Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on shots in this film, he gets bit some kind of unusual spider. Maybe it's radio-active, but who knows. There is a shot where he pulls out a gland or web from his neck where he got bit. My idea is that he uses the serum from this wound to create the material that he uses to fill the web shooters that he develops himself. This seems to fit the shots in the trailer that shows him testing his shooters. my feeling is that the wound secrets the enzyme to create the web, but his webshooters can obnly hold so much and eventually he has to prepare more.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's sort of my thinking he "collects" the webbing from the gland in his neck as well. Or maybe uses it to artificially construct it. Both makes more sense than Peter Parker simply coming up with the stuff and making loads of it all on his own in his bedroom.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That has been speculated yep. What's the problem though with Peter making an adhesive formula? He is a scientist after all.

4. Trekker4747

He's still a teenage kid living in his uncle and aunt's house and in lower-middle class. I'm thinking he's not going to be quite have the capability or resources to make a substance than can do everything Spider-Man's webbing can supposedly do.

5. Admiral_Young

A true scientist is resourceful though :) I know what you're saying though Trekker, have read and heard that argument over and over again. I don't have a realistic response for it of course, so I won't bother. This is one of the reasons why they gave Peter organic webbing in the first film (at least I believe it was) and of course in the comics it was just a continued money problem for Peter that endured his character.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's just barely audible that he says it's 'something i came up with' in the clip.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most "true scientists" live and die by grants or corporate R&D money. :lol:

8. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you.
    Regarding the new film: There's an interview with Webb, where he mentions that he went back to the mechanical shooters to show Parker's intellect. Of course that doesn't rule out the possiblity that he's using whatever's coming out of his neck as a basis.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny cause Sony/Raimi/Arad all made a big deal about how much screen time you'd have to commit to in order to convince today's modern audiences that a teen just created this in his Queens bedroom. That they just wouldn't buy it.

Now though, sure, show the intellect....no problem!! :lol:

10. Trekker4747

Well, I sort of agree. It'd be hard to buy in a movie -with a higher standard for suspension of disbelief- that a teenager living under such meager conditions would be able to develop a webbing with the strength and abilities that Spider-Man's does, let alone have the money and materials to manufacture it.

I get Peter is supposed to be "smart" but he's still a teenager living in a Queens slum and he's going to have all of the resources and avenues available to one -pretty much nothing.

There's a huge difference between being a smart teenage prodigy with a promising academic career ahead of him and being a teenager able to develop and produce loads of "webbing" that's stronger than steel, has miraculous adhesive powers when in contact with something (while only being "tacky" to the touch of its sides) and yet still degrades on its own over the course of a few hours.

Such a miraculous material would require very specialized chemicals, resources and machinery to produce. Something I'd argue would be well outside of the reach of a teenager living with his financially struggling aunt and uncle.

11. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

It's part of the spider bite effect; he instinctively knows how make webbing out of common ingredients. ;)

Also, a wizard did it. Maybe The Wizard, who can appear in the sequel played by let's say...Gerard Butler.

12. Trekker4747

How about Ted McGinley?

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Pffff, no camel toe!

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it ;)

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Saw the trailers. Lizard looks good. Don't like the new Spider Man at all. He's too mousy as Spidey.

Overall, they should have left it with Rami.

17. Admiral_Young

Sony and Rami parted ways over creative differences. What do people not understand about this? "Leaving it with Rami" was never an option.

18. Trekker4747

Honestly, in hindsight, I don't think Rami's films are anything to have praise over (especially the third one.)

They were good for it's time and certainly helped to "re-define" and "mainstream" comic book-hero movies but since then we've had quite a few comic book movies that have really set the bar high and in comparison the Rami movies just look... lame.

Hopefully the new movie will bring the right "tone" and "edge" to the Spider-man franchise so it's a little more in step with what present-day comic book-hero movies are doing.

19. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

No one forced Sony to "part ways" with Rami. They could have (and should have) listened to him.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

One was just about perfect (Kirsten Durnst notwithstanding). Two was very good. Three was a bit crowded, but still more than acceptable.
    Not to me...now you want to talk about superhero films that look lame next to the current crop, look at the Singer X-Men films...

Based on the trailer I saw, I'm not holding my breath.