STNG continues on in Bluray..with great packaging!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: TNG possible remaster [technical]

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't all of the visual ship shots since ST: TNG (Voyager, DS9, and feature films since 1995) been done as CGI-only?

I have not yet seen the 'Red Alert: Visual Effects' (for the pilot) hosted by Visual Effects Supervisor Dan Curry' special feature on ST:VOY season 1 DVD.

There may have been a models built for the TNG feature films but sticking to this thread if they remaster ST:TNG and recreate all of the ship shots and visual effects I can assure you it is easier for them to do ALL of them in CGI for consistency. The animators could just refer to the original show for camera angle and ship movement.
    Even if they could locate the original camera negative of the 6ft. ship model for each shot and telecine to HD and then adding the CGI stars and phasers anyway would negate using the film source to do it in a timely manner.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enterprise was the only all CGI series. DS9 was mostly model work supplemented by CGI in the later seasons. Voyager started as model work but switched to CGI a few seasons in.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: ST:TNG potential remastering

Star Trek fans willingly paid $99.99 for Star Trek V when it was first released on VHS. I have no doubt they would shell out whatever price Paramount put on a TNG blu-ray set.

4. jefferiestubes8

Voyager's FX model

Yes I just came across this about Voyager's FX.

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/voyager.html

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Voyager's FX model

You can always tell when it's physical models or CGI, particularly in later seasons when you get a lot of stock footage combined with the new effects.

6. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm fairly sure that Tomalak was saying that they should start from scratch on a CGI model that is based only on the 6 foot model of the E-D. The E-D in the last ENT episode was really nice but it didn't look quite like the 6 footer or the 4 footer. That's not necessarily bad though as it's going to look different simply because of the added freedom that good CGI brings for lighting and such.

Unfortunately though, all of the Trek stuff has been auctioned off, including the models. I'm sure some photos could be found of them though.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I am hoping that the new movie's success raises the awareness level of the studio to the point that resources will be directed into the "remastering" work of an STNG DVD/Bluray. Like TOS-R, which inspired me to buy an HD-DVD (which I do NOT regret), STNG-R will inspire me to buy a Bluray player.

RAMA

8. Tomalak

Sorry, yes, I didn't really make that clear. I meant "build" in terms of a new CGI model, not a physical one.

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Voyager's FX model

It's a crime that the model was never used for the entire series. I would much rather have had less shots of the beautiful physical model than a trillion shots of the absolute clusterfucked CG model we ended up with.

Don't believe me? See for yourself.

10. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It looks better on the show than in those shots. It's mostly down to the lighting, I imagine. Maybe those are also some sort of "draft quality" mode.

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I agree. I tend to prefer physical models over CGI if only because I can always tell, but I always thought the Voyager CGI model was okay when lit properly. I still prefer that beautiful physical model, though.

The Enterprise-E was another example where the CGI model did little to impress the design upon me, but the physical model rocked.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I still like the E-D from TATV better than even the Generations Enterprise. THAT is how I want it to look in the future.

RAMA

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Eh, the quality of that one's good. The shapes feel a bit off to me and it seems a bit darkly colored compared to the model's somewhat metallic medium lit coloring.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Bolding and underlining done by me for emphasis. This would be a clincher for me to buy a Blu-Ray player.

15. jefferiestubes8

Re: TNG possible remaster Ent.-D CGI model

16. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. The problems with the model can't be explained by program or rendering error. If you look at the top of the saucer, almost every feature is either bent, warped, or mis-aligned, and it's still really obvious on the show, especially with proper lighting.

Now, they did this to the Prometheus, which was a really beautiful, well-thought-out design before Foundation mangled it, but this is pathetic even by their standards. This is the hero model. They had more than enough time to do this right.

17. Tomalak

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks okay to me, considering it is over a decade old. Can you possibly point out some of the most grievous flaws?

18. jefferiestubes8

ST:TNG TV series on PAL Blu-ray 9/14/2009 (standard def)

Star Trek: The Next Generation finally on Blu-ray (standard def PAL) 9/14/2009

Special Features:
    four new ones are already listed:
    Image of the packaging mockup here
    SOURCES

originally from this source in German

19. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone on this forum say something positive about "These Are The Voyages...". Figures it would be about the special effects rather than something about the story. :) Also, I got excited by that last post when I thought it was about "The Best of TNG" set...with only one disc of episodes, it could use some special features. Another full series DVD set isn't something to get so excited about, though. Even if it's in a new format and has new extras...the seven seasons have already been released so many times, this is too much. I think they're just milking it and ripping off the fans at this point. Especially with those featurettes trying to link the new Star Trek movie to TNG when they obviously have nothing to do with each other...just a marketing ploy to get more money.

20. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: ST:TNG TV series on PAL Blu-ray 9/14/2009 (standard def)

Lager? That sounds like fun!

Ouch!

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.