They killed Kelso!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MarsWeeps, Feb 28, 2013.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That--and he by Mitchell's own words earlier that day, he was "getting stronger," which can be read as he had not reached his potential, so yeah, a giant, rocky outcropping would be enough to crush him after suffering an attack from both Dehner and a brief beating at the hands of Kirk.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Retroactively speaking, I wonder if Kelso is a descendant of Charles Tucker...ever notice how Paul Carr looks like Connor Trinneer?

In fact... isn't Kelso supposed to have lived in an orphanage during childhood? He could be Charles Tucker the Tenth (or whichever generation would be alive at this time), and not even know it! :)

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Kelso was given a backstory?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The orphanage backstory for Kelso comes from the Pocket Books novel trilogy My Brother's Keeper by Michael Jan Friedman. But there have been various books and comics that have interpreted him and other pilot-era characters and events in differing ways.

5. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, a thought just occurred to me... when they did "Mirror, Mirror," it would have been WAY COOL if they had brought the characters of Kelso... maybe even Gary Mitchell... back in the other universe.

6. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was before "f^nw^nk" was invented. ;)

7. Christopher

^Well, you could argue that TOS helped invent it, because they did bring back recurring characters like Riley and DeSalle and Martine. And they brought back Harry Mudd, and they tried to bring back Kor in "Day of the Dove" but Colicos was unavailable.

Still, I think the priority behind "Mirror, Mirror" was "dark reflections of the familiar cast" (hence the title), not "alternate reality as opportunity to resurrect dead characters from a year-old episode that most people probably don't remember." After all, at the time, the pilot hadn't been rerun much if at all yet, so audiences hadn't had the chance to get as intrigued by that "alternate crew" and its missed opportunities as we became later on.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Gary's the Emperor and Kelso is dead in the Mirror Universe. ;)

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought it would have been cool to show a Klingon crewmember in "Mirror, Mirror" without any commentary but neatly implying that the Terran Empire had conquered the Klingpons. If they had, the whole MU saga might have taken a different tack.

10. Christopher

Most likely, Mirror Gary would have lived a normal life (such as it was), since the Empire wasn't big on exploration and thus probably wouldn't have sent a ship to probe the edge of the galaxy. And if they had and Gary had shown dangerous powers, Mirror Kirk wouldn't have hesitated to kill him.

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kelso was indeed a great character. In the 90's when the Sci-Fi channel aired the uncut TOS episodes; they interviewed the actor who played Kelso. He said that he was bummed that he was killed off . . . particularly after what became of Star Trek!

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Thanks, guys.

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In some ways, it seems like Kelso was the first series regular to die.

14. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

"The reports of my demise..."

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, I just strangled him again.

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

True story! I have no idea where those pages are now.

18. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What could have been interesting is if Trelane's parents were voiced by Lockwood and Kellerman.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Ugh, no.