Remastered The Trouble With Tribbles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I've not seen any of the remastered episodes (I've not seen any TOS in a long time, as I think watching it now might alter my childhood memories of it--but I digress), but I was just wondering about the remastered TTWT.

Does it include the altered footage from "Trials and Tribblations"? And if it doesn't, should it have been included?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. jimcat

jimcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dear Bry_Sinclair,
    I wasn't quite quick enough to avoid the first short and sharp reply to this, and I'm afraid it's the sort of question that can come across as trying to poke "oldsters" with a sharp stick. Whilst my preference is not to "harmonise" the two episodes (one happens in an alternate time-stream, so the DS9 people genuinely aren't supposed to be in the original version of events), there are technical issues why they can't be melded, since DS9 can't be made as high-resolution as the 60's filmed "Star Trek". I won't pretend I understand why, though.
    The blu-ray boxed sets (assuming you want to go that route) have a veritable tribbleathon, with the original show, the animated series "sequel" and the DS9 episode all on one disc.

Although I can't say so for certain, there may be problems putting the two stories together anyway, since the internal chronology of "Trials and Tribble-ations" is significantly shorter than "The Trouble with Tribbles", at least as far as I've been able to judge.

Timon.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Oh, you really should start watching again - your memories will certainly be altered as you experience the greatness and magnificence of the world's finest television show and come to realise what you've been missing!

I don't know if I qualify as an "oldster" at 43 (depends on your perspective I guess), but I don't feel poked! ;)

You're wrong about HD DS9 - it could be mastered in high definition as it was shot on 35mm film. They're doing it with TNG as we speak.

5. Bry_Sinclair

My query was not meant to cause offense to anyone in any way, shape or form. It was just an idea that struck me randomly yesturday and thought I would ask.

I know in TAT that Sisko said he didn't think their trip was a pre-destination paradox, as they would be the first to notice if anything had changed, so that gave them a reason not to go back an alter TTWT. I was just wondering if it had been slipped into the remastered version was all.

6. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not something they should have done, because it's not part of the original episode. As a fun special feature, maybe they could have included a recut of the episode with those extra bits in it, but they shouldn't stick it in there as the main feature - that would just be distracting, and not what the project is about.

Besides, it would be impossible, because the new footage was only inserted into a select few shots, and there would be 'gaps' in the original footage - sections that did not contain the DS9 crew.

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

As a certified "oldster" at 65, and as a moderator on the forum, I didn't feel "poked" or prodded or any other irritation. IMO, the concensus is valid that the original ep should not have had any of the DS9 footage added. I also agree that a special version where that trick was done would be good for a few chuckles, but only as an "extra episode" if you will.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have been thoroughly enjoying Remastered and Enhanced TOS. I grew up on original Trek and TAS (actually saw TAS first), yet the Remastered is, visually, so much better that it enhances my viewing. In my mind, for instance, Enterprise was always detailed and beautiful because I worked on the plastic models. I always put as much detail into them as I could, so seeing a CLEAR and DETAILED Enterprise on the screen is awesome!

IMO, they used a "scalpel approach" as far as what they changed in the Remastered Trek. The exterior shots are more like what we are used to seeing onscreen these days... planets that look like NASA took the photos... ships with details... planetside shots that don't look so fake any more. Only the parts that look really dated were changed, IMO. As for the rest, it looks more detailed... then again I watched it on a 13-inch black & white TV as a kid!!:devil: In light of that, everything looks more detailed!:rommie:

I don't think the DS9 crew should be retconned into the Original Series episode of "The Trouble with Tribbles". That would be changing history.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Has there been ever a fan project to splice the two episodes together? Someoen did that for Pegasus and These are the Voyages, just to see how it would work.

There are two ways to approach this, keep the flow of the original episode mostly and just insert any scenes that have the DS9 crew standing around, like O'Brien and Bashir in therow of crewmen after the bar fight and Dax on the bridge.
    And maybe add in the Sisko scene at the end.

Or tell both stories and splice them together with both full stories intersecting were needed. Although I suspect in that case we would watch a whole lot of the TOS story, then a huge chunk of DS9 mostly with bits and pieces of TOS and then and and the end everything muddled together possibly with soem scenes hitting the cutting floor.
    You can't show both sides of the cargo bay scene without sacrificing a bit of at least one vantage point.

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Eh. I liked it.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they altered the original Tribbles (:scream:) to include the DS9 folk the thrill of watching Trials and Tribbleations for the first time would be lost.

Friends don't let friends watch Tribbleations without having seen Trouble first.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Although, having Dorn in TwT with no forehead ridges, but ridges in TaT would be funny.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

It's tremendous fun to review the "Tribbles Trilogy" in the original chronological order -TOS>TAS>DS9 - in one sitting.

14. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention that, in the real world, putting in the DS9 actors and removing the original actors (in the lineup scene after the bar fight) would cause all sorts of legal and financial problems with contracts, residual payments, etc...

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope. The residuals for the actors on ST expired decades ago, and the contracts they had were as day players.

Doug

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It would affect David Gerrold, since he'd now have to share the writing credit and residuals on the cannibalized hybrid episode with the DS9 writers.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

The purpose of the "remastered" DVD sets is to present cleaned up original episodes, PERIOD, so people can watch the original episodes. Why would they alter one of them with footage from a different TV series made decades later? It would prevent people who never saw Trouble from seeing the original episode, thus going against the purpose of the DVD set. It would be as senseless and unwelcome as adding footage from Voyager's "Flashback" into Star Trek VI.

18. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    An altered TwT with the TaT footage expertly spliced in would make for a great Easter Egg on Blu-Ray. As would Best of Both Worlds (TNG) spliced together with Emissary (DS9) footage and any other Battle of Wolf 359-related footage from the other shows.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

Agreed. I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan edit.

20. Bry_Sinclair

I wasn't sure on the idea myself, as both episodes would need to be spliced together for both plots to make sense. Otherwise I'd bee too distracted by the Niners.

That is one thing I love about TrekBBS: have a random thought or question thats bugged you, fire it out into the ether and see what comes back :bolian::bolian::bolian: