Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I'm looking forward most to Uncanny Avengers and Avengers. Lame way to "return" Jean back to the fans if you ask me. Not at all interested in another time travel to the present so the original X-Men can be appalled by what is going on in the present story. What's more is that I'm not looking forward to X-Men characters written by Bendis who has shown in Avengers Vs X-Men and anything else he's written with them, that he doesn't know how to write those characters.

Interesting to find out if the rest of Rich's check list turns out to be true over the next few days.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

IGN has a bigger, and better quality version of that picture.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Which actually comes from Entertainment Weekly, in the story I linked above. EW was Marvel's go-to for the official confirmation of this Marvel NOW initiative.

Anyway, Admiral_Young, even though I personally have no emotional investment in the Jean Grey situation, I agree with pretty much everything you wrote about Bendis and this time travel plot. I hope All-New X-Men ends up being the only X-book he writes. That also seems like an odd title to give to the very first team.

4. Admiral_Young

It's rumored that he'll be taking over Uncanny X-Men as well *shudders*. I suspect that we'll get the rest of the details and Rich's checklist confirmed or rejected next week at SDCC.

5. PsychoPere

Right. I'm just trying to remain as optimistic for as long as I can that that rumor won't pan out. :p

6. Admiral_Young

Yeah me too...but I fear Rich has been on the money so far with this...so I'm anticipating being disappointed lol. :)

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Good thing I'm not hung up on X-Men current continuity of the past 10+yrs so I'm not to concerned about things.

As long as Rucka's Punisher run continues I'm fine. I didn't read the link since I'm guessing it's all about Avengers and X-Men.

8. Admiral_Young

You didn't read the story about Punisher War Zone last week @Captain Craig? Frank's going to be involved in a big story this fall. He's targeting Avengers!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-comic-con-teaser-this-is-war.html

Yes the relaunch line concerns mostly Avengers and X-Men, but also has to do deal with some other books which haven't been confirmed yet. Such as Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc. We'll probably be hearing about cancellations at SDCC and new books as well IMO.

9. Captain Craig

No, I was a bit disconnected last week. Had a business conference in San Diego, of all places, and missed plenty. This would be on the list. Thanks for linking.

So this is going to be a new ongoing then or just a micro standalone event? Kinda sounds like a new ongoing, which if it is likely means Rucka's book is ending and this is relaunch #14/15/16--heck I loose count. Just wish Marvel would let a 616 Punisher ride. This reboot/renumber irritates the tar out of me.

10. Admiral_Young

Unknown about War Zone. The full details are supposed to be revealed at the Amazing Spider-Man panel at SDCC (since he and Daredevil) are part of the Spider-Man book group now. I haven't heard anything about Ruka's book being cancelled though as part of this.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I kind of hope, being the continuity nerd I am, that the Omega Drive from Daredevil does play into Punisher: Warzone. The crossover with Daredevil and The Avenging Spider-Man prompted me to buy The Punisher for the first time since the Venom/Punisher mini-series (Hey, it was the 90's, and it had a holo-foil cover, don't judge me! ;)). I really enjoyed the crossover (for clarification, The Omega Drive crossover. The Punisher/Venom crossover, not so much), especially Punisher's role in it. I really like Rucka's writing, but am a bit hesitant to go back and buy the book based on one issue. Maybe the trade of the first few issues someday.

Anyway, am I alone in thinking the premise of having him target the Avengers seems similar to the recent X-Sanction story where it was Cable targeting the Avengers?

12. Admiral_Young

^Not at all...and that's kind of why I'm not interested in it myself. I assume this has to do with fall out from "Avengers Vs X-Men" though. Frank has kind of been isolated for the most part from this, so who knows how they'll introduce this story. I'm still kind of looking forward to Punisher in Space even though it's own thing :)

An interesting observation that I just made. Avenging Spider-Man #9 comes out a week before Carol's actual book comes out, so Avenging Spider-Man #9 seems to be the debut of her new Captain Marvel look. I would have thought Marvel would have waited a week to release this...but oh well.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. Captain Craig

For any Punisher fans out there that may be interested the Remender Punisher Omnibus it can be gotten for 50% off at cheapgraphicnovels.com -- so it's $50. Downside is that site still has you pay shipping of $6 but it's cheaper than Amazon or InStockTrades(I site I like that does free s&h over $50).

14. PsychoPere

It's amusing for me to hear InStockTrades mentioned... I know several people who used to work at their brick-and-mortar store (Discount Comic Book Service), I've met the owners (one of them even came to my apartment once for the birthday party of a friend who worked there), and I've been a local customer in the past. Even though I'm aware that DCBS and IST have a significant internet business presence, I almost never see it mentioned anywhere.

15. Captain Craig

I ordered it from cheapgraphicnovels (my first ever purchase from them) but prefer IST when discounts are the same due to not only free shipping over $50 but their packing method. If you've never ordered from them they ship the TPB in a secure foam core virtually eliminating the possibility of damage during shipping.

Are they fairly cool people and/or customer service friendly in person?

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes you wonder if Cyclops might get killed off in Avengers vs X-men since they would kind of have an out.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would still leave two Beasts, an Ice Man and Arc Angel.

"I do it with a hot ninja a few dozen times, then I sleep with super hot blue shape changing villainous?"

"I'm blue or blue and evil?"

"My wings are going to be staked to a crucifix and then my friends an family are going to tell the doctors to cut them off to save my life?

Seriously?

Apart from Emma frost being ten thousand time better the Ice Man than bobby ever was, and the inferiority issues leading out of that and a while where he couldn't turn his ice powers off once or twice and... The dread era between the New Defenders and X-Factor where Bobby tried to make it as a chartered accountant... Iceman has lead probably the most blessed life of the X-Men.

WTF???

Wikipedia is telling me that he's macking on kitty pride these days!

OMG!

His body has been blessed by a priest.

Icerman's body is composed of %100 Vampire killing holy water.

He's like an atom bomb in any war against the Vampires.

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah Bobby kissed Kitty in the opening arc of Wolverine and the X-Men and there has been a tease of a possible romance between them. Kitty and Piotr kind of "broke up" during Schism. Either one of them though didn't really say they were breaking up...they're kind of on a break lol.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well it was one of Bobby's slaved doppelgänger drones that kissed Kitty, propelled by subconscious impulse.

What was far more exciting, was Deathbird hitting on him a page earlier.

I guess the next ten issues will clarify which 'ship takes dominance.

Did Deathbird have a baby with Bishop?

If Deathbird marries Bobby, or married Bishop, would that husband now be the brotherinlaw of Xavier and the Cain Marko the former Juggernaut?

If Marko isn't the Juggernaut anymore... What damn good is he?

(I've been reading.)

The only reason Chuck got the house was becuase Cain was presumed dead in Korea.

Now if Juggs had just been smart, hired a lawyer and overturned his fathers will, the mansion would have been his, and he could have legally evicted the X-Men and that would have been game over, rather than doing what he did.

Trying to head but everyone.

20. Admiral_Young

IIRC Deathbird and Bishop married and had a child in Chris Claremont's "X-Men: The End" but not in 616.