My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

I really enjoyed "North Star," though I think it was kind of out of place in Season Three. It just seemed odd that they'd take time out of their oh-so-important mission to save Earth so that they could play cowboys. The episode might have fit better in one of the other three seasons.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

eh, at least it wasn't a baseball game :vulcan:

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I liked "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," too. :ouch:

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

When I think of Season 3, "North Star" always seems to stand out, so I will say hat that is probably the top episode of the season. The other two are rather forgettable and don't really do much. So for Star I would rate it a C, with the others being F's.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How dare you speak of "Take me out to the Holosuite" with anything less than awe and reverence! :borg:

I dunno, Cowboys in Space didn't even make much sense to me. Beyond the obvious time displacement bit. If they'd been there that long, and they had clear access to a post-industrial level of technology you think they'd have evolved. Maybe not as far as the rest of Earth being there weren't that many of them, but further than the old West.

Similitude kinda struck me as a cheap rip off of Tuvix in a way. A very similar moral dilemma the only difference really being Sim takes the noble way out and Archer doesn't have to make himself look like a murdering hypocrite.

Carpenter Street... ugh. More time travel. As if the Xindi weren't threatening enough with their Death Star ripoff now they're time travelling to destroy humanity too. Sad part is beyond driving home the point "the Xindi are bad" which I'd think millions of dead in Florida to Columbia would have established by now, it really serves no purpose to the overall arc save as a one shot "adventure."

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't agree with you there. Remember, not only were they the only humans around, they'd lost all their written history. What would they re-create? Printing presses, when the population's too small to need anything beyond gossip? Trains? To go where?

I agree it would have fit better in the first two seasons, but I'm glad we got it at all.

Also: "North Star" made a hell of a lot more sense than the Firefly 'verse, and with about a hundredth of the affectation. :p

Yeah, and what's this crap about needing samples of all blood types to create a supervirus? Last time I checked, most viruses (such as, say, HIV) don't give a damn if you B POS, AB, O...

7. R. Star

I never actually watched Firefly. Everyone says it's great, but it was canceled. So either it wasn't that great or I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment. :p

To the points you make on North Star, your comment on their population brings up another good point. There should be enough people to fill a continent by now. Especially back then, people had lots of kids. They had to grow their food, get water for them and their farms, get metal for their smithies, get timber for their houses, and so forth. There would be every reason for them to expand and figure out better ways of transporting their metal/timber, irrigating their crops, etc. Just because they're in a comparatively primitive setting doesn't mean they're stupid. While the chances of their smaller population producing AS MANY people who figure new things out and implement them is less than that of Earth, they still shouldn't be completely stagnant. Except that the writers just randomly decided they wanted to do a "Cowboys in Space" episode.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

On Firefly, as far as setting yourself up for disappointment, the Movie Serenity, actually ties it up pretty well, so, although, it would've been nice to see it play out in longer form, it does have a satisfactory ending.

I'm not as "In Love With it" as many are, but, it's definitely a good Series, and worth watching

9. teacake

Eh even leaving aside the war arc interruption sports episodes are a huge :scream: for me. It could have been worse though, it could have been the all too often employed boxing episode.

It's not really disappointing since you know going in it's only 13 eps and a movie. Think of it as a fun little treasure you don't have to invest too much time in.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

I never saw Firefly:The Series either but did catch the movie, which I enjoyed. For what it was. Though I'm sure a lot went waaay over my head :) I don't mind Take Me Out...either (far less than the insufferable Paper Moon), but still think North Star is a better divertissement.

11. teacake

I think we should do a Firefly watch/rewatch thread in the future.

12. R. Star

US soldiers have played baseball in every war since the Civil War. A war isn't a 24/7 orgy of violence, there are down times. I was annoyed by half of the season 7 episodes before the final arc focusing on Ezri being more of a distraction than that jewel.

As for Firefly, I may get to it someday. I'm actually rewatching Hercules and Xena back from the 90's right now and have a long way to go on that one before I get bored. Then might take up B5 next on my sci-fi/fantasy watching hobby. :p

13. lurok

:bolian: I'm game. And rope in ZR. Hopefully I'll have finished my West Wing first-time-watch by then. (Just finishing series 1).

14. teacake

ZR, I just don't do sports. I'm not saying it's a bad ep, just not one I particularly enjoyed. However I certainly get it that, especially if you are a baseball fan, this would be quite a fun episode. And yes I know people have down times during a war, it just wasn't interesting to me to watch episodes about it when there had been many many non-arc down time episodes in DS9 already. I was into the drive of the war arc and I wanted to stay there, not get taken out of it and especially not to any kind of holosuite whether it was Fontaine or baseball.

If someone does a Firefly watch thread PM me in case I don't see it in the SF forum, I'm pretty sure SW will be over running the place very soon. I've got the set so I can watch it any time, would love to read a first time watch thread. The best part about Firefly IMO was the setting and detail of it, the world itself. And naked Nathan Fillion wasn't bad either.

15. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Count me in as well! I've never watched Firefly but I used to be a huge Buffy fan in the old days.

I must be the only ENT fan who's not a fan of North Star.... :borg:

16. teacake

Excellent. So we should wait for lurok to finish West Wing?

17. lurok

I'm more than happy to concurrent WW or put on hold. It'll be fun to first-time watch a SF series with others :)

I love the fact we can all talk our likes and dislikes here without rancour :)

18. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I haven't seen Firefly, either. Is it on Youtube for the most part? Even Netflix can't really happen right now, but I'd love to be able to play along.

PS Re without rancor - seconded.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Well, I agree with you about the C for North Star, and I could even see why you'd give Similitude an F, but Carpenter Street works for me as a one-off episode. IDK, it kind of reminds me of some of the X-Files episodes I've seen, gross bathroom pizza and all, so that was what I liked most about it.

I think the biological weapon was supposed to be a fail-safe for the weapon that was approved by the council, just in case the council failed, so it's not like the episode didn't do anything at all. Plus, they got some Xindi bodies for Phlox to study.

Same here. :)

I'm in. :) I watched it once, along with the movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

@Cthulurok - I forgot to say thank you for Leland Orser's name. I kept remembering him in a lab coat, wearing glasses, and I found that this is from The Bone Collector when I looked up his list of credits/pictures. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Chosen Realm
    [​IMG]

I just don’t understand how all of those people became so strategically positioned all around the ship, especially in a sensitive area like where the warp reactors are. Do Archer and Malcolm (I think he’s in charge of security) not learn anything at all from their past experiences? There should have been limited areas that these people could go to (with security on standby) and that’s it.

They don’t need to roam all over the ship to receive limited medical care and a few hot meals while repairs are made to their ship. I just can’t believe that this is the 3rd year of the mission and security is still this bad. I mean, they started out taking major security precautions in this episode, and then what happened? Did the religious leader guy flash a smile and so they just stopped? It’s sad that people were hurt, and one even died, because of poor leadership. That, and they lost a lot of the data they worked so hard to get.

Grade: D minus
    ----------------

Proving Ground
    [​IMG]

It’s the blue people again. And it’s nice to see that the Enterprise crew are trying and talking about taking precautions with them on their ship. It looks like T'Pol was right about the Andorians, but at least Shran didn't want to double cross them.

Grade: C