New Silent Hill movie, "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Brandonv, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A new Silent Hill movie is in the works and it sounds like it will be based upon the storyline from Silent Hill 3.

Silent Hill 2 was my favorite game in the series, but I thought the third one was really good too.

Regarding the first SH movie, I found it to be a bit frustrating to watch because they came so close to getting it right. The look, music, and overall atmosphere was spot on, but I thought that the script itself was weak.

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I felt the same way about the film: The script.

It looks like they are doing basically the same story idea, but now taking the leads directly from the game...

Sounds like a DVD rental, unless I see something worth really paying for.

3. Brandonv

I'm wondering, since Roger Avery and Christophe Gans are now out, will this movie actually be a continuation of the first one, or a reset?

I'm thinking it could be a reset because the ending of the first SH movie doesn't give the proper set up for the story of Silent Hill 3.

Sharon is apparently dead at the end of the first film, so she can't grow up and become Heather.

4. Brandonv

I just discovered this post on the directors blog.

He plans to keep the look of the first movie, have a better script, and make it scarier. I am relieved to see that he is aware of the first films flaws, and knows what needs to be improved. Now we just have to wait and see if he has the talent to pull it off.

I'm still curious to know if the plot of this new film has any connection to the previous.

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it cool to resurrect this thread after so long? Because the movies actually out now, and I haven't seen any new threads on it.
    Trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWrZmD0AN4

I'm going to see it shortly, so will post back later, I just wondered with it being out for a few days now if anyone else has seen it?

I know the first movie wasn't perfect, but as a fan of the games I really enjoyed it, especially how faithful it was by using a lot of the games' music etc. Although I do perfectly understand to anyone who's never played the games would think that movie was pretty weird.
    So this is obviously based on the Silent Hill 3, kinda of a shame as I'd probably say Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite video games of all time.

I know this is billed as 3D, but there is a 2D option. Indeed my local cinema is only playing the 2D version for some reason (not that I'm a 3D hater, I don't mind it at all)

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't played any of the games but have seen both films. Bearing that in mind, I thought both of the films were ok, but probably wouldn't go and buy them on dvd

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Never played the games, haven't seen the first one, and the theater chain I work for isn't showin' the sequel in 3D or 2D, so I can't get in for free...

...so, I haven't decided if I'll watch this yet or not. Saw the trailer a few times, and it looks suitably creepy. Maybe if I can drag a friend along for the ride...

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was very disappointed by the second movie. I really liked the first one, but this one just had a very uninteresting and meandering story. There were a couple cool sequences with monsters but that's about it.

In the first film, weren't they Christian wackos? Cause here they're trying to summon a demonic god or something...

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it. Well, even as someone who's played Silent Hill 3, I had a hard time working out was going on in that. So to anyone who hasn't it must have been incomprehensible.
    I did kinda enjoy it as a fan, but yeah it was hardly amazing. It felt a bit like a music video- all style and no substance. At least in the first movie there was sort of a plot you could follow, this was just a bit of a mess frankly.

Nice mini Game of Thrones reunion though with Sean Bean and Kit Harrington. And Adelaide Clemens was nice enough to look at.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I agree with you on that score, and I thought a lot of the acting was terrible. My niece saw it with me and she's never seen the first film, but she enjoyed looking at what's his name and found it "jumpy" enough to have enjoyed it.

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was alright. Nothing special but nothing really bad either.
    The visuals and the audio were great, just like in the first movie.
    However the dialogue was at times cringeworthy. That could've used a do-over.

I liked how closely they followed the structure of the third game (Dream sequence - Mall - Home - Driving scene - Silent Hill Motel - Asylum with Leonard - Lakeside Amusement Park - Nowhere).

The thing that most fans seem to hate:
    The final "boss fight"...well, it was fan service but then they couldn't have poor little Heather fight that thing bare handed.

In the game we don't care because Heather's fighting skill is our fighting skill. The combat gameplay is never very deep and you can kill anything just by whacking it over the head with a pipe enough times.
    In the movie, however, this would have been totally implausible.
    So i understand why they did the scene that way.

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Didn't mind that, made sense with the whole "Guardian/executioner" thing. Well as much sense as anything in the film made.

13. Brandonv

Hey, I don't remember posting this...

*looks at date*

..oh :lol:

I almost went and saw this movie last weekend, but got scared away by negative reviews. I'm glad to see that some people enjoyed it. I'm somewhat tempted to go see it now, but this weekend Skyfall hits theaters, so I guess I will be waiting until Revelation is available to rent.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was going to see it two weeks ago, but at the last minute saw 'The Cloud Atlas' instead.