The "Johnny Lightning" ship series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Nov 16, 2012.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since we were talking about the much-loved Micro Machine miniatures in another thread, it got me thinking about the Johnny Lighting series, another one that was really good, but had a few rather odd choices as to which ship got made as miniatures.

You had most of the hero ships: 1701 (TOS and refit), 1701-A, 1701-D, NX-01, and Voyager. (No DS9, no Defiant, no runabout, no Delta Flyer, and no 1701-E, though :confused:)

You also had many of the usual suspects: Reliant, Galileo, Klingon battle cruiser, Romulan BoP, and a Borg Cube.

Funnily enough, there were quite a few familiars they left out: No other Klingon or Romulans (other than a "Romulan battle cruiser" repaint). No Excelsior. No Grissom. No Nebulas (Nebulae?). No "B" or "C". Nothing from "Voyager" or "Enterprise" except the hero ships. Nothing AT ALL from DS9, except one minor ship I'll talk about shortly:

Instead, obviously to save $ by using the same molds, we got a whole whack of repaints and variants of ships they already did. Pretty much all of the above got reissued as some type of "battle damaged" version. Unless it's the Constellation, I don't really care for battle damaged stuff. Same goes for all these "cloaked" versions that were made with transparent plastic. They did the future-"D" from "All Good Things...", which I suppose was probably a new mold, but I never saw one up close.

They also came out with some other ships from the same classes. That I'm actually okay with. The one and only ship from DS9 was the 10-second Majestic, so they could re-use the Reliant molds. They made a Yamato, an ISS NX-01, and a Constitution-class Excalibur and Defiant. (I still really want that last one!)

Not sure why they'd go with the Yamato (Not that I mind. I actually have one). It's just just that if they wanted a Galaxy-class besides the big "D", it wasn't on screen too long compared to the Odyssey or the Challenger. As for the Majestic, if you're gonna reuse Reliant molds, why not something more memorable, like dispensing with the roll bar and making a Lantree, Brattain, Bozeman, or Saratoga? If they were making other ships of the same class, I wouldn't have minded a Columbia, Avenger, Bellerephon, or some more Constitutions.

Besides the above, were there any you think they missed out on making? (A Jem'Hadar fighter would've been nice, if you ask me.)

2. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Totally agree. I love my johnny lightnings but i gave up after the 2nd round of repaints. So i have all the molds, but the fake battle damage stuff and the plastic phasers were lame and that was the end of it for me. I do still want the self destruct version of the 1701 but its usually pretty pricey

3. t_smitts

Yeah, there's something about the "battle damaged" versions of existing ships, or the same ships in a slightly different shades, or the "cloaked" version that just screams "we're too cheap to design new molds, so here's some more of something you already have". (Same goes for those silly bronze-colored versions of the Micro Machines. I hated those!)

Interestingly, I really don't feel that way with different ships of the same class. I was happy to pick up a Mirror Universe NX-01 and a Yamato, and I still want that Constitution-class Defiant. (Hard to find a cheap on eBay though).

Pity they didn't give us as many different ships as the Micro Machines set did.

4. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like a Voyager (without the landing gear). I hear it's to scale with AMTs DS9 kit.

5. t_smitts

I have one. Tragically, a nacelle broke off! :wah:

6. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I ended up having a Voyager, Reliant, NX-01 and a battle damaged Refit. I loved them, They had some great moulds and paint jobs. Although the glue they used was awful. My Refit has broken free of the saucer, the Reliants roll bar has come free, and the NX-01 has a loose nacelle.

I believe the reason they never released any of the smaller less known ships is because, it was about 10 years after the golden age of trek. It was going to be risky for Johnny Lightning (lets not forget they're part of the Polar Lights/Round 2 group) to make any less known ships.

One other problem I noted with my Voyager is it needs a repaint, as the paint is flaking off everywhere, also the nacelles drop down 45 degrees and will need a drop of glue to keep them in the middle.

The cloaked ships never did well. They still had tons of the cloaked D7s and BOPs at my local modelzone for years. I mean, who wants what's basically an unfinished clear kit?

7. t_smitts

Apart from the 1-nacelled Voyager, the others I have (Yamato, Reliant, ISS NX-01, and "battle damage" NX-01) all seem okay, especially since they spend most of their time piled in a box with micro machines.

Granted, but DS9, 1701-E, the Defiant-class Defiant, Klingon BoP, Romulan Warbird, and Excelsior are hardly lesser known ships.

Well, if people get the impression you cut corners making something, they're less inclined to buy it. :rolleyes:

8. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Still got all mine !!!!

[​IMG]

9. Nero's Shadow

Here's another pic I've done a tribute to the enterprise family !!!

The enterprises pictured are JL or Furuta

[​IMG]

10. t_smitts

Can I assume that TOS-Constitution in the first pic is the Defiant? #envy

What are the big ships in the second pic?

11. Nero's Shadow

In the 1st pic the conny class is the Excalibur !!! Did they do the defiant ???

The 2nd pic consists of art asylum collectibles I've been a big fan of art asylum the three ships are the enterprise. Far right USS enterprise hd version middle one is the refit enterprise from TWOK and far left is the uss enterprise from the pilot episode the cage a lot of differences with this enterprise larger bridge dome and nav deflector and spikes on the bussard collectors . This one is my favourite !!!!

12. t_smitts

They sure did! I check ebay regularly, cause I really want one. I don't see anything under $50 that's avaible to Canada at the moment, however. :thumbdown:

Interesting. Do they have any other ships?

13. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Not sure where you're located, but here is one seller that has more than 10 available, and the price seems reasonable. I mean, shipping is a rip-off, but it always will be.

14. t_smitts

Memory Alpha suggests a few more ships, including a Constellation, were in the works, when the toy line got cancelled.

15. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Galoob, Furuta and F-Toys all released the Defiant, Corgi planned to; strange that Johnny Lightning didn't.

16. t_smitts

They actually didn't release anything associated with DS9, except the blink-and-you'll-miss-it Majestic.

17. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

What are those pictures around the large Enterprise photo?

18. t_smitts

I just received a Furuta Jem'Hadar ship and Prometheus that I'd bought on eBay a while back.

They're not to scale with the Johnny Lighting ships, but their size is pretty close, and they actually made a good many of the familiar ships that JL never did: "B", "C", and "E", Nebula, Stargazer, Defiant, Excelsior, Grissom, Pasteur, DS9, Runabout, Jem'Hadar, Klingon BoP and Vor'Cha, Romulan Warbird, Ferengi Marauder, and Cardassian Galor.

Plus they had some I never expected like the aforementioned Prometheus (if you're wondering, no, it doesn't separate), Equinox (I really want that one!), 8472 ship, Phoenix, Kazon ship.

Plus some of the ones JL did do: Both versions of TOS Enterprise, plus "A" and "D", Voyager, Reliant, Galileo, and Borg. (Interestingly, no NX-01).

Even the stands are rather reminiscent of the JL ones. So if you can find some at a reasonable price, the Furuta ones might be a nice gap filler.

19. t_smitts

A JL Constitution class Defiant I ordered on eBay finally arrived today. It includes a "phaser beam" coming from the bottom of the saucer section which, fortunately, is removable, unlike the ones on the later-edition NX-01 they made. Obviously, as I've said before, this was an attempt to save time and money by using existing molds, though this is a much better solution than that silly "battle damaged" nonsense. Pity they never made a Constellation.

It's a nice looking ship, though I think the Micro Machines TOS Enterprise might be a bit better. Though the Defiant, being larger, is allowed some more small details like tiny windows, the red and green lights on either side of the saucer, and other paint schemes, there were a few things that bothered me:

The deflector dish really sticks out. I mean, like a lot! Alsom he saucer itself looks a bit thinner than it should be.

The main thing that bothers me, though, is the main registry on the saucer. It's way too thick. I wonder if someone didn't have it set on "bold" when they typed it into the computer. We've seen enough shots of the Enterprise, Defiant, and Constellation to know this doesn't look right.

Still, I think it was worth the money. I'm happy with it.

20. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

That is a magnificent portrait. Is that a Lightspeed Fine Arts piece?