The Dark Knight Rises -- Blake Question (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by darkshadow0001, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I take your point but I don't know that I agree.

I suspect that Nolan, like many creative people, will want to look forwards, not back. He's moved on, he's doing different things, I imagine that he'll not be too concerned either way. It's probably a bit like how Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon have moved on from Bourne and thus don't seem too upset about Tony Gilroy and Universal moving on with The Bourne Legacy.

Purely IMHO, of course, as I claim no insight into the man's thinking!

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. I just really don't see this happening at all with the Bat Reboot happening. I still think that is not as far off as some fans think. I personally think turnover will happen in two or three years. I think we can all agree though that whatever does happen, it will be an interesting process :)

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ In that we do agree. I think the end of TDKR was meant to show that Batman shall continue but in-universe. I don't really think that Nolan was setting up the future direction of the franchise. I anticipate them going down the Amazing Spider-man route, just not with as explicit an origin story. But yeah, it's going to be interesting.

4. Admiral_Young

Yep. I agree totally about the end of Rises. We see how The Legend Continues. It also goes with the saying "Gotham Will Always need a Batman". It completes Bruce's story, yet also cements his legacy and gives what Gotham continues to need with Blake.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you figure? There've been so many different Robins already, this is just one more variation. John Blake may not be *the* Robin, but he is *a* Robin. With all this 'realism', probably the closest that it's going to get in a universe like this.

That being said, it's definitely a better take on Robin than the one I came up with. :lol:

I envisioned a private digital companion/assistant, like Selma from Time Trax. Remote Operated Bat Information Network. :D

6. Admiral_Young

As I've mentioned already I see John Blake as being akin to Terry McGuiness than any Robin. Terry didn't become a Robin when he discovered who Bruce was or asked to be trained, he became Batman. This is what I think Nolan intended with this character. People can feel free to think he is supposed to be Robin, but that isn't the case IMO.

Your take on Robin wouldn't be so bad actually.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I had Blake pegged as Robin as soon as he told Bruce that he was an orphan and knew that Bruce was Batman, the cherry on top being that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was physically evoking the traditional depictions of Robin closely enough.

By the end of the film, though, it's clear that his destiny in the Nolanverse is not simply to be Batman's sidekick, but rather to be his successor.