific Val Kilmer film)...could be portrayed by an Asian, black, Latino, etc...

Now that I think of it, portraying Simon Templar was a dream role of mine; but, I think that's kind of been replaced by Superman...:lol:

Of course, it never is about race.:rolleyes:;):lol:

There are some double standards out there whenever the subject of ethnicity (which also encompasses skin color) comes out in terms of heroes, be it fictional or reality.

Anywho, this thread may be something I can use. I'm actually gathering info for a personal research project, which may turn into something bigger academically, as well as something for a writing project.

There are some--I'm actually one of them--who say the same thing about Asian superheroes (and possibly other non-white superheroes) randomly being turned into white superheroes...when there are many white superheroes out there.

SIDENOTE:

I do have a copy in a box, and I'm too lazy to search for it--especially since I'm doing three things at once right now (one of which is typing on Trektoday)--of Marvel's 'What if' of Batman, who was a black man, in a ridiculous suit; and Robin, who was a troubled Asian kid in a red bandana.

I still have yet to read it even though I bought it years ago; but, aside from the silly costume for 'Batman'....it looked interesting.

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It may be for some people, but not for everybody.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

if they want a hispanic superhero why not try petitioning Marvel to make a White Tiger movie? or to get a movie starring Rictor and Sunspot going or something.

14. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone remember the fiasco around 2003 when story broke out that Lois Lane was going to be played by Beyonce? :lol:

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

16. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As i said in the Prince of Persia thread, the character of Peter Parker has never been defined by his ethnicity. So if they find a brilliant young black or latino actor then i'd have absolutely no issue with them taking the part.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

For crying out loud, not this crap again!

How many threads do we need on this? There is no reason beyond people trying to make themselves feel better to do this. ""'

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i want chinese wolverine!

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that had less to do about race and more to do with that it was Beyonce. :p

20. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Indeed. Beyonce shouldn't be portraying anyone, including Beyonce.

I guess an ethnic minority Spider-Man would work, although I really don't see anyone doing a better job than Tobey Maguire already did. The reboot is a sham and an abomination and Spider-Man 3 wasn't that bad. :(