Ultimate Companion Special

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Aug 17, 2014.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

So I am watching the ultimate companion special. I have it on DVR, so not quite to the end yet, But there is an interview With Peter Capaldi, and I have from the previews, good feelings about his run as the ole Doc.. What is the take away from that special that you guys got? What are some interesting things about the special that could help give us sneak clues to the new series?

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Not much, really. Just another clip show, a retrospective promotional for the new season. I liked seeing the previous companions---wow, Noel Clarke has gotten muscular! I can't say I learned anything new; they didn't really given anything away. We know Capaldi's Doctor will be very different and that the relationship with Clara will be very different. There's nothing new here. It was just a nice fluff piece.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather enjoyed it, despite it being somewhat clumsy, if that's the right word to use. Davison, being my Doctor, was fun to watch. Was lovely to see the classic companions being interviewed and Barrowman is always good for some fun.

What it really left me with was an even bigger desire to see Davison don the cricket sweater once again...

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was definitely the selling point of that special, having a past "Doctor" host it, plus bringing three of his former co-stars.

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

Where was William Russel? Or Carol Anne Ford? Too last year I guess.

6. auntiehill

Just watched "The Ultimate Doctor" special, which is pretty much the same thing, only with the Doctor actors. However, we got a much longer interview with Capaldi at the end, so there was a little bit there.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I liked the special. Great to see more of Davison, and I liked the mix of old and new cast members, though I wish there'd been more of the former. Some of it was a bit truncated -- for instance, in the Murray Gold segment, they mentioned how ever new-series companion has had her own theme, but they only played Clara's. But it was fun overall, and it was great to see the different Doctors meeting -- I wish they'd been able to get Davison together with more of his fellow Doctors than just Tennant and Capaldi. (Tennant was probably easy to arrange, since he's Davison's son-in-law.)

I was particularly pleased to see Davison's TARDIS console make a return appearance. It's my favorite console.

8. Redfern

They even gave his console some "juice"! I expected it to do nothing but stand there. So I grinned like an idiot when Davison "Fonzied" the surface and the time rotor illuminated as it began to rise and fall. Okay, so it might not have been horribly difficult to "rig", but some shows like this can be so infernally "frugal", to politely put it.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Christopher

The "percussive maintenance" reminds me more of the Fourth Doctor in "State of Decay." "Definitely Earth technology.'

10. Redfern

Well, the reason I compared it to Fonzie's signature "bit" was due to a two panel cartoon I saw in the "Unpaid Scientic Advisor", a popular fanzine printed and distributed during the heyday of the show's PBS run. Chris Cooke was the cartoonist depicting the well remembered scene from "The Five Doctors". Tegan asks how the Doctor could pull off a stunt like that. davison's Doctor responds with the Fonz's thumbs up gesture.

Okay, so it might not have been that clever, but I liked Cooke's cartooning style, so it stuck with me.

Sincerely,

Bill

11. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The two specials aired tonight on SPACE here in Canada and I enjoyed them. I really liked the interviews with Capaldi, which gave me a little insight about what to expect with his Doctor. It was too bad Davison's meeting with his three successors was played so goofy - poor McGann barely had a chance to get a word in.

12. Christopher

^Two specials? Do you mean they showed The Five-ish Doctors Reboot as the other one?

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Companion and Doctor, it seems. Too bad I don't have SPACE anymore... Other options then. :P

Mark

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The other was the Ultimate Timelord. It was ok.

15. auntiehill

The two specials were the Ultimate Companion and the Ultimate Doctor.

16. Christopher

^I must've missed the second one. BBCA's schedule shows a special called The Ultimate Time Lord airing at 2 AM tomorrow; is that the one you mean?

17. auntiehill

Odd. On the show, they called it "The Ultimate Doctor" but the schedule calls it "The Ultimate Time Lord."

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I got lucky in that TELUS decided to offer a month's free subscription to the bundle of my choice, so I picked the one that includes the Space Channel. Peter Capaldi has 4 episodes to impress me enough to pay for it after that; otherwise, I'll just wait until it comes on Netflix.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Mine too. Davison looks to be in great health.

Somehow, I though Colin Baker was the tallest of the Doctors--memory...it doesn't serve.