teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Except System Lords don't produce Go'Auld Offspring that inherit their memories, they produce Human Offspring who inherit their memories (Like Daniel's son). The Queens produces the Symbiont Offspring, that inherit the Queen's memories

2. gturner

gturner Admiral

That's true, although at times early on they were a lttle bit vague on fleshing that out. There were quite a few times when it was pretty obvious that a Goa'uld kept his "queen" out of the loop, and perhaps that would be a partial explanation.

We might be getting awfully close to some minor spoilers, though.

3. Sindatur

Oh, haven't we already seen the Hathor Queen?

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm skipping all those nice replies because I have a feeling there's something spoilerish in the discussion..

5. gturner

gturner Admiral

We haven't seen the Tok'ra queen on the planet that invented tritonin, have we? That's where we get the blank-slate symbiotes and the knowledge that it's up to the queen to impart knowledge as she chooses, or so I recall. For the life of me, I can't remember if that's in season 6 or 7.

Teakcake, the spoiler are pretty minor, discussing minutae of what you mostly already know about Goa'uld reproduction, but the particulars of how the show introduced various tidbits are minor spoilers refering to seasons and episodes, knowledge of which could spoil a couple of pretty cool revelations, a bit like finding out that the Goa'uld were eating their offspring in "Summit."

But as minor compensation, I confidently assert that two Goa'uld system lords were entirely responsible for the form of music known as "disco", and rap comes from a collaboration of Nihrti feat. Imhotep.

6. teacake

Oh well thank you for telling me! (About the spoilers being minor). I will finish reading the thread. I'm actually unable to watch Stargate tonight because of visitors :eek:

Damn them all!

Maybe I can get the visitors to watch the pilot.

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Fun fact: "2010" is the episode that gives Walter a first name. A previous episode had the name "Harriman" stitched on his uniform, though, so maybe he was borrowing someone's that day...

8. teacake

Well how is he going to do any laundry when he's forever dialing?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh boy, Walter's name. I warn you, this post is going to draw on some stuff from coming seasons. Nothing spoilery, but still.

Originally, the character had no name, was referred to only as "Technician" in the scripts and credits. However, his name said "Davis" so naturally, it was assumed his last name was Davis. There was an episode in season 1 where Hammond referred to him as "Airman" though there were many fans who thought he said "Harriman" and believed that to be his name. Eventually, in 2010 he's called Walter, making it seem at this point his name is Walter Davis.

Then in season 5 he begins wearing a flightsuit on duty with a name tag that includes first and last names, which identifies him as Norman Davis.

In season 8 the character's role expands, and they finally decide to start referring to him by name in the scripts (prior to this he was still just "Technician" in the scripts). Of course, someone realizes the problem with his name. It's already decided they'll stick with Walter for the first name, that's what was used in dialogue and therefore noticed by a larger percentage of the audience.

Unofortunately, they can't use the last name Davis, since there is or at least was at that time an actual Walter Davis serving in the US Air Force. And since he's the only Walter Davis in the Air Force there is some sort of legality that means TV shows/movies can't feature someone in the Air Force named that. If there had been two guys named Walter Davis in the USAF, they would have been allowed. Star Trek ran into a similar problem with one of the first names originally chosen for Captain Archer, they couldn't use it because there was only one person registered with that name in the US, and there needs to be either no one or a minimum of two.

So since they can't use Davis they remember back when a lot of people misheard the word Airman and thought his name was Harriman and decide they might as well go with that. And from season 8 onward the character is named Walter Harriman, and eve wears a name tag which says Harriman.

10. teacake

So it seems he really is not going home and just changing into stuff he finds in lost property.

11. gturner

gturner Admiral

The Russians solved that problem by visiting a water planet and attaching their laundry to the inner ring of the stargate, then dialing inactive addresses for about 45 minutes. Walter should've done the same, taking time to visit the cafeteria for some delicious Fruit Loops or porridge.

One thing I wish the show would've had more fun with was alien foods and Earth foods, with our people reacting to new spices and dishes and visitors commenting on various things we make, perhaps swapping ingredients (herbs and food crops) and recipes as part of a cultural exchange. Then you'd have people in Area 51 whose job is pretending they discovered some new spice on an expedition to the Amazon rain forest or the African Congo. Meanwhile people like the Tolan would be negotiating for the Colonel's secret recipe for KFC.

12. teacake

Apparently on the Greenpeace ship the Sea Shepherd they do the laundry by dragging their clothes behind the ship in nets.

Nice salty cleanness results.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well he has admitted to not wearing socks in one commentary. And being the chervon guy it's possible he worked at a Chervon station in the past.

14. Sindatur

Hmmm, I'd be concerned about sensitive parts getting chafed, with not rinsing out the salt

15. teacake

Menace: Daniel you twat if she looked like a gigantic replicator bug you wouldn't be crying like that.

16. teacake

The Sentinel: Kind of a drawn out jumble but it was a treat to see Henry Gibson:

[​IMG]

What happens to Greaves, did he die? Or become the new caretaker?

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now I'm imagining that scene at the end but with a giant Replicator bug laying there instead of the android girl. It's pretty funny.

18. gturner

gturner Admiral

Unfortunately they didn't recover any newspapers from the android's planet. I'd be curious to know whether the negative press and consumer reactions the android first generated was refering to a product by Google, Microsoft, or Apple, or whether Data's brother Lore ever had an illegitmate daughter.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Goa'uld reproduction has never made much sense. On multiple occasions we see queens spawning symbiotes without a male. That's unrealistic in the long run. You need an exchange of genes to prevent inbreeding and other problems. At the very least, each queen's line would diverge from the others so that every Goa'uld family becomes a different species!

Anyway, Apophis referred to Klorel as his son by having "seeded" the queen, meaning that symbiote is a direct child of Apophis' symbiote via direct sexual reproduction. How do we reconcile that with the other thing?

On top of that, the thing about eating the next generation to preserve themselves... well, that's plausible, but given the apparent numbers of the Goa'uld and their apparent rate of reproduction, I'm not sure it would be enough!

Mrs. Silvercrest and I discussed this and figured out how it could work. Basically, the Goa'uld have three genders-- male, female, and neuter. The females are the queens, naturally. They can spawn any number of offpring, and (given their apparent level of control) can select the gender-- but only when they have been impregnated by a male. They can spawn without a male-- but the results are always neuter. With a male, they can choose to spawn more males and females for the next generation, but probably most of them are still neuter. This would comprise the vast majority of the Goa'uld we see.

Obviously, breeding females are always queens. But it also seems likely that the breeding males would comprise the body of the System Lords. A neuter might be able to seize power, but he couldn't form a dynasty. Maybe not every breeding male is a System Lord, but every System Lord has to be a breeding male (with the exception of a few queens). With their sons waiting to take their place.

So, with only a limited number of breeding males in existence, and a limited number of breedable offspring, it would be a lot easier to keep their population under control. Instead of chowing down on hundreds/thousands/millions of symbiotes in some sort of massive binging ritual, all they have to do is kill the specific offspring who are a danger to them. Which explains why it appears to be a special ceremony, and why no one else is aware of it.

20. teacake

Meridian: Right. Ascended tentacle Daniel. Does this mean he is going to be appearing and saving the day with koans periodically? If there was anything that could annoy O'Neill more than an ascended koan babbler it's an ascended koan babbler that is Daniel. Too bad O'Neill has never seen Star Wars or he could make some Yoda jokes when this happens.

Also over the last few episodes it seems to me that O'Neill is getting stupider. As in, actually stupid not just putting on the stupid. Perhaps its the delivery? Something seems to have shifted.

I have just looked at the cover of my Season 6 dvds and Daniel is not on it. So I guess this is not temporary.