Comfort Film

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by IzzyAtWarp9, Jul 15, 2013.

1. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

OK I've literqally just posted a thread like this that's Trek-specific but ah well.

I haven't really seen that many movies because I just keep rewatching the same ones. Over and over and over and over and OVER. Like, I had a long coach journey two weeks ago and me and my friend watched Pitch Perfect on my iPod which reminded me how GOOOOOD it is. I have watched it 4 times since then.
    Sooooo I would love to hear some of your comfort movies and a reason why so I can watch some :)

Also my main comfort film is The Princess Bride. It's pretty old but OMG it is so good. It's a young film and it's kinda like a adventure-comedy-fairytale (WATCH IT)

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Since you basically started with a musical i'd recommend Moulin Rouge.. i love Baz Luhrman movies and this one is awesome. Pop and classic songs covered by some great actors who turn out to be decent singers (i especially love the medley near the beginning of the movie, the song Roxanne made up as a Tango and the heartbreaking "The Show must go on").

Another one is Big Fish by Tim Burton.. an awesome movie about stories and fantasy in general.

Last pick would be Love actually.. a collection of single stories loosely connected about all aspects of love. Love across all borders, simple sex, unrequited love etc.. it just makes me feel good whenever i've been disappointed by someone and need to remind myself that people do tend to be good (most of them that is).

3. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably be a Carry On film - Carry On Girls, At your Convenience, Cabby - something like that. Or a Danielle Steele tv movie. (All quality stuff, I know! :guffaw:)

4. IzzyAtWarp9

Yeah I've been reccomended Moulin Rouge by others I'll look it up

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Under the Tuscan Sun for romance and landscapes.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Harry Met Sally, Fletch, The Hunt For Red October, Field of Dreams - I could literally watch any of these movies any time for any reason; whether I'm happy, sad, bored, sick, etc. My wife and I quote WHMS and FOD all the time to each other (she couldn't care less about Fletch or Red October).

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Old horror movies are my comfort food. Just last night I was watching MADHOUSE with Vincent Price and Peter Cushing.

Tonight, maybe THEATER OF BLOOD with Price and Diana Rigg.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. It may be a harrowing tale of a necrophiliac, voyeuristic romance but.. I've probably seen it hundreds of times.

I fucking love Theatre of Blood. I'd rate a ton of Vincent Price films as comfort viewing for me, notably The Pit and the Pendulum, House on Haunted Hill and Masque of the Red Death.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Any Tarantino film
    Raising Arizona
    Galaxyquest

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dave
    Apollo 13
    Forrest Gump
    The Truman Show

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fort Apache
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Star Wars
    American Graffiti

12. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I have my favorite movies, which are the ones that tell great stories, have fantastic characters and just suck me in so much that I feel like I'm taking their journey with them.

But movies that I watch a million times are different from those. These are movies that are easy to watch and for whatever reason puts me in a good mood every time I watch them. Like you said, comfort films.

For me Napoleon Dynamite would be #1. It's a very innocent little PG movie that came out in 2004. It hit big that summer at the box office, but kind of fell off the radar shortly after that. I caught the movie at a special midnight screening right before it was released. And I almost died laughing. It's a very slice-of-life movie. The setting is small-town Idaho, the characters are unremarkable and there's no villain that the protagonist must overcome. The closest would be the class election against the popular girl, but she's more of a speedbump in the story than anything else.

A close second would be Midnight Madness, a Disney film from 1980. Seems they were trying to latch on to the success of Animal House by releasing their own college hijinx movie about a scavenger hunt in Los Angeles. Stephen Furst from Animal House plays one of the main characters and so does Michael J. Fox. My love for this movie could just be nostalgic. We taped it off of HBO back in the '80s and wore the tape out pretty good. I've since bought it on DVD and it still entertains me. Even if it is just nostalgia, it's one of those movies that I watch on a rainy day.

13. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap! I just came in here to post that. I can literally sit through it any time it's on

Also
    Back To The Future Trilogy
    The Green Mile
    (And believe it or not) Wall-E

there's more, but these are the ones that jumped into my head

14. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Back to the Future and Star Wars (1977)

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have several favorites that I usually watch at least once a year, sometimes when I'm sick or really depressed: Doc Hollywood, Uncle Buck, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Nobody's Fool and Soylent Green .

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Waking Ned Devine. Absolutely love that movie. Along the same lines is a French-Canadian movie called Seducing Dr Lewis, with a small town on an island trying to lure a Doctor and get him to stay and become a local resident, all in a manner of schemes and shenanigans. Brilliant movie,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366532/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_11

17. IzzyAtWarp9

Wow a Disney film I haven't heard of :cardie:!! Must watch immediately. I need to watch Back To The Future as well it sounds great. Thanks for ideas so far guys!

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Any Bond movie, any Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie, The Blues Brothers, Carry On Cleo, Carry On Up The Khyber, Carry On Screaming, Superman II, Top Secret, any Austin Powers movie...

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I only rarely rewatch movies, and often when I do, it's because I haven't seen them for so long that my memory of them is hazy. Also, what with Netflix, I stopped buying dvds years and years ago, particularly since blu-ray is the new/best format, and since I still don't have a blu player, I'm in no hurry to start a new collection.

The movie I've seen the most is The Mummy. But for sick/fever days, when I just want to see something cheerful, colorful, and funny, my current go-to pic would have to be...

[​IMG]

It's warm-hearted, it's hilarious, it takes place in the kind of suburb that seems impossibly exotic to a city boy like moi, the songs are great, Samberg's got one of the most expressive comic faces in contemporary movies, and Fisher is quite simply mesmerizing.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I have to ask: which version of THE MUMMY: Karloff, Christopher Lee, or Brendan Fraser?