Macbook speaker question

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Unicron, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

My laptop's served me well for several years, but lately I've been curious about something. I've noticed sometimes, chiefly on YouTube, it sounds like whatever I'm listening to skips fairly often. This seems to happen even on videos which haven't seemed to skip before, yet I haven't noticed it when playing media like iTunes. Is this a potential hardware issue that's just associated with age, or is there something specific with YT's format that might be causing it?

2. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Just streaming problems in youtube.

3. Unicron

That's seeming to be the case, which is nice if it's on their end. It's seemed better today, and I've heard it's primarily a flash related problem.

4. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

Maybe update Flash via the company's website: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

And did you recently update your OS, maybe even to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?

5. Unicron

I haven't recently updated the OS (which is still a version of X) and I have a flash build that's fairly recent (not v11, but the most advanced 10 build).

6. spinnerlys

So it is either Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard I suppose?
    Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion are still a version of X, just that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion shed the "Mac" from its name in order to be more in line with "iOS".

To find out what Mac OS X version you run:
    [​IMG]
    Then maybe it is time to update, as many sites abandon older versions of Flash for their content.

7. Unicron

Yeah, I'm considering the latter although for the most part it still functions pretty well. My OS is the 10.5 version of Leopard.

8. Unicron

Well this is frustrating. It seems some of the stuff I like has already switched over to Flash 11, but that won't run on a 10.5 OS. :/ Is it worth downloading OS 10.6x?

9. spinnerlys

10.6 is worth it for me, it is the best Mac OS X version since 10.4 for me. 10.7 and 10.8 are not for me though, too much iOS-ification.
    Also know, that 10.6 cannot be downloaded "officially".

PS: 10.6 does not deviate from 10.5 that much, at least visually, as the most changes were made under the hood (getting rid of PPC code, introducing new APIs, and so on).

10. Unicron

Aren't there some official links for 10.6 download, since it's no longer the most recent version? I was looking at some Apple stuff last night even though I didn't download anything, and the links came from Wiki's page. I could be wrong of course.

11. spinnerlys

10.6 was never for download, 10.7 was the first OS Apple offered as download.
    Thus you are left with finding an overpriced used Retail DVD (originally it cost 29 USD, now it cost 80 to 120 USD via eBay or Amazon) or getting it via torrents.

12. Unicron

Is 10.7 a better option then? I have a question that's unrelated to speakers, but something I'm trying to learn more about. I've noticed lately that my unit tends to run hotter than it used to when running flash or games, and gets hot very quickly which didn't use to be the case. It seems to be even worse if the battery's charging, which doesn't surprise me. In Googling this it's seemed like this could be a thermal paste issue; my MB's in the right time frame and I've read that reapplying it is one common solution. Any advice would be welcome.