My thoughts on 'Booby Trap'

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Balok's Head, May 8, 2010.

1. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok, I know that this episode isn't really talked about as being one of the best of the series, or even from it's season. But I love it, and I'd just like to share my reasons and see if anyone agrees with me.

Firstly, the story is great, perfect mix of suspense and mystery. For me it moves at a great pace, not dwelling on anything for too long. Some moments are cringe worthy, all LaForge moments actually; like ".. and I'm not used to die'n!"

It has a really cool score, all original and I don't think that any of it was used again. So it has a nice original aspect to the music side of things.

Another thing that I just LOVE about this episode is that just about all the FX shots appear to be new for this one. It also makes me a little sad to know that just a couple of episodes down the line, they change the FX model to 'that ugly piece of shit model'. Why they did that after accomplishing shots like we see in this episode, I'll never know.

What are your thoughts?

2. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I agree completely, I always enjoyed seeing the 6ft model in all its glory here and share your disappointment in knowing that it is about the be retired for the vastly inferior 4ft one :(

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think its viewed as being a a good upper level STNG episode though probably not in the top 30 or 40.

I enjoy the music, the Geordi story, the FX and model work are top notch. I love the stirrings of Picard as an interested Archaeologist and quite giddy over seeing a Promelian battlecrusier. In a brief video appearance the Promelians become one of the cooler aliens of ST lore.

Are you talking about the 4 ft model? They used it because it had more surface detail and as they started adding more shots to the FX mix, they need a model that was easier to shoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RAMA

4. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

The music score for this episode is what immediately stood out for me, especially as the Enterprise slowly departs the radiation field. And seeing new visual shots in TNG is a rare pleasure.

One of S3's finest.

5. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

I just saw this, again, a few days ago. I totally agree with the previous thoughts on this episode. I would also like to add that we get to see just how versatile, and good of an officer, Picard is. Data seemed to be surprised by the captain's little slingshot maneuver in order to get them out of the debris field.

6. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is something that I never understood. Isn't this basic physics? I haven't had anything more rigorous than high school physics, and I'm familiar with the concept. I've never understood why the bridge crew, all of whom trained as pilots and who spend their careers traveling through space, would find this so unexpected.

In real life, I understand that they needed someone to explain it to the audience, but it's just something that always bothered me.

Good episode, though.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's a wonderfully underrated ep. with great visual effects, nice music, Susan Gibson was a fine guest and great to look at and it had a nice non-technologically answer.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember watching this episode during a time period when I had a new interest in archaeology. I felt a very strong emotional reaction when Picard destroyed the alien ship at the end of the episode, a real feeling of loss.

9. Balok's Head

I agree with all points, it's interesting to see some on this particular episode!

The music cue used when the crew discover that the Enterprise is in a radiation field is really cool to listen to, considering how unique it is to TNG.
    I really get a kick out of hearing Picard saying "Damn you" to a people, long dead.

On another note, has anyone noticed how vibrant the colours are during the third season? To me the camera work and colours look like crap in later episodes. In this episode they shine.The camera work makes the sets look incredible, in a way I can't actually explain.

Has anyone noticed this?

Oh and who here digs the white carpet on the bridge during the third season?

I always thought the reason the crew are so surprised about Picards trick at the end, was another nod to the 'humans are usefu'l story thread that runs so prominently through the episode. Nothing much more.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Eh, I liked the photography used in season one and two, it looked more "cinematic" to me. However, almost every other area of production improved in season 3.

White? I thought it was tan??

RAMA

11. Balok's Head

Well I don't know for sure what colour it was, it would also change colour depending on what TV you're watching.

[​IMG]

Ok, so it's more of a light ghost grey, but still, it rocks!
    I thought that it 'framed' the bridge a lot better than the later or earlier colour.

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I was watching it earlier today. I always did like the unique music. And Picard's comments about the ship in a bottle. :D

13. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ron Jones got fired for making these amazing musical scores. Nice huh? The drone music kicks in around the end of season 4.

14. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I agree with all good reviews of this episode. I loved the music, and being able to get a glimpse of the Enterprise-D still in her largely skeletal state of construction at Utopia Planitia... that was a major "OMG, how awesome!" goosebump moment for me, at the time. And I think the lighting and photography of the sets was the absolute best in seasons 3 and 4.

15. buckeyenation

buckeyenation Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is actually a fine ep, one of my favorites. I especially enjoy the scene in the transporter room as the away team left for the alien ship. Way to suck up to the Captain, O'Brien!

16. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

That was also the moment Picard realized what a bunch of misfits he had for a crew...

WORF: "I did not play with toys."

DATA: "I was never a boy."

RIKER: "I hated my father and my childhood." (okay, so I made that one up.)

17. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

Its always been one of my favourites. I likethe way Picard takes amore active hands on role rather than just talking.

18. Balok's Head

Yeah, it's a great scene.

Does anyone think that Geordi comes on WAY too stong with women? Seriously, every chance he gets; he just scares them away!

Mood lighting, soft light and a hot meal for someone you just met. Haha.

(oh that's, from TNG: The Child, opps)

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Some decent tequila and a campfire usually will take me there.

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Think you mean Galaxy's Child. I just watched these two as a "double-bill". And yes, Geordi is creepy around women, I totally agree with Leah in the latter episode.