Imagining Lord of the Rings set in the Star Trek Universe

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mars, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

What if Sauron was a Star Trek alien and he crafted this one ring to rule them all? Star Trek has its elves (Vulcans and Romulans) Are there Star Trek equivalents to Dwarves, hobbits, orcs, and goblins for example. Do Klingons count as Orcs? what do you think?

2. Lt. Zanne

Lt. Zanne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Tellarites could be dwarves?!?!? They are short statured and short tempered, yes? ;D

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Star Trek TOS has the now-standard trifecta of Humans-Orcs-Elves (Earth-Vulcan-Klingon), like Starcraft had Terran-Zerg-Protoss, etc.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

First, explain how, other than in the most superficial ways, do LOTR Elves resemble ST Vulcans. How can Leolas's character be "played" by a Vulcan?

Second. what with the obsession in recasting various SF/F series with Star Trek characters? What next, Dune told with Star Trek characters? We can make all the Mentats into Vulcans!!!! Cuz they're smart and stuff!!!

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

One word. Holodeck.

6. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Elves in their world are a magical race. In Star Trek science is magic and Vulcans are a scientific race, they believe in science, and in the Star Trek movie they are the ones responsible for the red matter, and much like the elves in Lord of the Rings, the Vulcans are also looking for a new home. In many ways Star Trek resembles Middle Earth except with science replacing the magic.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's a bit of a stretch

If science is magic, then the Vulcans' would be Wizards. What does Red Matter have to do with the LOTR connection? I don't recall the Elves looking for a new home ( they already have one), instead they were leaving Middle-Earth for the West. So unless the Vulcans are leaving the Federation, I don't see the parallel.

If you want Lord of the Rings in space, try Babylon Five.

8. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

Sauron couldn't be a space alien because he is one of the Ainur, one of a race of spiritual beings responsible for the creation of the Earth. He is *of* the Earth, as are the wizards. The wizards just chose to take human form.

And the Elves aren't just "looking for a new home" when they travel west. They were invited to go live with the Ainur, to a place that is essentially like another dimension.

Klingons are not like orcs either. Orcs are genetically twisted and corrupt Elves, now evil to the core. Klingons are warriors, but they are a civilized and intelligent society.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're comparing apples to oranges by putting them in a blender.

Vulcans are not elves. There is no comparison.

Vulcans live a countable number of years while elves are immortal. They cannot die of old age, but if they're killed by other means, they reincarnate elsewhere.

Elves can, however, die of grief, which means their emotional state is nothing like that of Vulcans.

Vulcans require sleep; elves do not.

Vulcan science is no more equivalent to magic than human science is.

And Tolkien never says his elves have pointed ears.

Anyway, what comparison could you possibly make between Klingons and orcs? They both sweat a lot?

10. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

^ They served similar roles as antagonists in their respective universes, by the 24th century, Klingons were retired from that role, and instead it was taken up by Cardassians for a time.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a fundamental disconnect between LOTR and Star Trek. Tolkien was trying to preserve an idealized past while Roddenberry was jumping ahead to an idealistic future.

Sure, you can switch LOTR around so that the goal is to reach the future rather than preserve the past, but then you've gutted LOTR and replaced it with Star Trek rather than fused the two.

If you ignore what LOTR is actually about and just preserve the trappings, then I'm sure they could make a good Star Trek story. Sauron is some evil, superpowered megalomanic alien, etc.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Lens flares were invented by Morgoth.

13. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

All stories have antagonists, otherwise the characters would have nothing to do. Beyond that, there are no similarities.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

What I was going to say.

15. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best sci-fi series ever.

If you are a Fiver say.
    WE live for the one
    We die for the one.
    :cool:

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd call B5 "best sci-fi series ever" (actually, I wouldn't), but it was certainly very heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings.

See here and here.

I used to know of other sites with examples, but they are either gone or I just can't find them now.