Sticky taping kid's mouths

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Is this an appropriate form of punishment

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Not for children of any age

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  3. Not for five year olds

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

An Australian teacher is in trouble for allegedly taping children's mouths closed with sticky (adhesive) tape because they wouldn't stop talking. One Australian newspaper conducted a poll and so far 49% of people have approved of the teacher's actions (though that newspaper didn't state that they children concerned were only about 5 years old). So I have included a poll here to see what people think.

From my local paper

Rest of story here

2. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voted Not for children of any age

There's other ways to deal with children that misbehaves. But did she actually do it, or just threaten to do it?

There's a difference, but of course, one shouldn't make threats that you're not willing to go through with, so either way, not a good idea.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a very big deal, but it's also not an appopriate teaching method imo.

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

According to one child she actually did it. He told his mother that if it came off she stuck another piece of tape over a child's mouth.

5. windowsclifail

windowsclifail Cadet Newbie

Definitely Not for children of any age

Here in India, the kids already suffer a lot. This is certainly not a good way to educate.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

No, that's ridiculous. And it could be dangerous if the kid has an allergy or some other sinus problem.

7. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's be OK if done by the parents. I am also OK with ritualized, non-damaging spanking and washing a child's mouth out with soap. I think we as a society shy away from these lessons and that there has been a cost in discipline and in the creation of "good citizens" who understand the crime/punishment paradigm clearly.

I don't, however, think teachers should be doing this sort of thing.

I clicked "other".

When I was a young kid we received a version of a "time out" that saw us standing against the chalkboard with our nose pressed in a drawn circle. For more serious offenses when I was older, at least while I lived in Iowa, there was ritualized paddling by either the principal (if the offense took place in the classroom) or by the coach if the offense (usually a uniform - i.e. no jockstrap - violation) happened during gym class.

8. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

I think it is not ok under any circumstances (also not by parents!). This sort of discipline does not lead to actually understanding, it leads to more violence, to feelings of humiliation etc.
    Also there is no non-damaging spanking in my opinion. There are others ways to teach children what is right and wrong in a certain society. Like an enviroment with good role-models, where the child feels wanted and valued, with partizipation when it comes for thinking of rules in children groups, with staying in dialog and relationship with the child ...

TerokNor

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

It's distrubing some think it's okay. It's a form of negative punishment and does not lead to understanding. The teacher should have reinforced good behavior. Plus five year olds tend to be jittery and talkative. Many of them haven't learned or understand proper talking norms. They do not sit and stay quiet for long. The teacher should have planned around that trait.

10. ByrdMan

ByrdMan Commodore Commodore

I had a teacher in grade school who did that. It really wasn't a big deal. Maybe not appropriate for 5 year olds (iirc, it was my 5th or 6th grade teacher), but this doesn't bend me out of shape too much.

11. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

definitely not. but i cant but note that the kid was:
    [​IMG]

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it should totally be allowed; primarily for the LOLZ

13. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

WTF? Not appropriate for anyone to do any such thing to a child. If i were the kids parent i would be raising such a stink it isn't funny. Someone doing that to my child???? No fucking way.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Good grief! Ritualized spanking? Washing a kid's mouth out with soap? What is this, 1952? The only lesson kids will learn is that adults are sadistic bastards.

As to the original post: any teacher tapes my kids' mouth shut, that will be her last day teaching.

I understand the frustration (my wife has taught 3rd grade for 15 years). Especially when the parents won't help or are in total denial. Still, that's an assault. No way would I tolerate that.

There are certainly kids who are spanked who grow up fine.

But I find it completely unnecessary. We have two children (15 and 8) and we've never spanked either one of them. There's no reason. Or as I tell parents I work with: If you have to spank your 5 year old, that means he's outsmarted you.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

We really needed a poll to determine that teachers taping kid's mouths shut was not okay?

16. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The thing I find odd is that if the kid was misbehaving enough that you thought they'd need tape,,,that kid would be the kind that would just take the tape off anyway.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I voted "Not for children of any age".

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yeah, in defense of the teacher, she only "DID IT FOR THE LULZ"

[​IMG]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDnviT0FIQ[/yt]

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I only ever slapped mine two times when she was a child. Once when she ran out onto the road and once when she wrote on the furniture with an indelible felt tip pen. They were only brief slaps but I felt terrible. When she was about 15 she kicked me on the shin deliberately to see what would happen. I slapped her face so she decided not to do it again. For my part it was pure reaction because it was bloody sore.

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

This. I'm all for disciplining misbehaved kids: but there are better ways than corporal punishments or humiliations. I might understand an overstressed parent dishing out a spanking to a kid that won't stop throwing a tantrum. That's unfortunate, but it could happen. But cold and calculated humiliation? That's sick, and counter-productive.