Favorite/Underrated Episodes of ENT

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Rennick, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't have a problem with Frakes/Riker or Sirtis/Troi. Bad Thoughts' Trials suggestion could possibly work, if Riker and Troi had been visitors from the future, perhaps even there to ensure that NX's mission would succeed. Though that scenario then has an echo of Star Trek: First Contact and everyone would criticize that being reused instead. Bringing the pair in as essential to helping the crew complete a mission would be preferable to what we got. But watching it as a replay just didn't work for me, because it made Riker's personal crisis a major element of the story, which should have instead been about Archer, T'Pol, et al.

And if a viewer had been unfamiliar with TNG, they would have had no idea who those two people were or their significance.

2. Rennick

Rennick Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree with you -- I also feel that the first two season of ENT are often overlooked.

"The Communicator, Minefield, Deadstop, Singularity," among others are intriguing stories.

3. Rennick

I agree -- the ending to that episode was a semi slap in the face.

Enterprise deserved more.

4. Rennick

Hopefully, Netflix can salvage Enterprise for all of us.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What WHAT WHAT!

6. Rennick

7. Saganistheman

Saganistheman Lieutenant Red Shirt

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^According to Braga, the success of the campaign rests on convincing Netflix there's an audience. Translation: watch it on Netflix.

9. teacake

Well I can't watch it on Netflix but I did my part, I clicked 'like'.

:lol:

10. Saganistheman

Saganistheman Lieutenant Red Shirt

Aye, and that I am. I decided about 2 weeks ago to embark on watching every single Star Trek Episode in historical order. Starting with Enterprise->Star Trek TOS->Star Trek TOS Animated Series->Star Trek TOS Movies->Star Trek TNG->Star Trek TNG Movies->Star Trek DS9->Star Trek Voyager.

My main question with the path I have chosen has to do with TNG movies and the DS9 and Voyager series. Do any of the TNG movies overlap anything in the DS9 or Voyager series? Is my timeline order the way in needs to be?

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^Only in insignificant ways. I would watch the TNG movies at your leisure.

12. Rennick

No problem. Happy to get the word out there.

According to a few preliminary reports, 'Trek' is one of the most popular shows on Netfilx. As long as the numbers to continue to grow, then the campaign to get Enterprise on Netflix becomes all the more stronger.

Rumor is that Netflix is willing, but convincing CBS to sign off is a whole other story.

13. teacake

Since everyone still looks good.. though they trashed the sets :(

I'd love to see Season 5! JJ CAN DO IT since that is his only series left in his timeline :lol:

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Can you imagine the howls?

15. teacake

Voyager would safe forever more from bashing.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG movies definitely overlap DS9, causing Worf's presence on the ENTERPRISE to be difficult to explain, at best, in the latter features. My advice:

Focus on The Next Generation and pepper your TNG experience with occassional viewings from the rest of the francise. TNG has Gene Roddenberry's stamp all over it and is the standard by which I judge the other series ...

The last 2 seasons of ENTERPRISE, though, have several episodes which I deem worthy of the STAR TREK legacy and hold up as excellent entertainment very well, on their own.

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously, are you trolling us?

18. 2takesfrakes

I'm the one who's taken aback that this episode is really that despised! It's really not half bad! If you took out Trip's death, ENTERPRISE's final episode would've ranked among my top ten episodes in all of STAR TREK. I think the reason it catches a lot of flak is because it's a crossover episode. And I'll admit, in general, I'm not fond of those. The one where Scotty comes back after being trapped in a transporter circut for a hundred years was particularly atrocious. TATV does not fall into that category. I've already stated my reasons for liking the episode and this thread is about ENTERPRISE episodes we call our favourites ... so ... be assured, gblews, that my intentions were only honest and sincere.

19. teacake

I think TATV may well be the most actively hated episode in all of Trek. Sure there are worse episodes, you'd be hard pressed to make a defense of The Alternative Factor or Code of Honor (which Frakes called "a racist piece of shit"). But these were just awful drek, they weren't a slap in the face, an insult to those who loved Enterprise. People always hate on a finale that fails to deliver or is seen to have betrayed the show itself which is definitely how TATV is viewed by many.

If they had plopped it into the middle of Season 4 without killing Trip it would have been a quirky, if annoying, interruption of Enterprise and that would be it. Making it the finale was a huge mistake.

20. 2takesfrakes

I suppose I can understand fan feelings a little more, when put in that light. In any case, I'm a STAR TREK fan, whereas Jonathan Frakes views it more as a job, like Shatner does. Also, even individual opinions change.

Director Stephen Spielberg's JAWS featured a creature that would kill and eat characters you didn't necessarily want eaten, like an innocent kid - and the story's believability benefitted. By the time he got to LOST WORLD, nobody can use a gun to any positive effect, because he's gone all Liberal, and the beasties only chomp primarily on evil Capitalists and the kids around never get ate.

That's not to say that I dismiss Frakes, I certainly value his contributions to the franchise, but I also know its his job to be entertaining in interviews. Interviews with movie stars are often about as informative as interviews with athletes and coaches ...
    "We missed some plays, but we just have to go back and look at our strategy and do what we have to do, put some points on the board and start winning games." The press just wants some sound bytes to use and celebrities usually play right into it.