General Music Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JayOwl, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Seriously though, does anyone actually REALLY like classic music? I'm probably equal parts classic fan as I am contemporary fan, asides form the usual timeless composers such as Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Elgar, Beethoven, etc - I'm really into some modern composers like Holst, particularly the interpretations of his compositions like The Planets, which everybody knows. I think my favourite version of the aforementioned suite is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra/James Levine arrangements which are magnificent - Mars, in particular is so powerfully performed that it's hard to listen to the London Symphony Orchestra's original recording after you've heard it.

I'm really into a lot of media composers too, I'm a pretty active gamer and video game music, particularly in the modern era (where monophonic NES style tracks went out the window in favour of "actually this sounds like a movie" style tracks) and in particular, I highly rate the composers of the Final Fantasy franchise of games. Some stuff has been done to death though, the Latin and Gregorian style chanting and Nordic warrior inspired stuff just doesn't work, unless you are Jeremy Soule - in which case you can apply the bored to tears stuff to a game like Skyrim and make it sound fresh and absolutely awe inspiring.

Anyway, enough about classical for now. In terms of contemporary music, I'm pretty eclectic and don't have a particular style of music that I cling to. I'm what you might call a musician, although I'm not a professional and I'm not very active currently, nor am I up for talking about it - I'm just simply going through a phase where I find it incredibly difficult to pick up a guitar, sit at a keyboard or even compose something on the computer without real instruments.

I'm not too into recent stuff, for instance, I find David Guetta to be extremely overrated and self serving. Almost every track of his I've heard (and I've heard a lot considering the amount of airplay the guy gets) sounds so similar that you could probably splice sections of each track together and create a new track that would sound exactly the same as every other track he has ever done, or will ever do! Not to mention that fact that the guy recruits female singers based on the fact that they look hot and nothing much else, sure they can sing but they can't sing and that's another reason why his tracks will always sound the same.

Don't like the hipster scene, I find bands like LMAO or whatever the fuck they are called to be intrusive. The last fucking thing I want to hear when I'm out shopping is "I'm sexy and I know it" in a repetitive, semi-whispered tone. :lol:

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i got:

You listen like

Anonymous

Who are you? I don't even know who you are. You don't even listen like a human being.

Based upon your affinity for artists like:
    Nothing I've every seen before

i guess Susumu Hirasawa is just too obscure.

3. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

LMFAO are about as far from the 'hipster scene' as you get. They fall under a similar category to David Guetta actually (who I stand more because he can make some incredible tracks when he's working with the right singers, when he works with the wrong ones... ugh). LMFAO are rappers with a dance beat. They are close to Hip-Hop but that's different from 'hipsters' who tend to be Pitchfork-loving alternative fans.

As for that test.. ugh.. for bollocks sake:

Seriously? Ah, whatever. I don't care if you don't like my music taste, test. It seems to come up with this whatever popular solo artist I put in.
    I tried putting Nightwish in on its own and it came up with Bella Swan. Marginally better but nowhere near what I wanted. :(

4. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is completely stupid.

I put Queen, Ry Cooder, Stone Temple Pilots, Bjork, The Cult and Janelle Monae, and it says I am a True Grunger :wtf:

Because I put STP presumably, who aren't even a grunge band. Certainly none of the others are.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, although it's pretty daunting to get into. Fortunately there's a range which is pretty much a 'greatest hits' collection for each composer. So far I think Dvorak is my favourite.

That stereotype quiz was a bit of a let down, I put loads in but it seemed to take about 4 bands and made my stereotype from that.

7. Pingfah

What was your stereotype?

Rock 'n Roller?

8. trekkiebaggio

Staredad :confused: Because of Queen, The Beatles and Zeppelin apparantly...

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

It's not easy to know where to start with classical music. I suppose it could be as easy as choosing a composer or a period of classical music you like, look around that body of work, and take off from there.

There are classical music compilation albums out there as well, showing some of the very best classical music and operatic works, for those looking to start from scratch - a family friend of ours borrowed our copy of "The Best Classical Music in the World... EVER!" in order to start his interest, for example.

Some even got into it from listening to other sources, like the "Hooked On Classics" series (although personally I find that series rather cheesy, and never really liked it :lol:). The soundtrack to Sid Meier's Civilization IV features a lot of Western classical music, which progresses as you go through the various eras of the game, from early plainchant through to works from composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and eventually John Adams.

I took musical instrument lessons at school, so I was introduced to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Chopin from my teachers while learning the piano and violin. Interestingly, my classical music interests began roughly with the Baroque and early Classical eras, and, as I grew up, it later evolved into loving the classical music of the early to mid 20th Century.

The early classical music, especially works by JS Bach, appeal to me on an intellectual basis, while later works by the likes of Elgar, Dvorak, Shostakovich and Rachmaninov appeal to my emotional core. Beethoven will always be my favourite, though. :)

The Proms concerts showcase all sorts of classical music including non-European and non-Western works, and from all eras, although there seems to be a particular focus on classical and orchestral music of the last 100 years or so, including brand new compositions. These concerts might be a good starting-off point for getting into contemporary classical music.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  10. trekkiebaggio

That's what I basically did at first. I looked on youtube and just clicked on random videos. Amazon is good where you can sample 30 seconds of a song off a cd, so you can get some impression as to what the music is like.

I do find it hard to remember the names of pieces of music though.

And yeah, Civ IV does have great background music!

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

These, plus a whole lot more in the Symphonic Metal genre are in my CD collection.

After Forever
    Amberian Dawn
    Apocalyptica
    Delain
    Edenbridge
    Epica
    Leaves' Eyes
    Lunatica
    Sirenia
    Tristania
    Visions Of Atlantis
    Xandria

Also more in the Goth Metal direction:

Elysion
    Lacuna Coil
    Memoira
    Nemesea
    Unsun
    We Are The Fallen

Power Metal:

Dragonforce
    Sonata Arctica

Death/Black/Mainstream/Other Metal:

Elvenking
    Engel
    Iron Maiden
    Moonspell
    Overtures
    Rob Zombie
    Savatage
    Sawlegen
    Seduce The Heaven

12. Pingfah

^ I have all of Iron Maiden's albums on CD, and several on vinyl, and a few Rob/White Zombie records, other than that I have nothing on your list.

Which would you recommend to a Trad Metal fan? I also like some thrash & groove metal, love Anthrax, Sepultura, Pantera.

13. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

The only symphonic metal band I've really heard of Nightwish, mostly thanks to the epic power of the Internet. :D

14. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

Same actually. Nightwish are great though. :)
    Linkin Part don't really count as "synthonic" and I prefer their more mellow stuff anyway.

I just ordered a ticket to see Owl City in London. This will be my first proper live concert. REALLY HAPPY AND EXCITED. :D

15. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Round my old schoolmates, I was known as the kid who loves Rush, and while that's still very true, I have made a BIG effort to not just like but get into a lot of other music in recent years. So while Rush, Marillion, and a host of proggy bands are still favs, I have expanded my tastes considerably.

It helps that my 15 year old daughter and I share the same kind of ear for music.. So we're constantly bouncing new bands off each other..

My current standard rotation usually includes (but is not limited to) these bands.... I'd link them to youtube, but today, my office firewall decided to block it..

Walk the Moon
    Panic! at the Disco
    Gotye
    The Sounds
    Within Temptation
    VnV Nation
    Steam Powered Giraffe (seriously!!)
    Keane (their new CD is the best one yet.. SO good!!)
    Modest Mouse
    Pythia

Just to name a few...

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, is this where the music thread is? :) Perfect timing!

I just went to the local music festival this year and boy was it epic. It's one of those festivals where it's one of the only local chances to experience good music for an entire weekend, where musicians will often mingle with fans and where musicians will often collaborate. A relaxed atmosphere kind of place.

I didn't attend on Saturday, but on Friday, the headliner was Daniel Lanois, musician and producer for artists such as U2 and Peter Gabriel, Neil Young, among others. You might remember a little song from the 90's called Jolie Louise, or perhaps The Maker, or The Messenger.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxK7LQ6nVTw[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23cK0yWw9q8[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1d2MtglWw[/yt]

Sunday night, WABAM! Steven Page (formerly of the Barenaked Ladies) brought the house down with an incredible show. If anyone here has the chance to go see him live, go do so. He's an incredible live performer. I was never much a fan of the Barenaked Ladies, but I was very aware of their songs, but seeing this show gave me a whole new respect for the man. He came out here as a simple duo with Craig Northly (Whom Canadians will likely recognize for writing the song that ended up being used as the Corner Gas theme). No drum kit, sound was incredibly perfect, and amazing. He made us soon forget that what we were seeing wasn't a full band. The man has some awesome pipes, and could easily be an operatic tenor if he wanted to, and by god, he's actually quite funny on stage.

The great thing about this event is all the music that can be discovered over the coarse of the weekend. Found so much good music and even bought a few albums and even gained some appreciation for styles of music I didn't even know I had in me to like. Look up the Boxcar Boys on Youtube if you're interested. Same with Seesham, Lotus & Son. Great stuff. Fun weekend. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.

17. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

TOTALLY agree with you here. They had some good ones before, but "Day Will Come", "Sovereign Light Cafe", "On The Road" and "Silenced By The Night" are all epic. I like all the others too, I just haven't listened to them much yet, I ought to get on to that. ;)

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit that I don't listen to much music anymore. I'm a fan of stuff from the 60s through the 80s, but it's hard for me to geting into much pop/rock past say, 1991.Even the new music I listen to is from old school bands like Van Halen, Rush, Journey, etc. I do like Brad Paisley, who I think is a phenominal guitar player with teriffic instrumental songs. His songs with lyrics are ok, but I prefer it when he just plays.Mainly I listen to podcasts and sportstalk radio. I'm old.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

TBH, I was once only a trad. metal fan. Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth and a few others. And classic/hard rock was always my main thing.

I also have all the Maiden CDs. The 2-disc 1995 releases that have all the B-side releases included.

But since I heard Nightwish & Kamelot on Sirius Hard Attack around 2005-2006, it's been all symph metal all the time. I also heard Lacuna Coil there for the first time.

I still listen to the occasional "other" stuff, since I do own a lot of CDs and I still buy the occasional "other" CD, like the new VH, the Doobie Brothers from a couple years ago. I'm waiting on the new KISS CD.

I would recommend anything in my original lists, at least to sample on youtube.

Seduce The Heaven, a Greek metal band, has a few different things going on in just their first release. I'm waiting for their first CD to hit.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTc4DfCUeA[/YT]

This is a good example of Moonspell's work. Brutal vocals and great musicianship. Though they change it up occasionally.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GarqzHjh6Vo&hd=1[/YT]

I also like prog metal like Dream Theater & Circus Maximus.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for starting this JayOwl. At another board I post at, they talk about music all the time, yet here other than the "What song are you listening to" thread, I don't know the musical tastes of you guys. Looking forward to following this thread, and maybe posting a thing or two.

Right now, I'm listening to mostly country music (Just bought and am listening to Zac Brown Band's new Album Uncaged ) but always look forward to hearing new recommendations. However, maybe it's just my "Mainstream" tastes in music, but whenever I hear a track from an album that is up for Album of the year on many critic's lists', I can't help but be a little bored. Again, maybe I'm not trying hard enough so musical recommendations are always good.

Can't say I have a favorite artist at the moment, but since I'm been following the country genre the most, I have to say maybe The Band Perry, Little Big Town and Zac Brown Band are my favorites currently. I also still really like the harmonies of The Dixie Chicks and SheDaisy.

As for non-country acts, I do admit to finding Lady Gaga catchy, and wish she would cut back on the get-up. I've seen her before she became Lady Gaga and she is beautiful and has a great voice. The whole Monster thing is just something I don't get.