The Official Speculation Thread about John Hurt's "Secret" Doctor....

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The Official Speculation Thread about John Hurt's "Secret" Doctor.

Lance Parkin has a fascinating... well, I'm not going to call it a theory because it was a throwaway line on Gallifrey Base.

The Hurt Doctor fought the Time War on the side of the Daleks.

This makes a lot of sense, given what little we know of the Time War and it fits well with what we see in "The End of Time" where the Rassilon's inner circle is terrified that the Doctor has "The Moment" (why would that terrify them if the Doctor were on their side?) and the Doctor is terrified that the Gallifrey has come back. This would explain why the Time Lords resurrected the Master -- they needed a rogue element to counter the Doctor. And this would explain why the Doctor saved Davros.

If true, it may have been an alliance of convenience for the Doctor. He saw his own people go power mad (shades of the warning he offers in "Trial of a Time Lord" 13), and he made the judgment that the Daleks were the only force in the universe that could counter a militaristic Time Lord society.

And then, of course, the Doctor betrays the Daleks, using them to get him in a position where he can use The Moment and eliminate both sides.

The Doctor can still be proud of what he did to the Daleks, the Daleks can still fear and hate the Doctor.

It's a workable idea.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I made it happen" doesn't necessrily mean "I did it."

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That is a very interesting idea and would certainly show a whole another angle at his grief for killing his own people and his anger at the Daleks and their inability to stay dead.

I doubt this is the actual explanation because it seems far too gutsy for the show and it would risk alienating the fanbase, both new and old.

Which raises another point. The Eleventh Doctor is horrified by The John Hurt Doctor, but can Moffat actually provide an answer that's both satisfying and doesn't manage to alienate a large portion of the fanbase?

4. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

He could use a memory wipe excuse though I can see tempers exploding if they used that one. That and you can say being put in his timeline made him remember.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

John Hurt erased the Hartnell and Troughton era master tapes.

6. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahem "Invasion of Time"

Judging by past history, NO!

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Bastard!!!! No wonder 11 is so ashamed of him.

So, does this mean The Doctor's real name is BBC, since some of us assume the name HurtDoctor did his shameful deeds under was his real name? Or was that also just a title he took for himself?

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^in that line of reasoning, perhaps HurtDoctor was heroically stopped before he could wipe Monty Python as well, when Clara made a phone call to Terry Jones asking if he'd like to buy them instead???

9. Yminale

I have a crazier idea. nuDoctor and classicDoctor are two different Time Lords. Maybe classicDoctor died in the Time War and the Time Lords used the Matrix to implant his memories into nuDoctor. That's why 11th is so angry and said "not in the name of the Doctor"

10. Yminale

So does that make Ian Levine the MASTER *head explodes*

11. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd buy that.
    Yeah, doesn't mean it has to be the same regeneration does it? And besides, if the theory is right, Hurt is still the same person.

Although personally, I hope Hurt is the Valeyard, maybe the Valeyard had two incarnations?

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't it possible that John Hurt is what happens to Donna if she fully DoctorDonna's out?

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, I've got a hard enough time accepting the whole Season 6B thing, I'm not even going to start considering a Doctor between Troughton and Pertwee.

The Master is typically a much nicer guy. At the very least, the Delgado incarnation displayed better manners than Levine.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

What do you mean by that? If you're referring to The Doctor's use of the DeMat Gun, then I would say Lance Parkin's idea is far gutsier than that.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Just thinking what are they going to call Hurt's doctor in the special? not his real name obviously and not Doctor (at least 10 and 11 wont call him that). Maybe call him 9? or even something generic like the 'outcast'.. or the 'Other' (The other..hmmm lol) ?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  16. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

Dark doctor

17. Allyn Gibson

I think Hurt, assuming he is a Doctor his later selves believe is unworthy of the name, will still call himself "the Doctor" because that's who he is and has, for centuries, thought of himself as.

As for what the Tennant and Smith Doctors call him, they may avoid the question altogether.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, he did his shameful thing(s) "not under the name of The Doctor", so, I don't know that he neccessarily called himself the Doctor.

If he doesn't have his own name, 10 and 11 will probably refer to him simply as "him" or something like "The Destroyer" or "The Abomination"

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe he's pre Hartnel and is the real first incarnation of the doctor. Maybe he was a real ass hole before he reformed and became the doctor. The tenth doctor in The End of Time stated that "I've taken lives before, convinced people to take their own, and worst I got clever" or something. Maybe he's either referring to the pre 1st doctor or 8-9th doctor. Either way, I think he's probably talking about Hurts "doctor".

Maybe he was the Valeyard before the Doctor, and in his thirteenth incarnation or whatever, changed back. Maybe the Valeyard his the Doctors true nature he keeps buried beneath himself.

20. Allyn Gibson