Fringe Series Finale (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Grade 'Liberty/An Enemy of Fate'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its very best

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Very Good

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Good

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Bad

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible beyond words - encase this ep in amber!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Actually, BSG's finale wasn't bad. At least I remember it fondly.

Highlander and Forever Knight were both shows that I liked that had less than memorable finales. I honestly think it's hard sometimes for a good show to find a great way to go out.

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Excellent!

:lol:

3. Quo Vadimus

Quo Vadimus Vice Admiral Premium Member

Brilliant. :guffaw:

4. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Later, I will probably be checking this thread for the west coast comments also for those who DVR'd it.

5. Quo Vadimus

Nice! :lol:

6. timmay2411

timmay2411 Captain Captain

Why Michael left the train........it's so Olivia could be injected with Cortexiphan and use it to kill Windmark.

7. NCC1701MF

So far this discussion is up to 15 pages, that's a record for Fringe.

8. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

(Joking aside).

In principle something like this could happen, if IDW gets the license to publish a Fringe comic series. IDW has done all kinds of crossovers of their licensed properties, such as Dr. Who and Star Trek: TNG, etc ....

Though I would guess any further Fringe comic titles, will most likely be done by DC Comics or one of DC's sublabels.

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Time to vote and call it a night.

I gave it an 'Excellent' mainly for the performances of the primary cast (including Cerveris) and the truly touching moments between the characters. The producers treated the show with respect and gave it a fitting, if not completely satisfying end.

All in all, I can't complain too much.

And again, it's been a great pleasure doing commentary with you folks. As Quo said, see you around the board.

:bolian:

10. NCC1701MF

Going to check other Fringe boards.

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it too, despite the various storyline flaws as the show went on.

Star Trek The Next Generation is still one of my all-time favorite finales.

A Fringe/Doctor Who crossover would be great.

12. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm still not getting why they invaded in the first place. It's problematics that they were never given an objective.

Plus I must admit that I'm definitely not understanding how time travel works on this show at all.

While 8 can accept that time travel is always an unknown quantity, in any fiction it should have rules. On Fringe there are no apparent rules.

How can Walter and Michael alter history by going to the future of an already altered timeline? Back to the Future showed the flaw in this logic back in 1989.

On the one hand we are told to accept that history can be changed. Yet conversely it must be fixed since the observers managed to invade and fundamentally change the world without altering their own existence.

Plus there is that unexplained incident where Walter and co turned an observer wormhole into a black hole yet it changed nothing.

What would have made more sense would have been if they had shown that the observers were indeed from the future, just not our future. They could have been from the future of the other side. That would have explained why they did not invade over there. They were protecting their own timeline. On top of that...it almost makes sense that the observers would have originated over there. That world was much more technically advanced and as actively putting fringe science to use. Plus they had a version of Walter whose inventiveness, ambition and curiosity ultimately went unchecked. It seems reasonable that such a world where a Walter who was whole...might head down a dark path that leads to the Observers. From a dramatic perspective it would have tied Walters fear of his dark side and healing mind to the destruction around him.

Plus having the observers be from the future of the other side would have tied nicely to the central role that the parallel universe played in earlier seasons. As it stands season 5 feels divorced from everything that happened earlier.

13. Quo Vadimus

Oh, I voted "Very Good".

Got to get to work on that time machine so I can replace all the Emmy ballots with John Noble's name. :devil:

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually like that a lot, and was thinking about that for awhile, that it's actually the other side invading here because they seem so perfect over there, that they want all humans in the future to be perfect and no emotions mean no jealousy. I also would have done something with Boliva's and Peter's baby being in Micheal's family somehow.

It wouldn't have been too hard to explain that either, plus might have given a "why invade?" too

It's two episodes, so it's only 7.5 an episode.

90% of you gave it an A+ or an A? Really?

15. NCC1701MF

But prev episodes did not reach 7.5 pages on the telecast night.

16. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

well that was awfully crappy. A lot if convoluted storytelling with questionable logic,,,I mean if time reset regarding the observers then wouldn't that change the while September distracting walterbate funding the cure,,, I mean Olivia and Peter may never meet. Then couldn't widmark knowing where the child was just go back in time.

I also don't buy the stupid idea of Walter being erased in 2015 it was just writer fiat to create syrupy predicament. And speaking of pointless the trip to the alternate universe was stupid,,,bringing the observers over to lead to possible retribution or an invasion over there. No Nina, no Charlie etc.

and seeing how the plan came into place was just a way to drag out the season. BAD

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

As series finales go, it was a mixed bag, but at least a herculean effort was made to tie up loose ends, and I have to applaud that.

The father-son moments I'm always a sucker for, as a father to one son, but I dare say they were extraordinarily well done.

Fringe has always had Heart.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I don't participate in the threads while watching, but I always read them afterwards, and it was always fun reading you guys' running commentary. I'll miss it. :)

19. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that DP, and for the link you sent me as well. It has been great fun and I will look back on these past two seasons fondly, mainly for because of our weekly discussions.

Like any show, Fringe had its flaws, but it had truly memorable characters we came to care greatly about, no matter what incarnation we were viewing. The cast did a superb job with what the writers gave them, and to me, that's what's going to make me remember this show when I've forgotten about a host of others I've watched over the years.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Maybe some storylines weren't as engaging as others but I never thought that Fringe lost its quality. It was still a pretty good show in the end with GREAT character interaction.