Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Robotech Master, Mar 26, 2009.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Yeah, and he's pretty accurate to his original too! :)

HINT: like with the Iron Man movie, watch all the way through the closing credits

2. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would think it has allot to do with the studio setting a release date before one word was written of the script. The entire movie production had to scramble to get the film written, casted and done before May. If they were put undersuch impossable restrictions, I have no doubt we would have gotten a better film.

The fact is, Huge Jackman is the only big draw to the X-Men films for the mass public. Thanks to him, he allows us to bring our gf's to a film they otherwise would have no interest in. That creates more bank for the film. After all, the movie industry is still first & foremost a business. Wolvie & Jackman pull and audience & a profit, due to that you have to use them or risk loosing money.

4. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I just don't get all the Wolverine hate in here. Ok, he's overexposed. Hell, one could argue ANY major Marvel character has been overexposed at one point in their existence or another. Honestly, I think that (as good as he is), Spider-Man is overexposed.

Wolverine was a significant advance in the evolution of Marvel characters: a prototype anti-hero. A "dangerous good guy". I remember something that one of his creators said (this is from memory, so it's not 100% but close):

Wolverine is a character that you're glad he's on your side because you DON'T want to be on the other side of. He's also very volatile. Kitty Pryde could walk into the kitchen to find Wolverine reading the newspaper and accidently say or do the wrong thing. Cyclops would then come running to see what the disturbance was and find the kitchen plastered with "Kitty bits" and Wolverine back to calmly reading the newspaper.

He was (and is) a vital balancing character for the X-Men. Pragmatist to their idealistism. Rationalist to their emotional compassion. And yes, the "enforcer" that ANY cause has hidden away somewhere or another, acknowledged or not. The man who does the "hard things" that the others either cannot bring themselves to do, or cannot afford to be SEEN doing.

The Scott/Jean/Logan triangle was always interesting because for Jean Logan represented her wild side, her inner passion (esp when she's a Phoenix host) that "Stick up his a** Summers" could never accept, let alone be.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's true that Wolverine as written by Claremont was an intriguing character, because he not only brought some darkness and edge to the book, but he had an inner complexity as he struggled to control that darkness, to become something more than a berserker. The problem is that too many subsequent writers have made him into a caricature of himself, abandoning the nuance of his struggles with his inner demons and just making him a one-dimensional killing machine who can't shut up about being the best there is at what he does. Which is partly a symptom of the fad of ultraviolence that swept through comics in the '80s and '90s, but partly a cause of it as well. Like so many things, Wolverine has value in restrained and balanced use, but not so much in excess.

6. V

V Commodore Commodore

I'm watching this serious religiously; it's arguably the best show on television, animated or not.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'd like to emphasize the word "arguably."

8. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

^^ Agreed. It's good for a kid's show, but simplistic by standards set by BSG.

9. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

^Try to pass that by the censors on nick!:D

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is US TV up to now with it?

As the season progresses nearer the end and the arc plot really kicks in it definitely rises far above your average "kids" TV fair. Esp Kids TV of today, which just all seems such cack now to what it was

11. Christopher

I hope so, since it's been fairly mediocre so far.

How narrowly are you defining "today?" It's been less than nine months since the series finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was the most brilliant kids' TV show in a generation or more. And there's some pretty good kid-oriented programming on currently; Batman: The Brave and the Bold has proven a major hit and deservedly so, and Ben 10: Alien Force (from former Justice League staffers) just had a very impressive series finale last week. And Star Wars: The Clone Wars has gotten mixed but often positive reviews.

12. exodus

^How narrowly are you defining "good"?

4 shows out of how many networks that have childrens programming?
    If we were to apply that to adult programming, the original comment still has merit.

13. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

This is a pretty good show.

Wolverine is a bit of a dick on WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN. Take this past week's episode with Mr. Sinister. "You'll start a war." This from the guy who stirred up shit the prior week with Sabretooth and weapon-x people, despite warnings from Prof. X not to go looking. (Is Emma Frost really on their side?)

One thing I've noticed is that Cyclops as a character in the toons and movies seems to be defined by only two things: wanting Jean and hostility towards Wolverine. That's it. He sucks. He's the outmoded straight-laced good guy in a post-Punisher/Spawn/Wolverine world. All he can do is breakdown and act against character by playing the loose cannon that he is not and fail at that.

Shit, Jean Grey's main role is object of lust/victim. She's not much better.

And ugh, I like Clancy Brown, but he'd done few animated baddy voices too many.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, he's doing the voice of Gwen Stacy's Police Captain father (Spidey's answer to Commissioner Gordon) in Spectacular Spiderman.

As for Scott, I liked his character more in EVO.

15. Christopher

I think they pretty much had to leave Scott in a bad place in this series so that there'd be a reason why Wolverine is leading the team instead of him. Although really, if Scott were too screwed up to lead, then Storm should be leading. But when Charles put Logan in charge, Storm was gone. I guess.

I find the level of property damage inflicted in this episode to be implausible. The repair costs would've run into seven or eight figures, there were probably numerous injuries, and Scott could've easily killed people by blasting through the pavement from below without having any idea who was up there. By all rights, the MRD, the National Guard, maybe the Army would've been called in as a response to these events. This is a major disaster caused by one man, and it shouldn't be just forgotten about. Certainly not by the X-Men themselves. Scott's negligence and destructiveness here were criminal, and he should be held accountable for it.

And why is Jamie Madrox one of the bad guys? I guess because he was a bad guy in the third movie -- but I don't get why he was a bad guy there. Did he go through a bad-guy phase in the comics? Although in both cases, maybe it's just because his power makes him a useful adversary for the heroes.

16. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was watching...but for some reason, my Tivo only recorded 2 episodes of it, then couldn't find it anymore anywhere. :( I guess I'll get the DVDs when they release the full season....

17. exodus

Keep watching, Emma's agenda will be revealed.;)

Cyclops has no personality, never has.
    However, what they're showing is true even from the comics. Scott falls to pieces when ever Jean isn't around. What type of leader is that?
    Still, I'm not sure why Storm isn't co-leader anymore.

18. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

You think Wolverine is a "minor" character?

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I liked how in Earth X, when Wolverine had become a fat slob Scott was the only one who bothered trying to keep the dream alive. Even when Xaiver was dead and Jean left him for Logan (even though she was really Madylene). Evo Scott didn't seem all that Jean-dependent either (though it could've gone that way...).

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was never a fan of Cyclops because of the whole Jean stuff. It was horrible in the old x-men series and in most of the comics. I've only started to enjoy him in the comics since he got together with Emma. I thought the Cyclops that Joss Whedon wrote for his Astonishing run was a really great version of him and the first time I ever actually liked the character outside of alternate-universe non-616 versions of him.

I'd comment more about the series, but I kinda cheated and watched the whole first season so don't wanna spoil things since Nick hasn't finished it off heh.