What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nah, the power of their love would save her. Might even get a cheesy instrumental love ballad out of the mix--so long as it's not another cover of "Faith Of The Heart".

As for "No want I!":

- No City On The Edge Of Forever remake
    - Ditto "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
    - Ditto "Mirror, Mirror"
    - No V'ger

Wouldn't mind:

- Doomsday Machine
    - Thoilan Web done up in quasi thriller movie style

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course if they did use the Doomsday Machine there are fans who would complain about it being another big black super ship.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The Doomsday Machine would work if you just avoided implying or showing any form of intelligent control. Not good or evil, just an eating machine. Don't give the villain a face. Another good take would be something similar to what Marvel did in FF4 Ultimate with Galactus.

And do we really need to see it for most of the movie? Maybe have the crew investigate a bunch of smashed worlds, then find a planet where the DM is the ultimate boogie man. Have the movie revolve around finding out the truth to the legend and finger out if it can be stopped if its real. Just have it lurking in the background. Maybe see it, maybe we don't. But it's always out there, waiting.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    All that running/shouting. Enough already.

5. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As for what I DON'T want... a bad guy a la, well, most Trek films...

The Borg would at least present a RACE as the adversaries, rather than a singular one bent on revenge in some way...
    There are many, many things I'd like for ST 3; the absence of a traditional villain being in the top 1...

6. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'd want to see it eat at least one world, that would be the money shot! Not seeing it actually ingest a planet was one of the episode weaknesses, imo. (and how tiny it actually appears in comparison to the ships) Wide angle shot of this planet sized thing pulling up to & attaching its maw onto a planet then SLUUUURRRRP it's gone, save a smattering of moon sized crumbs.

Oh, and for added drama, put it on a course for New Vulcan!

7. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Eh, sounds too generic.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

These new movies take a few cues from old novels, and in Peter David's Vendetta we learned that the ancient Planet Killer was designed to fight....

(hint: They're mentioned in this thread)

9. Kruezerman

I saw that somewhere actually. That'd be fun!

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Orci or Kurtzman's name in the credits.

My biggest wish for the next Trek is that it's about the Enterprise encountering a strange new world, with new life and a new civilisation. I think that'd be pretty y'know, bold. Rather than another bland action movie with a vengeance-seeking villain to appease the masses.

11. Kruezerman

And then what? What happens?

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

So completely different from virtually every classic Trek or TNG movie, then?

13. DalekJim

Yeah, I've long been saying the movies should resemble Star Trek more.

You guys are getting your golden age of revenge movies right now, and that's brilliant. I'm glad for you. But maybe a slight change next time could be interesting?

14. Kruezerman

You still didn't answer my question, what happens when they explore a new planet? Or meet a new civilization?

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The new movies (for bad or good) follow the same formula as the most of the classic Trek and TNG movies. TMP was the "exploring the strange and unknown" film and we see how well it goes over; TVH was a break from the formula too, and it was played for laughs and more or less ignored the series--characters and framing story aside.

16. DalekJim

All number of creative, exciting things and hopefully an adventure that explores philosophy and morality. I'd like maybe a sort-of Star Trek horror film, about the crew encountering a truly alien being that brings about Lovecraftian psychological trauma.

17. Kruezerman

Into Darkness was about terrorism and drone warfare and growing up and paranoia and etc. Didn't you see those apparent themes?

18. DalekJim

It seemed to fit in to the same thematic structure and mould as blockbusters like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Returns and Skyfall.

I personally feel Star Trek should try and stand out a bit more. Preferably with more emphasis on the science-fiction element.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's hard to see a theme when all you have are random story elements stuck into a flimsy framework to set up and connect action scenes.

20. Kruezerman

Random? In what way?