"Terok Nor" and "Millenium"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, Jan 21, 2013.

1. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

My "Rising Son" turned up just after I finished Left Hand of Destiny.
    Just finished reading that and now it's time for the mirror universe ones.

Longish books so should take me a few days. :)

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the Millenum books I thought they were well written and really liked tthem alot.I decided to buy the omnibus that has all 3 books in it the print wa sin a larger size and easier to read than the original books.The Terok Nor books were good.I re-read them last summer.favorite son is one of my favorire books from the ds9 relaunch.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is weird. I would think if the third book would be the one that would sell the worst, from people who star the series but stop before they get to the end.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You would think so, but I've picked up trilogies for multiple series, some where when I picked them up the first and third books had gone out-of-print, but there were still copies of book two available, so I had too look for the other two parts on the second hand market.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not so weird. For a popular mini-series, the print run is often upped for each installment. With "Mission: Gamma", the first book had the word count of two-and-a-half (then-standard) ST novels and yet sold very well, so extra copies were ordered for each subsequent part. Meaning that Book 1, which was expensive to publish, ended up quickly falling out of print.

Some of the early duologies came out at the same time, and some trilogies came out two parts in one month and one in another. Lots of variables. Predicting print runs for the first edition of a novel must be an awful chore.

The middle volume of "Millennium" was the one I struggled with. The first book was supported by an audio novel and the final part was a great book.

6. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

This is exactly my situation as well. If you're a DS9 fan, I highly recommend getting Millenium (though not at the exclusion of other things, of course), ideally in the omnibus form. I think the authors "got" DS9 (the characters, the kinds of stories, the dialogue) very very well. It reads like the DS9 six-part post-finale cinematic event that we never got, but we all know we should've. ;) (But actually.)

Yup. He plays pretty prominently in there, actually (and, if you've read other Vaughn books, he has more background than some of the canon characters). That said, unless you're being completist, I don't really recommend it highly. It was good, but I felt Swallow underused a really rich canvas he had been given (post-TUC era). I also really didn't care for what he did with Valeris.

That's interesting; of the three of them, book 2 is probably the easiest for me. I'm a sucker for that kind of alt-history stuff. Book 3, though great, is, well, a bit complex.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Book 2 was also my favorite. I thought the "dueling Starfleets" angle was pretty cool. And I love that scene where the Defiant crew think they are about to be executed by airlock, and the Bajoran crewmembers volunteer to sacrifice themselves but Worf won't let them - he is impressed by their honor nonetheless. :techman:

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman::devil:
    I like the fact Jadzia Dax was able to get rid of Gul Dukat possed by the pah wraiths.It was great to see her have an important role in the story
    The warring Starfleets was a really different approach to take in the books.Iliked Jake and Nogs friendsip thatw as explored in the book.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well with mini-series I like to get all the parts either at once, or as they come out so that I can read them in order. Of course with "Millenium" I remember when I got the series, I ordered all 3 parts at once, but then the books came in backwards (starting with 3), and with about two weeks between each. I don't like starting a story and then skipping over the middle to read the end.