The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

DiCaprio in a cameo as Edward Nygma.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I used to think Berenger would have been a good Batman had they cast him in the late 1980s. If he lost weight, I could see him in The Dark Knight Returns, if they ever filmed it.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Pretty soon, Ellen and Leo will feel left out.

I think that Powers Boothe would make good older Bruce.

4. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, I could see that. Or an older Gordon.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oh, good, they're finally going to reveal Mayor Garcia's secret identity as BatManuel!

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I was hoping they'd retain him as Mayor. He was good.

8. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Roles for Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard have been revealed by Nolan in a release:

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting turn of events, but I'll gladly welcome their additions to those roles. Now I wonder if Talia is still even in it.

10. Admiral_Young

Interesting. I like the casting and the roles are intriguing. I wonder if Talia is going to turn out to be nothing more than an annoying internet rumor?

11. Captaindemotion

I couldn't help but wonder if Miranda Tate would turn out to be Talia, in a Ducard-Ras type twist. I do hope that's not the case. However, given that 'Ras' used a French name in Begins and given that Cotillard is French, I'm finding it hard to accept that there won't be some connection. Especially if, as has been said, an actor has been cast to play Ra's in flashback scenes set 30 years ago (which would be the time when Marion Cotillard would have been a child).

As for the JGL character, again, the suspicion is that such a charismatic actor will not have signed for the role of a sidekick cop. I reckon there'll be a lot more to his character than meets the eye.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The twist is that Bane IS Talia. :p

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not surprised at all. Like I've said before, both previous films have featured new characters, so it made no sense to assume that these actors would have to be playing pre-existing comics characters. I've been expecting all along that there would be original roles in the film.

Part of the problem with rumors is that most of them are just so damn unimaginative. The people who generate them just glom onto something they've seen before and regurgitate it as new information. The people who make up rumors have a lot less creativity than the people who make actual movies.

14. Admiral_Young

I'll pretend I didn't see that @Aragorn ;) @Captaindemotion I too was wondering about a Talia swerve. I've thought about this for a long time actually if we ever were introduced to Talia that it would be through a swerve. "Theatrically and deceptions are powerful agents. My father used them well. Now so does his...daughter." The line is something I worked into an old rewrite of "Batman Begins" I attempted.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yeesh. We're now two actors shy of an "Inception" reunion.

Dicaprio can play the Mad hatter who plays Bruces psychiatrist and also puts Batman into a dream state.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and my... sister... has it, too."

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually that would be more a role for Hugo Strange than the Mad Hatter.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one here who doesn't care much for Marion Cotillard? I've seen her in a few things now, and I just find her to be an incredibly bland actress.

Anyway, I wonder if Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character will have a son named Adam.

I can't (and won't) speak for the entire internet, but I don't think anyone has said they have to be pre-existing characters. It was more idle musing than anything else. Also, given that this film of an adaptation of a very large property with an ever expanding cast of characters, it is understandable the average person or fan would automatically wonder which character an actor might fit.

Then again, I am not surprised at JGL's character being a rookie cop as that had been a persistent rumor since he was first connected to the film

You tell 'em, boss!

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope Cotillard isn't playing Talia. It would be a lame and predictable twist that most people would see coming.

I like the idea of Cotillard playing Bruce Wayne's love interest, who helps him resume his philanthropic ambitions, because to me it signals back a return to the Bruce Wayne character as the lead character. Batman Begins was very much Bruce Wayne's movie, but The Dark Knight was an ensemble piece; I hope The Dark Knight Rises is more Bruce Wayne's movie.

As for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I was almost certain he was going to play a bad guy, but perhaps this is a more interesting role instead. I have a feeling John Blake won't be your typical rookie cop and will probably be very conflicted over his assumed task of bringing in the Batman. On that level I can see a lot of room for drama and tension.

For people upset that they are playing original characters... I think this is a blessing. I mean, it only adds to the entertainment value. If we found out Gordon-Levitt was playing an established character like Alberto Falcone, then we could probably figure out his character trajectory. The same thing with Cotillard's character- the fact that she's playing a love interest that's an original character opens up the doors for what could happen.

In an Internet age where we know mostly everything about an anticipated upcoming release, I encourage and endorse originality and I think Nolan is trying to make this experience of watching The Dark Knight Rises as safe from speculation and fan conjecture as humanly possible.

Also, on a side note, Cotillard's role to me builds up the speculation that Bruce Wayne might find a happy ending at the conclusion of this film. Nolan's been talking about definitively ending this series and Bruce Wayne has been talking up giving up the mantle since The Dark Knight. It's possible one of two things could happen: Cotillard's character could fall in love with Bruce Wayne, who at the end of The Dark Knight Rises gives up the mantle of Batman to be with her, or Cotillard's character merely gives Bruce the motivation to be Batman and stop Bane. However, rumors have been persisting of a "hard ending" to this movie, so I can only assume it won't be something typical or expected. Then again, with Nolan, anything is possible.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Like a cameo by Eddie Murphy as the Riddler?