Batman: The Animated Series / MillenniuM

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tharpdevenport, Nov 25, 2008.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Batman: The Animated Series / MillenniuM CDs released!!!

Fans of the show's scoring take note:

La La Land Records annouced today at FSM (not on their site yet) that a 2CD set of score from "Batman: The Animated Series" (mostly by the late Shirley Walker) and a 2CD set of score by Mark Snow to "MillenniuM" will be available for order on December 2nd.

B:TAS is limited to 3,000 copies and will go fast.

To learn more about the show's score and hear samples from other episodes, visit my self-created obsessed site for the scores:
    http://www.btasscores.150m.com

Oh, and they also annouced "The Sarah Conner Chronicles".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Batman: The Animated Series / MillenniuM CDs released!!!

That's an odd selection of episodes. I'm particularly bewildered that "The Last Laugh" is included, since that was the worst score in the series. And "Christmas With the Joker" isn't great either, mostly just rearranged Christmas standards and Nutcracker Suite segments. It has a number of good ones on the second disk, but is missing many really great scores like "POV," "Appointment in Crime Alley," "Beware the Grey Ghost," "Feat of Clay Pt. 2," and of course the brilliant "A Bullet for Bullock."

3. tharpdevenport

Well, not everyone shares the same views. "The Last Laugh", to me and many other fans, is one of the best scores of the series. It's sort of equilivent to say "the Best of Both Worlds" was the worst score from TNG.

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweet deal. I'd totally grab that.

5. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the music from The Last Laugh, I used to watch the opening couple of minutes just to hear that music, haha. Can't wait for this.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Whereas I always found that repetitive piece with its heavy drum line physically uncomfortable to listen to. Not only do I hate heavy percussion, but it just sounded totally wrong for a Batman episode. I'm able to tolerate it better today, but it still just feels wrong to have this rock beat intruding into a show whose musical and visual style are straight out of the 1940s.

On Disc Two, the "Alternate Main Title," is that the piece that was used as the title theme for the Adventures of Batman and Robin episodes? Now, that piece I absolutely adore. I can't get enough of it. I wish they'd gone with it from the beginning instead of using the Elfman theme. I think I heard on one of the DVD commentaries or bonus features that it was meant to be the original title music but then got replaced by the Elfman piece.

7. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Which reminds me, I've got to get me some B:TAS DVDs at some point. One of the greatest cartoons ever, and the animation and "Dark Deco" style are superb. I still hear Kevin Conroy's voice when I think of Bats. It's nice he's continued to voice him in Batman cartoons over the years.

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Good. I've been waiting for albums of the Batman music for a long time now.

I hope this means they'll eventually release the Superman, Batman Beyond and Justice League music.

9. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Where can I order Batman The Animated Series double CD? The link does not list it

10. tharpdevenport

It goes up for order December 2nd, at 12:00 p.m. PST at:

LaLaLandRecords.com

Check there are the correct time.

11. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Cool thanks, I hope to order a copy before they run out

12. tharpdevenport

Don't dilly dally -- I predict this one selling out in a day or less. Some limited editions have sold out in half a day in recent times.

13. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I still can not find the page, is there a direct link?

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

*Makes plans to sit in front of his computer for 3 hours before hand...*

I. Must. Have. This.

15. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

NICE AVATAR, YUM! TWO FEMALES KISSING, YUM!

But yes, back on topic, this CD release is a must have

16. tharpdevenport

There is no direct link yet. They'll have it up undoubtedly a day before it goes for order. Or maybe that very day.

17. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Crap. Oh well, hopefully will still be able to order a copy

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oh, cool. I'd be interested in the Walker scores...but I really want to get my hand on the Mark Snow recordings here. Thanks for the heads up!

19. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Two of my top three composers are gone. Shirley Walker and Jerry Goldsmith. Thankfully Bear McCreary is with us and hopefully will be for decades. Each of these three genius talents though deserve far more accolades than any of them get or have gotten. Jerry should have won the Oscar for the TMP score - it was the only good thing about the film! LOL

20. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

I did not know Shirley Walker had passed away, only found out about it recently when I was trying to get Mask Of The Phantasm soundtrack