Steven Moffat - PR Nightmare

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Nov 15, 2015.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So reports coming in from the Doctor Who Festival that Moffat hasn't exactly been winning people over with his charm.

Getting stropy with people who ask him what's happening next year. Telling an Autistic man who said that he wasn't fond of Matt Smith, "You remember those charm school lessons? You need to go back and tell them you need another one". Being rude to a child who said they didn't like the Daleks and peppering his speech with swear words in front of lots of children.

Can't imagine Russell melting down so badly regardless of the circumstances.

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't he look tired to you?

3. StCoop

Since he wanted this Christmas to be his last episode, the question has to be asked, why the hell isn't it?

Having another full series (sometime in 2017) with someone who doesn't want to be there is hardly the solution to righting the problems that have happened this year.

4. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is that a quote? If, then I like it. :D

Are there any links to the complaints?

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidbEhL0teE[/yt]

As for the OP - any actual sources for these claims?

6. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, that is what I had in mind. :D

7. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Because they can't find anyone to replace him yet.

Yes, Doctor Who may be relatively popular, but that doesn't mean a writer will want to write for it. It certainly doesn't mean someone will want the thankless and tiring job of showrunner.

Gatiss for example, a major Who fan, has made it quite clear that the only shows he wants to be in charge of are HIS shows. He doesn't want to spend most of his time on something that he didn't create himself (because, you know, creators like to create).

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Bring back RTD! :D

9. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please don't these be the JNT years...

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be curious what the BBC would be looking for in Moffat's replacement.

I truly think the show would benefit from an American producer, especially one with experience running a Writer's Room. Ira Steven Behr, formerly of Deep Space Nine, now with Outlander, might be a really good choice.

Another factor with Gatiss is his acting work. He has a wide range of activities and interests that he would have to give up if he took on Doctor Who.

11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see some proof of this before we just blindly believe he said these things.

13. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I agree, but the BBC is probably paying peanuts in comparison to what Ira Steven Behr is used to.

I'm sure he said some of these things, but I doubt he was intending to be cruel and I suspect people are taking it out of context. And some other people just have an axe to grind and will twist a good natured joke into being a verbal attack.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I could go the rest of my life without reading another "clever" comment about Moffat using the "tired" quote. :rolleyes:

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Steady on, let's not forget how bad a lot of the episodes he oversaw were. Jeez, he wrote many of the worst...

16. StCoop

Here's one report from someone there.

https://twitter.com/CultBoxTV

"Overriding memory of @DWFestival today: Steven Moffat being unforgivably cruel to an autistic guy who asked a question in Q&A."

"If Moffat genuinely couldn't hear the poor guy, I sincerely hope he's tracked him down and apologised since. It was horrible to watch."

"Even after he'd explained that he was autistic when a comment about liking Series 8 because it felt like the RTD era was misinterpreted.."

"...as criticising Matt Smith, he continued to lay into the fan in front of a packed audience of people. Genuinely disgusted to be honest."

"It was evident (to anyone with any sense or compassion) almost as soon as he took the mike, literally shaking, that he was on the spectrum."

You know, it's not exactly a State Secret that Moffat is a bully (just ask Caroline Skinner, oh wait, you can't) but given that he's being paid good money to turn up at a Convemtion and interact with fans, many of whom are children, you think he'd make some effort.

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, this all sounds like Steve Moffat. I've heard some of those lines myself, and directed at me.
    But... he is an arrogant talented git who doesn't disguise it. RTD is an arrogant talented git who was happy to be nice to people he liked, and behind-the-scenes was incredibly unpleasant to people he didn't.
    The only difference is that SM is himself and doesn't disguise it, and RTD puts on a front.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's kinda what I always suspected tba, I do agree that given its a family show he should at least try and be user friendly to kids at the very least.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. The BBC gets what they're willing to pay for. There are producers who would do a magnificent job with Doctor Who, but if the BBC isn't willing to pay, they'll never touch them.

20. StCoop

Javier Grillo-Marxuach for one. And "The Middleman" was pretty much an American Doctor Who, in tone at least.