was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

i realise they wanted to differentiate between the prequel and the original and TNG but its almost like they go out of their way to call the ship 'Enterprise' only...never 'the enterprise'

did anyone ever utter 'the Enterprise' even once in the show?

2. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not that I remember. It did always irk me a bit for some reason. I guess it's some kind of subconscious prequel-lingo.

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember Tom Paris saying "The Voyager" early on and it sounded really wrong. I guessed "Enterprise" was just continuation of a writing style that had started on Voyager.

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, they did use it a few times in the series. I used Google's advanced search feature to scan Chakoteya.net for all instances where a "the" was used before "Enterprise". Here are the results:

5. Khan 2.0

nice. thanks

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That one doesn't count, since the article goes with "sensor logs."

The change in the later series to dropping the article, as I understand it, was done to reflect preferred modern US Naval parlance. Apparently you're only supposed to use "the" if you include "USS," because you're treating the abbreviation as equivalent to the full phrase -- so you'd refer to "the USS Shipname," because you're effectively saying "the United States Ship Shipname." But otherwise, you treat the name the same way you'd treat a personal name, i.e. with no article before it.

Note, also, that several Trek novelists were referring to Kirk's ship as "Enterprise" rather than "the Enterprise" way back in the 1980s, before even TNG existed. Which I figure was because they understood Naval conventions better than the producers of the shows and movies did.

So they didn't change the usage just to be different from TOS, they changed it because they improved their research.

7. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

"the enterprise" was used 11 times.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. Yanks

A couple that M missed:

Well done M :bolian:

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

They shifted more towards just calling the ship Enterprise after VOY, where after the first few episodes it became known as Voyager--seeing as "the Voyager" doesn't really sound right, not like the Enterprise or the Defiant.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's total conditioning from the show at work. Had the characters regularly called her "the Voyager" from the start, it wouldn't sound wrong.

11. jedbates

jedbates Ensign Newbie

Hello, new here, even if the writers went out of there way with the referrals to enterprise or the enterprise name when you are assigned to a posting; as in my case Fort Bragg after awhile you tend to call it Bragg. Same thing with ships IE USCGC Spencer we called it Spencer after being there a few cruises. and other names..........

12. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember being bothered that they called the Nx-01 just "Enterprise". I would feel that it being the only "Real" starship of the time, that they would feel inclined to call her "THE Enterprise". It also bothered me that it was an "NX" class rather than an "Enterprise" Class. Afterall, didnt the other starships that were shown have "NX" on their hull?

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with you on this point. NX signifies "prototype". And the first ship is usually named for the class. It should have been the Enterprise class ship, Enterprise, NX-01. Then they launch the Enterprise class ship, Columbia, NCC-02 (or would that be NCC-01?).

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

NX was the designation used for experimental starships in the Federation Starfleet. Earth's Starfleet obviously followed different rules.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think they were following the established precedent of TOS class designations like DY-100 and J-class. There was evidence that older ship classes used letter designations, so they combined that with the established usage of "NX."

16. Yanks

Eh.... I think they just screwed it up.

Kind of like 1701-B, C, D, & E.

17. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

This is something that always bothered me too in the beginning of Enterprise, but I got used to it. It annoys me more in later work in the novels. For example in DGRIII's Serpents Among The Ruins and Allegiance In Exile, he did the same thing, referring to the E-B and the 1701 as Enterprise compared to saying "the" Enterprise. It took me out of the story for a few seconds.

18. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised how attached some people are to "the". Do you all refer to yourselves as "the [your name]"? No? Why not? Then why should Enterprise - a proper noun, like your name - be different?

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Because people aren't ships?
    :confused:

20. Khan 2.0