7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 27, 2013.

?

Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"

Poll closed Jun 6, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

39 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Good

46 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Average

24 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. Not worth salvaging

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

I was a little confused as to when the magna-grab remote became the resit button or why, even after being burned, why I would want to attack anyone.

But I loved this story because of the Tardis interior. I have this pet theory about either the Tardis being the universe in a way, or being a tessaract wrapped in a texture--a cosmological defect.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Maybe he didn't know about it until Clara mentioned? I have to rewatch the episode because I can't remember his reaction to Clara's mention of the book and his name.

So did I. It reminded me of Bablyon 5's Earth Alliance ships.

3. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My only complaints were that there were too many blink and you'll miss it moments (including the remote) but the main story was meh? The whole reset thing doesn't help. I hate it when they write themselves in to corner and use some Deus Ex Machina to get themselves out.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was seeded throughout the episode. It's not a deus ex machina.

5. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mention this. Deus Ex Machina, Chekhov's gun, it's still lazy writing.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It doesn't make any less of device. That we have seen again and again.

The more I reflect back on this, the more disappointing it is. All of the stuff with Clara, the advancement of their relationship, wiped out. The next few episodes could've been so much more potentially interesting with Clara mistrusting the Doctor, and perhaps having her OWN mystery to unravel... But, no. Blank cheerful Clara... again.

She's slowly becoming an uncharacter. She's cute and bubbly enough to keep fanboys interested and in their beds at night, but she's more of a MacGuffin than an actual flesh and blood character with depth, needs, goals, etc.

Personally, I don't really care about her, or her "impossibility".... in a Universe like Doctor Who there could be a million reasons why she has existed... he travels in a fucking TIME machine... why is she SO impossible?

Bleh. This series aint so good.

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see how Clara is any less of a character than previous companions. Personally, I'd say she has more personality and is better acted than Sarah-Jane was in 70s Who, and she's less annoying than Jo Grant. She also doesn't cry all the time and reference Eastenders so she's probably in the top tier of New Who companions, if not my favourite by default.

Still early days now though and time will tell if she'll be up there with Ian, Barbara, Leela, Romana, Ace and Bernice Summerfield as a favourite of mine.

Please explain to me Susan or Sarah-Jane's needs and goals in the classic series? Did Rose and Martha have any needs beyond the Tenth Doctor's dick?

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many more episodes are there left in this season. I think part of my disappointment stems from the fact that after this season, we have the 50th anniversary special and then no more Doctor Who until probably next year. They have this mystery of Clara and I'm afraid it won't get resolved, thus making us wait like 1.5 years before we actually get any answers. This was the perfect episode to really delve into that, and echo or not, we're kind of back to square one. If Clara does remember than so be it, but I was hoping we could leave the episode with this storyline of what happened being deep to the point where the final episodes of the season can really delve into the events of last night. Because it was "kinda" a reset, I almost fear that the remaining episodes will be more of the same, and next week's episode looks so much like "Hide" that I'm almost bracing myself to be disappointed again.

They started this mystery of who Clara was, going all the way back to the premiere episode of the season, and I hope we get answers before the season is out and everyone is fawning over the 50th anniversary show. If there's only 2 episodes left, we're going to get some rushed stories to wrap up the season successfully.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ 3 more episodes, then the 50th anniversary special (Nov.) & the Christmas special.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So there will be a Christmas special? I thought the 50th Anniversary special was supposed to serve in place of the Christmas special, thereby no more Doctor Who until 2014, which might be in the Fall again like how Season 7 was. Still, with three episodes left, I really hope we get something, or else I will hate last night's episode even more for the potential it squandered.

11. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

Initially I thought the magna-grab remote was the magna-grab, so I was confused. Once I realized it was the remote (yes, I know the Doctor says this to the Van Baalen brothers while holding the remote, but then he mentions something about the remote being in someone's pocket, so I got confused) it all made sense.

The magna-grab (a device presumably mounted on the salvage ship) is used to cripple ships. It is activated by tapping the top of the magna-grab remote, and deactivated by tapping the top again.

It was the magna-grab device that catastrophically crippled the TARDIS in the first place (because its shield oscillators were down, otherwise it would have no effect), causing the engine to explode, the time rip to happen, the fuel to leak out, and all the other problems in the episode.

By tapping on the magna-grab remote in the end, the Doctor deactivated the magna-grab device, preventing the TARDIS damage from occurring, and causing the reset.

I was fairly forgiving about the scary zombies---after all, there needs to be something to scare the children into running behind the couch. :lol: It always confuses me, though, that the camera crew unfocuses the camera whenever filming the creatures (whether the zombies this week or the monsters from Hide). I can understand using a fuzzy lens to film a "creature's-eye view" but why would someone's vision go fuzzy when looking at the creatures?

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

That's how you're supposed to do deus ex machinas. Give it some kind of context to make it believable despite it being so sudden, unusually powerful.

I don't think that's quite happening. It might not be as intense as without the reset, but she'll meet Vastra&co. next week... oh dear it's set before The Snowmen isn't it? :/

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it was always going to wrap up in that manner. Before the season started I thought maybe the Doctor was going to continue to encounter "Claras" and mysteries but that doesn't seem to be the case. Even if she had remembered her talk with the Doctor I don't see how it would've advanced the solving of the mystery, she'd just know he's trying to solve one. Not that it couldn't have added some spice to their interrelationship.

At least for me personally, I've found that approach to be pretty effective, the monsters this week and last have seemed more intense than usual.

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Didn't the Doctor say that being near the Eye of Harmony too long would liquify your cells? Their minds are probably messed up. If you can get your hand melted to your face or get melted together with your brother, it probably isn't good for your brain. At least that's what I got from it.

Also was the one with its hand on its face supposed to be the Doctor? If so, I find it interesting that he was in the Tardis' storage room and later found his way to the library. Maybe he had some memory left.

15. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but it's also on the topic of Clara. Wikipedia says about the next episode: "This episode will be seen from Vastra, Jenny and Strax's point of view as they encounter the Doctor on one of their cases."

Does anyone know how much of the main duo will be in the episode? It sounds potentially a doctor-lite.

I'm feeling this mind-wipe we got to experience a bit better what keeps happening to the Doctor. It's feels like a uber-mild version of what happened to Rei in Neon Genesis Evangelion and I think in the new movie again.

16. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

Although I think that people here should be able to say what they wish (well, so long as the moderators approve :p) I must admit I never understood the reasoning people use for calling the TARDIS "Sexy", or why they enjoy it so. It was basically just a throwaway one-off joke from The Doctor's Wife.

In this episode, the Doctor calls Clara "the salvage of a lifetime". By the same token, we should all refer to Clara as "Salvage Oswald" from now on. :p

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Hey, SHE started it! :p

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I still haven't seen "Cold War," but I managed to catch the rerun of "Hide" and "Journey..." last night. Enjoyed them both, but I admit the reset button at the end was super annoying, though the brothers seemed to have some recollection of what happened. Frickin' time rifts.

I am intrigued by Vastra and Company for the next episode. They have, after all, already met Clara before, and they have seen her die. I wonder how that will play out. This season is already mostly over, so this mystery can't play out too much longer.

19. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

by the title of the episode i thought it would be a good and interesting episode,but just like the rest of the episodes they were crap.part 2 of season 7 is turning out to be a dud.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am mostly just finding Clara to be kind of a boring companion. Stuff happens all around her, and I feel like she's just kinda...there. For big crazy mystery girl, she's exceptionally ordinary, which is really odd to me because Future Oswin and Victorian Clara were so much more interesting.