Space Battleship Yamamoto: The Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other than old stuff from my childhood like Astro Boy and Gigantor, I find anime unwatchable. The everyone-looks-like-a-child-except-for-the-odd-ones-who-are-ridiculous-caricatures character design grates on me.

2. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re Dennis Post 20: Yes, they do. I'm surprised by how...military...their live action counterparts look...costume wise, and yet are still very faithful to the animated style.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I for one believe that is you reboot Starblazers and turn it in to the live action series i would could well. Remove the cartoon camp and nonsense, make it notch darker and keep alot of the visual elements and unique scifi concepts close to the original. I would love to see a live action full cgi Yamato vs. the Comet empire myself!

4. DarylCarpenter

DarylCarpenter Captain Captain

Which leaves us with the problem of the Yamato looking like this today:

[​IMG]

Nothing some handy space-glue couldn't fix in a few minutes, I guess.

5. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    well... I imagine it be in some other multi-dimensional universe where it doesn't need to look like your picture...
    it looks like whatever it needs to be.
    :razz:

6. Sgt. Sacrament

Sgt. Sacrament Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree, especially about the costumes. I never thought that they'd go with the arrow on the front of the uniforms, but they did, and it looks fine. If you didn't know that the cartoon had the arrows, you wouldn't even notice.

7. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Why shouldn't they? They have as much right as Americans do to make big budget sci-fi movies-the more, the merrier, I say.:cool::)

8. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    he probably thinks bollywood shouldn't exist either.

9. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I really hope they send this movie over here! I love Starblazers!

10. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the dubbed, serialized US version when I was a kid and was amazed at how sophisticated it was. This movie looks fantastic.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

FYI - The released a new Space battleship Yamato anime film in Japan very recently (12/12/09):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG56x47i1Ng&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llG4Y1ca0U

One link is the redone opening theme; the second link is a promo bit they did prior to the release of the film. Since Space Cruiser Yamato was what got me into anime in highschool back in 1978 (I saw the compilation film where they KEPT the original names and story, and then later the Starblazers U.S. dub version of Quest for Iscandar) - but I have to say, I still love the Japanese version of the opening theme to this day.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's a joke.

13. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Thanks.

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I just want to know if they will make Desslok blue! :D

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just went to Youtube to hear the original Yamato opening, imagine my surprise to find that it's actually sung the same way as Star Blazers.:lol:

I wish the DVD's weren't so expensive, $130 is rather steep.

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

You are right about the DVDs. I know the starblazer website occasionally has deals on the sets so you might want to check there.

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah, same tune different words. It's awesome, tho. Nowadays, it's kinda the unofficial anthem of the Japanese Navy. They actually play it for official events and such.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Theme songs for their cartoons are a pretty big deal. Singers actually perform them at concerts:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXEiMOFth7g[/yt]

19. Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin Commander

se keeplein mind, if my English is not so good. The friend in industry pointed to me to this discussion. Moreover, I have not got angry such for a long time. We to whom you reason that we (Japanese) are not good cartoonists, and ? KI and we do not learn how to pull now worsen you. By mistake, it so dislikes a foreigner that this is not believed, and is a blind patriotism principle and bigotry, hubris. By the way, I am almost speaking to the map and the marine smallness animal. Getting to know that such ignorant people exist in the world reduces my impression about North America the top more. By the way, your President is foolish. Moreover, Florida is made spoilt. In Japan, it is the tradition which can be proud of our animation. Moreover, we have our style and style which differenings. It proposes that you take back I; insults it is [ insults ] an insult to suggest that we cannot pull. It does not have work by the New World Order. Please do not insult our culture and our drawing. Miyazaki is Kami. He can pull a Œy‘Å American better than you. They to which you, an American (your Disney movie), and people resemble rubber all animated [ to the existing excess ] and are unreal. There is "an emperor's new groove (New Groove)."You insulted the amount of cultural larges of mine and me. Please cancel what you said. Otherwise, other things in animation industry of Japan will hear it about this. Probably even Miyazaki is him himself.

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow.

Dude, relax, it's a taste thing. Dennis doesn't like anime, the style (or at least the stereotype, since all anime doesn't look the same). He wasn't slamming the whole of Japanese culture, or even anime itself. Just said it wasn't his thing.

Least I assume that's what you were talking about since it's kinda hard to tell. And if I got your position wrong, Dennis, please correct me.

Me, I love anime, but the idea that someone saying that it's not his thing would inspire a post like the above...

...is kinda funny.

:rommie: