New Riddick thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Deckerd, May 22, 2012.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That does look very good. It also looks like the first movie in many ways. I too have to rewatch the first two movies because the tone of these films seem all over the place.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It looks a lot like Pitch Black only with a bigger budget. I'm actually really stoked for this now.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I am so glad they finally got another one made!

Looks like Pitch Black with a fun twist. As long as they explain what happened to get Ridick to the planet I'll be happy.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm completely agree with the first part, but not the second. Because it looks like a giant rethread, I'm not so interested. I'll probably still see it but my expectations are fairly low.

5. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Funny, re-watched the films recently. But the new trailer seems to lack a clear new direction for the third piece. It does indeed look like Pitch Black - not sure if that's a good thing...

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Really looking forward to this movie, love the series.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks fun and like Pitch Black 2.0. I'll definitely see it.
    But I still think I'd prefer to see a true sequel to Chronicles and explore the universe that was set up in it more.

8. Gojira

Chronicles, for some reason, doesn't fit with these two movies. It almost seems like a different franchise. I know I haven't seen the third movie, I am just going from the looks and the tone of the films.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In says in the description on wikipedia, which I've seen before on other sites, that he is "betrayed by his own kind and left on a desolate planet...".

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Lord and Dame Vaako are to blame for this. Probably yes.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Definitely Pitch Black 2 vibe, but with fx aesthetics of Chronicles. Works for me :)

Is Urban still in this though as rumoured? Or just a cameo.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

He has a cameo at the start of the film. It does take place a few months after the events of "The Chronicles of Riddick".

This is going to be awesome. Twohy really wanted to go back and recapture "Pitch Black" but without losing what was established and expanded in "The Chronicles of Riddick". I think those that did have a problem with the latter film will be very pleased with "Riddick". It really goes back to the basics of the concept. I also get the feeling that Diesel really enjoys playing the character.

13. Gojira

^ I wanted to make a comment about Vin Diesel. I do like him and do enjoy his movies there has always been something about his acting that I had a difficult time figuring out. People like Clint Eastwood and Stallone can really project that tough persona. With Diesel I always get the impression that he is a real nice guy trying to act tough, so sometimes his characters come off that way too.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory for a while now has been that Urban's character will be one of the people who dumps him off on the planet. He was a bad guy right? I haven't watch Chronicles in ages and don't really remember much of it. I definitely plan on rewatching both it and Pitch Black before I see this one.

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

You keep what you kill. Really like the Riddickverse and enjoy the directors cut of Chronicles. Riddick does need a continuing nemesis though and Toomes is just to skitish.

16. bigdaddy

Yeah he seems like a great friendly guy. I'd love to just hang out with him for a day.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad to see Riddick back. I always felt that Chronicles was pilloried a bit unfairly. The movie wasn't perfect but I thought it was a good space opera film. I liked the Necromongers a lot and Dame Vaako was one sexy space Lady MacBeth.

As for the new film it seems like Twohy and Diesel have distilled everything down to what they think the fans want, more monsters and more bounty hunters. Hopefully they will get better results this time than with Chronicles. I'm pleased to see Katee Sackhoff in this. Though I'm not so sure about the monsters this time. I really liked the ones from Pitch Black.

Looking forward to check this out when it opens.

18. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Besides his ramblings at the i don't remember which republican convention i never heard a story about Eastwood being a bastard to people.

19. bigdaddy

The story is also dictated by the budget. They had a big budget for the sequel, and a smaller, more Pitch Black budget for this new one.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral