(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Ergh. Tell me about it. WBA at the Hawthorns? Crushed. Boro at Riverside? Safely navigated. Bristol City away? Humiliated. Peterborough, Ipswich, Barnsley and anyone in relegation zone home or away? Made to look like a team of complete idiots. Drives me insane - but we're at St James' next week so I'll live with that form continuing for the moment!

And you're right - I don't know who you'd make England captain either.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they'd have won then it would have been Billy's decision. Seeing as they lost, it would obviously be Tyson's fault.

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

It's really hard to care about the captaincy. Just give it to whoever seems most level-headed on the day.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Fabio Capello looks set to stand by John Terry, WHAT A FUCKING JOKE :shifty:. Capello will blow a gasket at Emile Heskey for having his phone on at dinner but fucking another team mates wife is ok :rolleyes:

Capello's so called hard regime is nothing but a farce and is a signal to players and kids who follow england that do whatever you want you won't be punished at the end of the day. This will probably define Capello's regime and the media will use it against him if England flop at the World Cup.

Utterly disgraceful, THE FA and Capello are weak and the fans will not forget, just wait for the reception Terry will get come March at Wembley.

5. Angel4576

On the other hand the FA took all of two seconds to decide that no action will be taken against Young Nigel for clocking Billy Davros one on Saturday.

Well done FA. :lol:

Sad news on a slightly related note. Apparently the son of David Kelly has been killed in a car crash. Can't stand Ned, but that's awful news.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Yeah but now the matter is with Billy's solicitors :wtf:

Watched an interview on East Midlands Today last night and all I can say is, same old Billy.

1. Go on and on about Nigel kneeing you to divert attention from the fact you lost.

2. Make several comments about being dissapointed that the acquisitions comittee didn't sanction all the players you wanted to buy during the window.

I can never make my mind up if he's really cunning, or really obvious? I mean he has his excuse in early now and it's win/win for Billy.

If Forest are promoted he can bask in the glory and say "look what I achieved without all the players I actually wanted", whereas if they don't get promoted it'll be "well obviously if I could have signed the players I wanted to..."

Thats the main thing I've always hated about him, even when he was succesful for us. Nothing is ever Billy Davies' fault.

That is a lousy thing to happen to Kelly's son though :(

I guess we should reserve opinion over Capello/Terry until Fabio actually says anything. I don't envy him because its a no win situation really. And as I said it isn't like he's the only man guilty of this: Rooney, Cole, Beckham (never completely proven I know) the difference is that this was to a team mate. Now I don't think what he did was right under any circumstances, but doing it to one of your own team makes it worse, especially from the captaincy perspective.

7. Angel4576

Thing is, things are already in place to instigate R2's inevitable departure from Forest.

It'll all boil down to the same old tosh, that the board didn't back him and he wasn't allowed to buy the players that he wanted to buy.

Billy's smart, but sadly for him he's a one-trick pony and people are getting wise to his tricks.

Forest will suffer for not bringing in a leftback. WBA will go up in second. Forest will need to make sure that they're in the right frame of mind for the playoffs, which everyone knows are a lottery.

Dave Martin, the lad we were trying to get in on deadline day from Millwall but couldn't has passed a medical earlier in the week. Looks like we'll be signing him on a loan-to-permanent when the loan window re-opens on Monday. Also still keeping tabs on Vaughan at Everton. We have first option should Moyes decide that he can go out on-loan.

A decent window for us. Nicky Hunt, Russell Anderson, Michael Tonge should give us that level of experience needed to give the younger players that extra boost. Barker and Hulse look like they're back to full fitness as well. Both were outstanding against Forest on Saturday. The young lad from Man City should give us good competition at rightback and give us another option on the right wing.

Don't think we'll have any problems in staying up this year and then it's more rebuilding over the summer. Decent interview with Jeff Mallett on DET today. One of the major concerns (other than the obvious lack of investment) is that because the investment group is foreign then they wouldn't necessarily be as invested in the sport as we might like. Mallett sounds fairly invested, and has a huge and long relationship with the sport. A good read.

Not expecting much tomorrow. We rarely do well at Bramall Lane.

We're off to Burton to see Pesch's lads nail Port Vale. Hopefully....... :lol:

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I tell you now if FOREST end up in the playoffs we WILL NOT be going up...The last two playoffs in 2007 and 2003 saw us have leads of 2 in the AGG score only to chuck then away near the end of 2nd halfs of the 2nd leg.

9. Angel4576

I think I've still got the second leg against Yeovil on Sky+ somewhere, for comedy value.

Made all the better being the night after we'd beaten Southampton to get to Wembley....... :lol:

10. HappyDayRiot

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was watching MOTD earlier and it occcured to me that Dawson has been pretty good for Spurs this season, deffo back to his best so maybe he should get a call up against Egypt. Terry/Rio/Upson a going but we need a 4th choice and no one has claimed it yet.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well glad to see Burton won!

I think the most annoying thing about Billy is that this time he might actually be able to walk away unscathed which he didn't do with either us or Preston. Much as he rails against it I reckon he must secretly love the acquisitions comitee.

Definitely looks like we're getting MArtin, and that young lad from Arsenal who'll give us a bit of pace up front at least. Really thought we were going to get all three points on Saturday so was annoyed at the last minute equaliser. Of course if you'd offered me 1-1 before the game I would have taken it.

Yeah I think it was a decent window, and hopefully Martin and Sanu is it will boost us further. Nice not to lose Hulse or Commons but would have been nice to offload Connelly or one of two others.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

14. Angel4576

Davros at it again......

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...fail-to-land-single-player-article313169.html

And the 'Billy's too big for this club' bandwagon gathers pace...... :rolleyes:

Further condoned by him threatening to take Nigel to court over 'kneegate'. Good luck Billy, Nige has got 30,000 eye witnesses to say he did nothing. ;)

Burton did well at the weekend. Vale were restricted to just a few chances. Brilliant atmosphere and a near full house. Even Vale brought a decent away following with them.

Yeah, looking like we've definitely got Martin, and Sanu sounds like a replacement for Vaughan seeing as Everton won't let him go.

Think we're trying to get Connolly gone. We'd lined him up going back to Plymouth on loan but he turned it down. Sounds like he's happy to sit on the bench picking up a wage. Don't need players like that at the club methinks.

Would have taken 1-1 at kickoff so can't complain too much. The lad who scored for them though was on our books as a youngster and was at least, a Derby fan.

15. HappyDayRiot

His reaction to being asked about it after the Euro 2012 draw was even better. It was the first question, he refused to talk about it as it was time to discuss the draw, then left before the second question could come. Top bloke.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Its odd because I always got the impression that Connolly was a solid pro, guess we really are paying some of these guys too much.

I really don't get what Billy hopes to achieve by going on and on about Nige. The manly thing to do would be to laugh it off.

Yeah I think most of us would have taken 1:1 before the match. Would have been less annoying if they'd equalised earlier at least!

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Derby 3 Newcastle 0....

I did not see that coming! :lol:

18. Angel4576

As Nige said, 3-0 flattered, but the win was undeniably well-deserved.

I didn't think it would be Newcastle but I thought someone would catch a heavy result soon. We were brilliant against Forest, and despite the scoreline we played Sheff Utd off the park on Saturday.

Looks like Mr Clough's calls for ruthlessness were well heeded! :lol:

Bring on Brum in the cup on Saturday, can't wait!

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well we were due a flattering result given that we played well at Plymouth and lost, and should have beaten Sheff Utd. 7 points out of 9. That's more like it!

20. Angel4576

Given that we ended Forest's 19 match unbeaten run, and last night we halted Newcastle's club record 15 match unbeaten run, I'm extremely disappointed that Birmingham contrived a loss at Chelsea a few weeks ago. Was looking forward to ending that as well! :lol:

Got to say though, Newcastle seem like a model in humility in defeat, both on and off the pitch.

Their fans were just as sporting. None of the usual 'you were lucky' 8ollocks.

Fair play to them.

Perfect night last night. Humped the league leaders, Forest lost, and Leeds were denied a Wembley spot in the most cruel of circumstances! :lol: