NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm kind of indifferent to the idea of killing the PAT, but the proposed idea just seems like it's over-complicating the issue.

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

the PAT is fine as it is. The change suggested is stupid in my opinion.

3. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right. Like the NFL is going to eliminate the PAT and the opportunity to sandwich it in between two sets of ads. Also, the idea where the 7 pt touchdown goes away entirely and you'd have to go for two every time is terrible.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

How about this: Make the scoring player attempt the PAT. I want to see some totally gassed nose tackle try to kick it in after running a fumble back 50 yards.

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see him swinging his 100 pound leg, missing badly and passing out while slamming onto the ground like the huge pig in the "Dawn of Man" sequence in 2001. Another injury timeout which the league and its advertisers love.

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

That he wants to do it to make the game "more exciting" is laughable at best. That it could actually happen makes it one of the dumbest ideas I've heard since the implementation of the celebration penalty.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Was going to mention the Snow Bowl, so I'm glad Alidar brought it up. The inability to kick and the choice to go for 2 (except for the one one miss, which was hilarious) made that game much more interesting.

The other side-effect of awarding all TD automatic 7 points is that the player who scores the touchdown now scores 7 instead of 6 on stat sheets. We've got decades of data for players who score touchdowns, and each one of those guys gets 6 for his TDs (and 2 for any 2PC). Kickers get 1 and 3 for their goals, and are typically the scoring leaders for teams when they play over multiple seasons. If the problem is that kicks are too automatic, either make the kicks harder or eliminate the kicks and force the 2PC (like college does in 3OT). Don't award 7 to the scorer.

I like the idea of the scoring player having to kick the PAT. You could also make it like rugby, and force the kick to come from perpendicular to the point at which the ball crossed the endzone, instead of all the kicks being straight-up line drives down the middle. That might change scoring strategy, too (i.e., you score a TD right over the pylon? You've gotta kick it diagonally from the sideline toward the goalpost).

8. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Also glad he brought it up. Meant that you had to go back 12 years and found one example of a game played in total blizzard conditions where the extra point wasn't totally automatic. If you had come up with an easier list of games played in the last decade, and not in complete disaster conditions, it would have been a decent rebuttal. Since the Snow Bowl was unique (and thus you can just say Snow Bowl and know what game it was), point pretty much stands. Extra Points are successful to the tune of something like 99.5% (give or take, but it's over 99%) of the time. That's as automatic as you can make anything in football.

Award it automatically, or make them kick a 35 yard FG, don't really care, but they're wasting our time with it as is. Willing to bet they can figure out scoring statistics, since there are armies of nerds who do that for a living. There will be a way to figure out that 7 is the new 6, pretty sure. Something about converting by subtracting 1...

BTW, if the extra point was impossible and hilarious in the Snow Bowl, how awesome was Vinatier's 45-yard FG to tie the game at the end of regulation? ;)

Edit: guess there are a couple games that could be referred to as the Snow Bowl (lazy nicknames I suppose), but obviously assumed Pats/Raiders from 2001/2002. Could also have been 85 Packers/Bucs. Can't tell you anything about that one, though...

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I think he may have been actually been talking about the Philly/Detroit game this year. They tried the first PAT conversion in that game and then completely gave up on it from that point on.

11. tighr

I was indeed talking about this year's PHI/DET game.

Changing subjects, I watched the whole Pro Bowl Draft last night. Not bad for a first attempt by the NFL Network. I could see tweaking the rules and setup a little bit, but otherwise it's a positive change to the Pro Bowl.

For those who didn't watch it, notable picks were Andrew Luck 1st overall by Team Sanders, and Alex Smith won the title "Mr Not-so-Irrelevant" by being the sole remaining player, assigned to Team Rice.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yep, although it wasn't the first attempt. It was about a third of the way through that one team decided to risk it. I think that shows there's merit to moving it back. But I don't think it shows there's merit to making it literally automatic just because it's generally automatic.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Hmm, gotta at least start coming up with NEW clever nicknames for games I guess, as that's not where my mind went at all. Given past history, I assumed he was going with the previous Snow Bowl game (also known as Tuck Rule game). At least whenever they try and call a new game at Lambau Field an Ice Bowl game, they try and attach a number to it (Ice Bowl 3) or whatever. Otherwise it's lazy and confusing. "You know, from the Super Bowl. uh, which one?"

Anyway, didn't see that game, but will take your word for it. What's the last game prior to that you can think of? Try to Success rate is, again, well north of 99%, so not so sure it ISN'T automatic, other than the occasional time God votes no due to extreme weather.

Not sure I care that much one way or the other, just see it as a waste of time and automatic. Good time to go take a piss or grab a beer. Scored the TD, you know you're getting 7. Either just make it official and save the time/freak injury risk, or do something to make it worth watching.

Slightly further back (even a 35 yard FG isn't automatic, although generally successful), gone completely in favor of just getting 7 points (or 6 plus a 2-point conversion try, your choice), or even go all conversion tries. 1 point from the 1 yard line, 2 points from 4-5 yards out?

Way it's done now is tough to say matters, outside of "it's always been that way" which isn't a compelling argument.

14. tighr

Eli Manning handling Super Bowl ticket requests for Peyton
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...andling-super-bowl-ticket-requests-for-peyton

If I were Peyton Manning, I might ignore any advice Eli had for me regarding "wind" in the stadium. Eli threw 15 interceptions at Metlife Stadium this year, and 9 each in 2011 and 2012.

15. tighr

Surprised you missed it, it was kind of a big deal.

Not to mention, there were at least 12 posts in this thread dealing with the game, starting here:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=8990080#post8990080

[​IMG]

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought of the Pats-Raiders as the Tuck Rule Game. Snow Bowl always felt like a generic term for any game in a blizzard.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that was my understanding

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

vaguely remember hearing about it now that it was brought up, but wouldn't have come to mind. 2 NFC teams in an out of market game, and don't think it was televised locally. Or if it was, I watched the other 1pm game with better teams than Philly or the Lions. Can't tell you from memory if the Pats played the 1pm or the 430pm that day, but if they played the 430, the 1pm must have been other AFC teams I was more interested in. I DO remember the star wars pic now that I see it again.

And the media may try to overuse the term and make it generic, but quick search has it showing up for the 1985 game and the 2002 Pats/Raiders game I mentioned as the top picks by far (and on wiki). There are Philly references, but you have to keep looking.

You can say "tuck rule" to reference the Pats game and have people get it, but think it's a perspective thing. Around here it's mostly thought of as the Snow Bowl I think, whereas maybe outside the area (or generally anywhere that doesn't like the Pats or wants to put the negative connotation behind it) it's known first as the Tuck Rule game...

19. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey man you can make a bunch of excuses or you could just watch a 5 minute highlight package every once in a while. It's the 2013 NFL thread, not the 2013 "Tawm Brady and the Pats are the Only Things That Mattah" thread ;)

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

When I saw the expression, "Snow Bowl", it made me think of the "Tuck Rule" Game. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.