Misc Av Contest: It's Seasonal!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Owain Taggart, Nov 15, 2013.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

One of the many places on the Weihnachtsmarkt in Flensburg where I had Punsch / Glühwein (mit Schuss selbstverständlich :p ) today had this sign:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That works. Nicely done :)

I have no idea what it says, other than maybe... Apple Punch with alcohol, and Cocoa and some kind of tea?

3. trekkiedane

Punsch - aka. Glühwein = mulled wine.
    Apfelpunsch = mulled (non-alcoholic) apple something or other.
    Bratapfelpunsch, I have no idea what is.
    Kakao = (Hot) Chocolate.
    Jägertee - Black tea w. rum.

When at an x-mas market in Germany you'll rarely have to walk more than three minutes inbetween kiosks offering these things :p

[​IMG]

4. Owain Taggart

Ok, so I was kind of close ;)

Poll will go up tomorrow evening EST. So, if you haven't yet entered, you have until then.

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

It says:

punch
    apple punch (non-alcoholic)
    baked-apple punch
    cocoa
    hunter's tea

Hunter's tea is tea with rum. It has 12-15 vol% alcohol, so it's quite dangerous stuff.
    Baked-apple punch is hot apple wine with spices (cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, perhaps a hint of cardamom or star anise). Often it contains a good deal of apple brandy as well.

I don't know about other Christmas markets, but in my region you don't have to walk 3 mins between those stands but hardly ever more than 10 yards. Usually, every second booth offers mulled wine and punch.

TD, your German is obviousely far better than I thought!

6. trekkiedane

I've only ever been to a German x-mas market when there's a lot (I mean: A LOT) of people in the streets -maybe that's what slowed me down!?!?
    (Or maybe it's the Schuss in my Punsch.)
    Thanks, I guess, but, you know, German is so much easier to understand than, say, Swedish or Norwegian*. And while I don't write it I do read and speak it well enough to get by and sometimes have strange things happen to me on that account: Sales clerks eventually asking me what Landsmann I am and German people telling their (also German) friends that my German is more grammatically correct than theirs (which probably means that I sound like a tourist but is phrased in a way as to not offend someone who would understand it :p )

I still don't know the difference between apple punch and baked apple punch though.

Plus: Star Trek wasn't dubbed in Norwegian where I lived back then... but I had three German channels to watch and only one Danish (which never dubbed anything)... that's the foundation I build my German and English-abilities upon.

7. rhubarbodendron

the baked apple punch has more spices in it and a good deal of apple brandy.

It was a genuine compliment that was payed to you. Many Germans nowadays are hardly able to speak their native language. It's really embarassing.

I wouldn't have thought that German is easier than Swedish. I understand the latter quite well, due to it's similarity to Dutch.
    You might have problems here in Bavaria, though. Our language differs a lot from High German or Northern German dialects. High German developed gradually from ancient and medieval German into an almost completely new and differently structured language. We Bavarians however still use a lot of Celtic words and the medieval grammar and pronounciation. Add to it that every village has its own peculiar dialect and you can get rather desperate LOL. (Don't worry, though: all Bavarians can speak High German - they are just too lazy to do it, usually. And we love to torture Northern Germans this way. Never tourists from abroad, though. We like those)
    :D

8. trekkiedane

Oh, I'm positive it was :)
    It's just... I don't know how well you thought I understood German ;)
    I spend quite a few summers in Frankfurt (Main) (close enough to Bayern for the locals to speak something that doesn't sound like the German they speak on TV!)with friends of my grandparents but still found the Tatorts from the deep south rather more difficult to understand than any of the others :rommie:

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sounds like a Long Island Iced Tea. :rommie:

10. rhubarbodendron

heehee, and those Tatorts are in High Bavarian, so to speak. A very much dulled and defused version we reserve for international TV productions, interviews and other semi-official events.

I had no idea you speak German at all, except for a few bits and pieces you might have caught due to your geographical closeness (and the many tourists). That's why I was so surprised about your excellent translation of that menu (would menu be the right word for a list of liquids??).
    Tyr Anasazi said it: never underestimate the power of words :D

^ *gasp* an alcoholic beverage from the land of prohibition where the beer has only half as much alcohol than Bavarian one?
    Hmm, on the other hand, when you throw tea into the sea, you have to stretch the leftovers a bit to last till the next shipment arrives. So it does make sense after all.

11. trekkiedane

If Dutch Coffeeshops and operating systems on a computer can have menus...

12. Owain Taggart

Thanks! I was much closer than I thought! The description is just like the mulled wine mentioned by Trekkiedane :) Again, you've been very instrumental to this thread, hehe. Haven't had mulled wine in quite some time, and now I want some...

13. RJDiogenes

Eh, we fixed that Prohibition fiasco 80 years ago. And there's nothing a Bostonian can't do with tea. :D

14. rhubarbodendron

15. RJDiogenes

I knew it. :rommie:

16. rhubarbodendron

who could resist such a bait? :D

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart:
    [​IMG]