Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I understood that it only affected those with a Gou'ald host. I was asking if the archway was the only place that affect occurred or was it like the dampening field that prevented the staff from firing and covered the whole chamber. Cause if it was only at the archway then the location to the outside that Carter&Jackson came though would be passable.

I watched two more last night.

1x9-The Torment of Tantalus: Another direct tie to the film by bringing Catherine back in for this episode. It played as a "lost moment in Stargate" lore by showing the '45 attempts.
    What also is great here is it expands on the idea that there are several alien species who've been interacting (the alien UN) and this castle site was a meeting location it seems. It also reinforces that the Gou'ald didn't create the Stargate tech but scavenged it/stole it. My only question though is if they didn't create it then why do the glyphs seem more Egyptian-esque in script style? Also, if they never mapped that site where Ernest from '45 was all this time they also weren't part of the alien UN as he described it for that room.
    So that means there are at least FIVE alien races at play to be explored for this series just 9 episodes in, right?
    1. Gou'ald
    2. Thor's people whose name I've not committed to, UN species 1
    3. UN species 2
    4. UN species 3
    5. UN species 4
    The only parallel I can think to draw is Klingon, Andorian, Romulan, Vulcan and Ferengi(toss up species). Trying to think of the five most influential species in Trek lore for a comparison.

1x10-Bloodlines: The first Teal'c centered episode, right? I thought it was an honorable move that Hammond took O'Neill's advice and offered to help Teal'c in this personal mission to save his son from being an unwilling slave to the Gou'ald like he had become. I'm wondering what consequences will play out now that his son has Teal's more mature host while Teal'c has the younger one. Also if there will be any shakeup within the camp. Tael'c's wife made it sound as if they had been ostracized from the others already. The ally Bratac(?) I couldn't fully read. He didn't seem very Gou'ald loyal but is he a separatist? I'm sorry to go back to the well but I get a vibe that Teal'c is the Worf of the show. Which my gut tells me we will revisit any fallout from this event.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Teal'c would have to get through the archway in order to get to that entrance.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But was the barrier only in the arch or over the whole area like a dome? Would some rock C4'ing have been helpful to make a new exit?

4. The Wormhole

Oh, I get it now. Honestly, I never thought about it too much over the years. *Shrug.*

5. Captain Craig

Had passes to a sneak of Tyler Perry's new movie Alex Cross so I only watched one before heading out.

1x11-Fire&Water: I wasn't overly excited with this episode. The history fan in me is enjoying the little things though. Here it's this Aquatic Race(member of the Alien UN?) that has ties to ancient Babylon but don't seem to have the same understanding of passage of time and want an update from Daniel. His knowledge of cuneiform seemed to be his undoing. When the SG-1 team is at his house to pack up his belongings, cause they have a memory implant of Daniel being killed, they slipped in another tie to the movie. His journal was read from by Carter,"I don't think Jack likes me...I'm never going to get paid."

I'm guessing this race isn't part of the Alien UN, other than an interest in Babylon the one character gave off a very solitary vibe. Is that cultural or just how he dealt with Daniel, my guess it's cultural for now.

6. The Wormhole

The Fishman is not part of the "Alien UN." With this being his only appearance we don't learn anything about him or his race other than what we learn here.

7. teacake

That's too bad. The guy had charisma.

8. Captain Craig

1x12-The Nox: Armin Shimerman is the first Trek alum to appear on the show, or major Alum, that I can tell. And only 12 episodes in. This episodes initial reason for going to Nox homeworld is cause the program is in danger of being shut down due to lack of progress. Progress as being defined by bringing back superior technology to use against others, like the Gou'ald. O'Neill is taken back by this but I'm taken back as to why he would be. Seems a logical reason that's part of the SG-Teams, part. The other easy going aspects like survey, first contact, research would all be secondary to a military lead program. So why O'Neil is baffled seems odd. The comparison to the NASA moon landings and why we've not been back to the moon, now that I did find odd. No way back then were they seeking advance tech. Points for trying though.
    The episode itself was decent. The Nox's invisibility is for sure a great asset but the people are so docile that I also don't think they are part of the "Alien UN", I'm kinda wondering if I should quite trying to figure out who that's going to be right now.
    I did think it interesting how their city was floating in the sky was. Is that a Viking tie? Asgard?

1x13-Hathor: Another tie back to Egypt and the fertility goddess of Hathor. I had been hoping to explore this. Afterall the line in the movie, "...would it stand to reason if they know one Egyptian god...". An episode where the ladies on SG get to be in the spotlight since Hathor has the men under her control. The one thing I want to revisit mostly from this episode is just how Hathor ended up in the Mayan Temple? I'm curious as to that.

1x14-Cor-Ai: This episode also made sense, albeit I hadn't put any thought into it like O'Neill I guess, that we might run across some people with a specific grudge match with Teal'C. This is one of those where the ending was fairly predictable though so for sheer sake of surprise it gets an average score. I hope Teal'C doesn't have to reprove himself too often though, that could get boring.

9. teacake

Any time time they need an initial conflict scene they can just have it be about Teal'c being with them.

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

I think he had a cameo in "Finding Nemo."

;)

11. teacake

I wonder if you had a big cephalopod alien working on your team if making calamari jokes would be enough to get you fired. I bet tartare sauce would be banned from the messhall just to keep the incidents of offense down.

12. The Wormhole

The Nox do indeed belong to the Alien UN.

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

Only because they're so sweet and polite that everyone else would've felt guilty not inviting them. Ironically, despite the invite nobody ever saw them attending the meetings.

14. teacake

I'm betting they are actually cannibals and all is revealed in season 9.

15. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

We should probably stop calling it the Alien UN. It was never anything like an alien UN.

16. The Wormhole

It's an understandable comparison for someone only in the first season, especially since Daniel (or was it Ernest?) describes it in Tantalus as "a United Nations of the stars."

17. Captain Craig

^^^^
    It was Earnest who called it a type of "Alien UN", that's the only reason I was using that term. And it's really nothing like that in the end, huh? Well it figures about the time I decide to stop trying to guess the members of this....coalition(better ?) and figured the Nox were a one off, they show back up.

1x15-Singularity: This episode is one that really helps showcase just how ruthless and cunning the Gou'ald are. Implanting a bomb inside a little girl. Everyone else on the planet that SG-7 had scouted ends up dying of a disease which is also a huge step just to ensure that Hammond and SG-1 are lead into their trap. One of the questions I now have is that it seems if you're on an SG team other than ONE, you are a red shirt unit essentially. This isn't the first team to lose either a member or the whole team be lost. I recall SG-2, 4 and 9 as well so far in just 15 episodes. How many teams are there are we told? Does one of these teams end up on Atlantis(I know I'm way ahead of myself but my mind is just thinking now). If that can be answered un-spolerific, great, if not I'm content to just be left wondering for awhile.

1x16-Enigma: I want to say I'll see more of this race. Even though the Tollan commander seemed off putting(for good reasons as he saw it) they just seem to be an eventual ally even if it's a begrudging alliance. And of course The Nox show back up...and likely will again? If so will Armin be reprising his role? The late 90's was good to him with DS9, Principal Snyder on Buffy and this(assuming he's back at some point). Carter's romantic interest(I don't recall his name) getting to keep the cat was a nice gesture. While not a true parallel to Data on TNG my mind couldn't help but go there. I also have to, from a real world perspective, question the likelihood of that being allowed. Seems it would be a type of violation introducing a native Earth animal onto a foreign world, the Nox's no less.

18. gturner

gturner Admiral

You do get to see more of the Tollan, and the Nox.

Hrm... You folks have seen the Ernest episode more recently than I have, but if Ernest went through the gate during WW-II he would preceded the creation of the UN and would've instead thought of it as a "League of Nations." I'll bet the UN phrase was Daniel's.

19. teacake

The cat was microwaved and bleached before it went through the gate, it is of course neutered and since it will be fed it's impact on native fauna will be minimal.

20. The Wormhole

In the first season there's only nine SG teams, but each season more get added and by the end of the series I think there's around twenty-five.

Atlantis has its own military contingent with its own SG teams, though it's never indicated how many teams they have.

As I recall, the episode has Daniel reading that description in Ernest's journal. I agree, I've always thought it odd that Ernest would use the term "United Nations" but figured it was used to make things easier for anyone in the audience not familiar with the UN's history. Or the writer wasn't aware of or forgot about the League of Nations. Or both.