Tell me about St. Louis Metro Area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ThunderAeroI, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be relocating to St. Louis in the near future and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the city/metro area. Places to avoid, places to go, etc.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In the future it'll be reborn as a town called Defiance.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've not lived there since 1987, so don't know what it's like anymore. Most of the newer suburbs at the time were in the west county area, or St. Charles County. Most of my growing up experience (1958-1970) was to the south in Jefferson County which was still pretty rural along I-55, which was put in while I was living down there.

Fox High School, Class of '69.

4. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

As for places to avoid, the city of East St. Louis is a rather famous, blighted, and dangerous area.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like St. Louis very much. I lived there for four years (I went to Wash. U. for college) and I was very comfortable there. It has a decent light rail system - which, unfortunately, it didn't have when I was there :sigh: - and the traffic is not too bad.

Thunder, I know I talk about baseball a lot - maybe too much - but even if you're not a fan, check out a game at Busch Stadium every so often. It's an awesome experience, even if you're not really into baseball. Cardinals fans are some of the best in the business. And it's a very nice ballpark as well.

Also, you might try going up in the Arch, checking out the science center near Forest Park, and see if you can tour the Anheuser-Busch brewery. Union Station is also very nice - especially if you like fudge:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h25lDNbCE[/yt]

Fun fact: Scott Bakula is from St. Louis. (Specifically, Kirkwood, which is a suburb thereof.)

And I think Steve Mizerany still does the occasional commercial... :lol:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Melakon

That's because I was born there.

Last time I went through Kirkwood, railroad tracks ran across Lindbergh Road and crossing gates came down.

And I think the Museum of Transportation is near there. When I was last there in the 80s, you could still climb into some of the old railroad cars.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.. Necro Threading...

I now live in St. Louis. Who lives here too. Give me some ideas on how to spend my time and meet people. Im such a nerd.

8. Melakon

What part of town are you in? I'm no longer there unfortunately.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I lived there from 1997-2006. I didn't really integrate well there, but one of the things my wife and I (and later kids) liked was that there are a lot of free things to do there, like the Science Center and the Zoo. If you're at all into biking, look into the trails all around Forest Park and the K-T trail.

10. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

There are a few of us around. If you are looking for good places to hang out, I recommend the Central West End and the U. City Loop (I would assume that Mr. Laser Beam would know the latter). If you are looking for good burgers, you should try Blueberry Hill. By the way, Melakon, the Kirkwood Station is still in use (I had to avoid the train when I was in Kirkwood last Monday).

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I ever hung out by the Loop that much when I was in STL. Maybe I should rectify this situation (I definitely plan on going back to the city once they finish Ballpark Village).