Just in time for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tin Woodman

Now available at Barnes and Noble; I understand that Amazon will have it shortly.

When we wrote this I was about twenty-two. If you choose to read it, please blame me for anything you dislike about it and assume that any part of it you enjoy was Dave's responsibility. :)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that the story that was the basis for "Tin Man"? If so, I might have to check it out.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I bought this second hand (also remaindered, judging by the round hole punched in the top right corner of the cover). I pounced on it not long after "Tin Man" aired on US TV. Mine is the second printing (December 1985) of the February 1982 first Ace edition. I assume the 1979 copyright is for a previous hardcover edition?

The back cover has a review excerpt from "Publishers Weekly", saying: "You might sum this up as a mixture of 'Moby Dick', 'The Caine Mutiny' and 'Star Trek'... a good adventure story."

I recall I enjoyed it very much. And I loved the TNG version.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So you're Dennis Putnam Bailey?

5. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Your a writer then, a published one?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually his name is Dennis Russell Bailey. When he and David Bischoff adapted Tin Woodman into the episode "Tin Man," it was in partnership with Lisa Putman White, but at the time, WGA rules wouldn't allow more than two names on a script (or something like that), so he had himself billed as Dennis Putman Bailey so her name would be included. At least, that's my recollection of how he explained it.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I could've sworn I've seen Next Generation episodes prior to Tin Man that credited more that two writers?

8. Christopher

Well, I may have misremembered that part.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You may well still be right, but Yesterday's Enterprise lists six writers between story and teleplay credit. :shrug:

Maybe Mr. Legion can enlighten us?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

It had to do with terms of payment - they'd have had to pay quite a bit more because three people couldn't be paid as a writing team.

If you look at episodes with lots of writers you'll often notice them listed in pairs. "Yesterday's Enterprise" is unusual in that respect. The credits for "First Contact," for example, read:

Story by Marc Scott Zicree

Teleplay by Dennis Russell Bailey & David Bischoff

and

Joe Menosky & Ronald D. Moore

and

Michael Piller

Zicree pitched the story alone, sold it and did a treatment. David and I worked together to write a draft based on a story treatment we'd pitched based on a premise provided by the producers (based on Zicree's pitch and treatment). Menosky and Moore worked together on a second draft, and Piller worked alone on a final draft.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:bolian:Cool. In that case you might like to know that Tin Man and First Contact are two of my favorite TNG episodes.

12. Christopher

Oh, right, that was it -- that the rules at the time wouldn't allow a team of more than two members. I remember now.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Thank you. I appreciate that.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

15. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It might interest Legion to know that I too am a published author. So I can respect his views in this matter even if we do not always see eye to eye in other threads. *Salutes*