Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Lighthammer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the production costs of the project, a profit is not not even possible given CBS ownership of the copyright. CBS would obvious have to sanction the product, for any real profit to be made. Again, if nothing happens it just becomes a film Star Trek fans can watch and enjoy.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seems like they've ensured nothing will happen. They've bypassed CBS and have information about the project all over the internet.

3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think CBS will issue a C&D, but I think a C&D is a lot more likely than CBS licensing it after the fact and making it a pliot for a series.

4. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They actually outright answered me on Facebook saying they have a big a announcement coming in regarding to the CBS thing.

I should also mention that, like so of the others in this thread, it really makes them sad that people are making such a big deal about this "Not being a Trek series without CBS".

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not regarding CBS per se. Also, "Not being a Trek series without CBS", is subjective in the fact that it is non-canonical if it was not sanctioned by the owners of the product.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is it subjective? Non-sanctioned/unlicensed = non-canon/unofficial.

I don't mean that disrespectfully. Quality is not determined by canonicity.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No offense, but all that might mean is that CBS is making a statement that it's fine with them producing this as long as no money is made off of it, just like with Phase II.

Excuse me? You were the one who misrepresented what this project is (an officially licensed and approved Trek production, which it is not) with false information (that Rod Roddenberry owns the Trek movie rights, which he does not). All we did was inform you that CBS owns the rights to Trek in its entirely. You seem to be under the impression that we are bashing this project because it is a fan production and not an officially produced CBS production, when in fact no one is bashing it at all. All people have done is point out your misinformation. If the producers of this project are sad that people here think we're bashing them, it's because of your misrepresentation of it. So don't presume to act as if we're the bad guys here.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perfectly said. Thanks, and seconded. If there's any evidence of anyone in this thread bashing the project, I've missed it.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's the big announcement (from their Facebook page):
    If they get their money and make this, it'll be "presented to CBS as a possible online series"

The Kickstarter page has plot details and several cast announcements.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^So in other words, they're not asking CBS to produce it for them or to back it, but rather they're just going to ask CBS's permission to put it on the Internet, just like Phase II. Unless I missed something, there's nothing there to suggest CBS has any interest in having this project be a pilot for a new Trek television or TV movie series.

11. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I was unaware that the new Star Trek film cost over $1.5 billion to make. :p

Also, this whole idea seems really weird of gathering money and then showing it to CBS. Shouldn't they be asking them permission before trying to gather funds from fans?

And why should money even be the difference? Didn't we learn from the Enterprise fundraisers that those with the rights cared more about keeping their brand as not being bottom of the barrel rather than continuing on for measly amounts of money?

12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

A reminder: $150,000 is 0.1% of $150 million, not of $1.5 billion. (It looks like you are thinking of 1% instead of one one-hundredth of one percent.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Phase II asks for paypal donations on there site. CBS knows about that but does not seem to mind. Renegades is trying to do the same thing, the only difference is they want to also present it to CBS that may or may not work.

Kickstarter has recently worked great for Marc Zicree's Space Command project, of course that is an original work but still it shows that fans want more scifi.

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Greg, 150,000,000 x 0.001% is 150k so the 0.01% is a typo on the kickstarter page that will be fixed.

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

You do know that 0.001% is 0.00001, right?

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, wouldn't 150,000 be .1% or .001, rather than .001%

150,000,000 * .001 (or .1%) = 150,000

17. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I think you're confused.

I think the thing about a paypal button is that it is a lot more transparent. It could have generated no money or lots of money, but they don't really know (or probably care). But Kickstarter has definitely had some pretty big influence and the numbers are right there. People doing works based on copyright properties that raise any significant amount of money, the specific amount which is available for all to see, would bring a lot more attention to such a thing. I've already seen it happen to some other Kickstarter projects.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Good points, at least with Kickstarter they not actually taking money that we could potentially have to return. Pledgers have 60 days and by that time if CBS were to shut it down they would of already.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, let's get clear on this:

There is zero chance that this film leads to a Paramount-backed television, theatrical, or even web production. None.

The "never got a C&D" is a red herring and has nothing to do with the actual issues here, some of which have already been addressed succinctly by others in this topic.

20. Savious

Savious Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ditto; I'm so freaking tired of the time travel, alternate universe, differnt time stream stuff, I'm almost sick of Star Trek.

I hated the REBOOT

If I want time travel, I watch Dr. Who, Star Trek was supposed to be about exploration, interactions, complex cultures, etc etc....

I was .. ok, still am, a die hard trek fan; but voyager got caught up with way to much technobabble, and enterprise was a really good idea, with some very very bad execution; and that REBOOT... I walked out of the theater, so still don't know how it ended, nor do I want to.