Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If you think TNG's bluray sale numbers are disappointing, you should definitely look at ENT's bluray sale numbers! :devil:

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Given how unaware I am of its trackings, it must be that bad.

Seriously though, I would like to know the tracking of all the Trek blus. What's the best place that has the info?

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Wasn't TOS still outselling ENT when ENT was first released?

EDIT: This is the post I remembered reading from the ENT Blu-ray threat in the ENT forum. Posted by Scotty on July 29. No actual numbers, though, just an Amazon ranking.
    Not really that helpful.

4. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I'm not that worried for this sale numbers. They are OK. Season 1 was a curiosity so almost every fan wanted to buy day one. Now that it is something normal these releases I think there is no urgency to buy day 1, so the 2-3 month period is much better indicator of the success than the day 1/week 1 sale figures.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the more concerning thing would be that they're difficult to find at local retailers on release day now. I went to a couple different Wal-Mart's looking for season four and they hadn't even received any after carrying seasons one, two and three. Plus people around here were having issues finding it at Target, my local one had ordered something like four copies for release day and I haven't seen it in stock since.

I can't speak for how they're selling but I did notice it was tougher to find season four on retailers shelves (in my area).

6. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I know what you mean about Target, mine only gets 4 copies each time a release is made. 3 after I visit on release day when they open.

However, my local Best Buy always has at least 1 copy of each season on their shelves , 2 or 3 months after release day.

Fry's electronics has NEVER had them whenever I checked and they normally have
    every movie on release day.

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've had the same experience in the Bay Area. Target had 2-3 copies, Best Buy had 1, and Fry's never heard of it.

With supply like that, I don't see the point of brick-and-mortar stores anymore.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Why not just buy online?

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Some people may not even know the sets exist until they see them sitting on retailers shelves.

Not everyone is impatiently waiting for news on the next Star Trek home-video release. :techman:

10. jimbotron

One, to have it immediately. I waited to pre-order past seasons after the price drop, and it didn't come until Thursday.

Second, quality control. Too often I buy box sets like this, and it's dented or crunched.

11. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

If you pre-order from Amazon, it tends to arrive on release day. And I've never received a delivery from them that wasn't in bubble wrap or a padded mailer.

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe that only works if you have Amazon Prime or pay extra for the same-day delivery. I agree you're more likely to get a set in good condition through Amazon though as it seems in stores they're usually damaged by the security boxes they're placed in (especially at Target)

13. jimbotron

Last time, I waited to pre-order on Sunday until the price dropped to match Target. It didn't ship until Tuesday, the release date. And that was with Prime.

14. jimbotron

I rewatched BOBW Part II yesterday. In the scene where Picard's face was turned white, it was originally accomplished by making the shot B&W, and adding in the red laser.

I see with the HD remaster, they don't remove the color from the shot. You can still see the color of the set. Picard's face is digitally turned white instead. Much better.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Good catch. I'll watch for that on my next viewing.

16. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

You need to order more than a day in advance of the release date for it to work, obviously.

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're talking DVDs/BDs, you are totally correct. Anything else? Total crap shoot. I fear the day when a book gets ruined because of Amazon not plastic wrapping it and delivering it during a rainy day in Florida.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nah, that's not true. You can clearly see the color still in the probe, the background, and on part of Locutus' costume. Of course, the whole thing is already muted far beyond the quality shown on the Blu-ray, but stilll...

:)

19. jimbotron

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain