Wonder Woman TV Series Shelved

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I attempted searching for the other thread in TV and Media but couldn't find it so started a new one. It seems David Kelly completed the script to the pilot and turned it in last week but Warner execs passed on it, deeming that it was too expensive. So just like the live action film the tv series project seems back in development hell for now.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/08/warner-bros-shelves-wonder-woman/

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm disappointed at the continued lack of high-profile Wonder Woman adaptations; but on the other hand, I couldn't imagine that David E. Kelley's version of Wonder Woman would be one I'd enjoy, so I feel we've dodged (or bracelet-deflected) a bullet.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Too expensive? :lol:

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

i was fully expecting this, when it was first annouced.

5. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm almost at the point where I just want something to feature Wonder Woman in a live action context. A movie, a TV show, whatever, no matter the quality. But I'm not quite that desperate yet and still hoping it'll be good. :)

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno if we dodged a bullet...it must have been really set heavy with special effects if Warner Bros' deemed it too expensive is my guess. That could indicate that it was ambitious in it's scope. Who knows. I was interested in his take. I'm not sure what the difficulty is with "Wonder Woman" to be honest. Steeped in Greek myth, potentially strong female action role model as Linda Carter seemed to be back in the 70's. Bridget Regan is still my choice to play Diana. I wish "Smallville" had done a WW episode.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was half expecting this. I'm not surprised.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm glad we've been spared that likely atrocity.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats just unfortunate.

I wonder how much would it take to do a Wonder Woman Espionage Centered Series like the comics.

10. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How can superheroes like Green Lantern/Elektra/Green Hornet get movies and no one wants to make a series about the most iconic of superheroines?

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

this isnt meant to be sexist, but the problem with some female charcters, is that they are dated compared to the modern world, male characters are more timeless, whilst female characters are more products of there time.

so reviving Wonder Woman for the general public on TV in the movies, is always going to require changes so she fits the modern world, almost making it a pointless excerise.

Times have changed for women, WonderWoman runs the vey real risk of looking hopelessly dated.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Because she is not iconic.

The reason that she was even published at first was a role model for girls. Then because of legal obligations.

Honesty Robin, is more iconic than Wonder Woman.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Bleeding Cool has more on the shelving of the project -- Fox wasn't interested, CW couldn't afford it, and ABC has their own superheroine series in development (the Alias adaptation).

NBC would seem like a logical choice after Heroes, but they have The Cape, and a comic-book series just doesn't fit with CBS's direction.

14. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good posting name Cuchulan, no surrender!:)
    I think in the popular imagination WW is still tops, ask the man in the street to name a female superheroine and he'd name WW. Just as Robin gains his notoriety from the Adam West Batman the public still think of WW from the Lynda Carter series

15. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Then make the show about Wonder Woman not fitting the modern world and trying to find her place. If the character seems dated, don't change it, embrace it and make it work.

16. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They should consider it for next fall, if The Cape get's a second season they could use Wonder Woman to create a comicbook/superhero block.

17. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I guess there were too many morphing faces, healing bodies, exploding people, cities clowing up, and capes that can wrap around guns and hit people. [/sarcasm]

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont compelty disagree with that, however TV is not a medium for such fancyful ideas, any changes made are going to alter what teh show is, and make it a much harder sell.

Putting Wonderwoman in the modern world, to me completey changes hers relationship with "mansworld", with men & women. Something like that is not want people want from WonderWoman.

Look at some of the recent female "superheros", whats her name from "My Super Ex Girlfriend" a movie that seemed to me to suggest that is prefectly accpetable for women with superpowers to beat on there powerless ex bfs, however in fariness I found the whole idea so offensive I didnt watch the movie, so maybe I misunderstood it.

Meanwhile you have female TV characters like, Buffy, Xena, Sydney Bristow, the novelty of a female hero is long dead.

For me the story would have to be about WonderWoman realising that her sisters are largely guilty of all the crimes they told her men commited against them, and that there is actually a place in mans world for women.

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with NBC is that until the Comcast buyout is approved, there's no one at NBC that has the power to approve it.

The guy who is going to run the programming division can't say yes yet, and the guys already there won't approve that kind of expenditure for fear of being overruled.

They should run it past NBC again if The Cape tanks.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam