So How Would You Answer This Question?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nedersong, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I was watching some Trek (specifically Nemesis) when his daughter got all upset because there was something else she wanted to watch on Tv. She couldn't understand how or why people like Trek, or what people see in it.

It was something I didn't have an answer for. But for me I like the stories, I like the special effects, and I love seeing Starship/spacecraft designs. A lot of the stories are very unique stories that you just can't find in things like a cop show or a sports show or a medical show.

So how would you explain things to her?

2. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You were watching Nemesis. Can you genuinely blame her? :devil:

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'd start by apologizing for making her watch Nemesis. Explain that movie blows, but there is plenty of better Star Trek out there.

Based on how you worded your post, I have no idea of what your relationship is to this girl. You say "his daughter" but I don't know who she is, or her age.

If she is considerably younger than you, tell her she'll probably understand and appreciate the show in time. If you are more of the same age then explain exactly what you stated above. Not everyone has to like the same thing, and this is what you like. Then apologize again for what a crap movie Nemesis is.

4. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I like the movie and don't understand people's hatred of it. now I can understand some of the problems with it, but I still like it and will watch it from time to time. I'm no fanboy who'll get so incensed at any minor problem a film will have.

But back to the original question. How would you answer it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

For me, it's the stories and characters more than anything else. Yes, the effects and the spaceship designs are cool, but in the end, it's all about the stories.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The OP could've been watching the best Trek movie made and his daughter would probably still ask the question.

7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still wanna know what the "his daughter" thing meant.

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd explain it to her like this: "Different folks like different things. I like Trek. I don't feel the need to justify or explain myself to you. Now go and do something you like doing while I watch the film."

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With my own kids who sometimes ask similar questions, I answer "for the same reason you like (fill in the blank)." And as has been explained, I just explain how people like different things.

If the daughter (or other people) are old enough to understand this concept already, but are giving the attitude of "How can anyone like this crap?" I wouldn't really try to explain. I'd just tell them, "You wouldn't understand my answer anyway, so why bother?"

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who's daughter now?

Anyway, there's no reason anyone should have to explain why they like something. Taste is subjective, and nobody else's business. Next time "his daughter" (whoever "he" is) asks, ask her why she likes the godawful shit she likes and tell her to shut up or leave the room.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I originally saw TOS when I was four years old and loved it. So your daughter's age should not be an issue.

But show her something good from TOS, after explaining that NEM is garbage. The Naked Time, The Doomsday Machine, The Devil in the Dark, Balance of Terror, Amok Time, The Trouble with Tribbles, The City on the Edge of Forever, Mirror, Mirror...that should do for a start.

After that, start on DS9. You might get around to TNG eventually but honestly it hasn't aged well.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Too each their own. My Dad found the military aspects of trek laughable amd Mom couldn't get past the funny looking aliens. She once said Worf should wear bangs. :klingon: I gave up on getting them into Trek.

13. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I'd tell her to go watch the other TV.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

To quote Peter Griffin "Daddy loves you, sweetheart, but daddy also loves Star Trek. And to be fair, Star Trek came first."

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was he watching TNG? If so, I don't blame him. ;)

16. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw this coming from a light year away...

17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

"Feel free to go and watch the TV you bought."

18. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if a character told Worf to his face that he should wear bangs?
    Your mother is a racist.

There I said it ;).

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Didn't he wear bangs in the western episode, or was that just the way the funny hat on his head made him seem to look?

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TOS. I shudder to think of what he would have made of TNG. I no longer lived at home when TNG started so I was spared his running commentary. Though having served 25 years in the military I guess he knew more about it than me.

She could never forgive them for killing her son.