Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

83.3%
  2. Above average

11.5%
  3. Average

2.6%
  4. Below average

1.3%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The way you phrase that makes it sound nefarious on his part. So for clarification, he did not know in advance and was not part of the plot. In the books he was left in charge of Riverrun and heard the news with everyone else.

2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ah...good point. I misunderstood the "did he know" question as being after the fact. Apologies for the confusion.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Well, I can't claim to be normal, but I feel the same way as you do. I can't be nearly as sad or emotional as some of these people get, especially since these characters really weren't exactly favorites. I found their deaths unsettling and surprising, and perhaps somewhat impactful, but not worth getting in a frenzy about.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Too much book discussion in the thread which is why I avoid these.

Just want to say FUCK to what I just watched and wonder why I should keep watching after that.

6. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Because as shocking as it was, none of the people killed are in actuality the main characters and the desire to see how everything plays out in the end.

7. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Awful lot of killing just because Robb Stark did not marry one of Lord Frey's daughters.

8. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a way for Tywin Lannister to defeat an enemy in an unexpected way while bringing two houses to his side without fighting a traditional battle or indeed getting up off his arse.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I hope the "True Love" marriage was worth it for Robb.

10. Venardhi

The Freys have long resented the Tullys, and Walder is old enough to have plenty of personal grudges of his own. This was really just the straw that broke the camel's back.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the brutality and the surprise that provoked such a strong reaction for me.

Maisie Williams is adorable, it's tempting to watch this on a loop - They dead

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do wish the show had previously established the Westeros rules between a guest and a host. Without those, the Red Wedding wasn't quite as shocking as it was in the books.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It wasn't just that, in the books Walder's oldest son (one of the only ones he actually liked) led the Frey forces that joined Robb and died battling the Lannisters for him. The one he intended to inherit the Twins (and one of the only diplomatic, intelligent Freys as well) was now dead.

On top of that, Robb was planning on leaving the Riverlands to go back into the North and wipe out the Ironman invasion meaning that the Twins would be a major target of the new Southern Alliance to get back to the North and there'd be no Northern defense from Robb.

Along with the disrespect of his Marriage Vow, all that combined is what set Frey off.

14. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

:wtf:

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, go figure...

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that's not what he said: he distinctly said "To Blave," which we all know means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated!

I'm gonna go grab me a nice MLT.

17. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

"Fuck that for a game of soldiers," said Frodo.

19. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was a perfect storm for Tywin Lannister. Robb broke his vow, which angered Walder Frey. He executed Rickard Karstark, which alienated one more powerful bannerman. He had lost his home, Winterfell, to the Ironborn, which gave Roose Bolton the idea that it was time for someone else to rule the North. Tywin was masterful at coordinating all these aggrieved subordinates and uniting them in common purpose. Now, the Freys are placated, the Karstarks are revenged, and Roose Bolton is the big dog in the North. Not to mention the War of the Five Kings is basically over now.

Stannis is still out there. The alliance with the Tyrells is shaky. Dany has dragons and an army. The Others (White Walkers) are coming, eventually. The Brotherhood Without Banners is still on the loose. And of course, not all the Stark bannermen pulled a Roose Bolton and switched sides. The North remembers...

20. Venardhi

I think you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Life doesn't get pretty red bows at the end of a character arc with the plots wrapped up nice and tidy. Choices are made and those choices have consequences. In this world, the consequences are often death.