So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Trek Survivor, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was a TNG and DS9 fan back in the 1990s. Tried Voyager for a couple of seasons but lost interest. By the end of DS9, my Trek love was waning...

I watched the first episode of "Broken Bow" when Sky premiered it in January 2002, almost out of a sense of obligation. It was OK, and I certainly didn't hate it, but I had such a sense of indifference to Trek by that point that I never watched another episode.

Backin 2006-ish, I got back into Trek and rewatched TNG and DS9 with my wife (who had never seen any Trek before meeting me). She enjoyed them. We tried to watch Voyager as a follow-up but both of us felt it was pretty awful.

2014: I note that Sky Atlantic are reshowing Enterprise daily from the beginning. I set the show to record, and my wife & I start watching...

And it's really, really good fun! I had heard so much hate and disapproval of the show, I really thought it was going to be terrible. But it wasn't.

We are now up to "Shuttlepod One" (another good episode) and I can safely say I enjoy this show.

The characters are all engaging - well, Mayweather hasn't done much yet (except for all that "boomer" stuff, and that was a bit annoying), but it's not his fault. Every other character is likeable enough.

The scenario is good - though some of the nods are pretty heavy-handed (e.g.that whole "one day some one will write a directive for us to follow...") I like the efforts made by the creators to remind us that this is taking place before all the other Treks.

I like the pacing of the show, and the action - while still keeping what makes Trek 'Trek'. As much as I love TNG, it does feel like watching a stage play nowadays with the stiff direction and delivery of many lines. Enterprise feels like a 21st century TV show, and even though it's already twelve years old itself, it holds up rather well.

Oh, and the theme tune is just fine. It goes very well with the tone of the show.

So, yes, consider me a "convert" to Enterprise. I've heard bits and pieces of what's to come from future shows, and I suspect I will continue liking it. No doubt it has dud episodes like all the other series, but the only one I haven't liked so far is "Terra Nova" (think that's what it was called). All the others have ranged from good to excellent :bolian:

2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Cool! Welcome. We have pie.

[​IMG]

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Needs to be Pecan pie.

4. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Lieutenant Red Shirt

To me, Enterprise is the best of ST.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious what you'll think of season three, where the direction and tone of the show completely changes (I thought it was the best season i all of Trek, but some hate it with a passion)

6. jespah

@Mutai Sho-Rin That's all I had in Photobucket. I'll go hunting for pecan pie.

7. jespah

Here's Pecan Pie, straight from the end of the Breaking the Ice episode -
    [​IMG]

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My teeth are aching looking at that.

9. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Another ENT fan! :biggrin: Welcome aboard, Trek Survivor, and keep us posted on what you think of the show. It's always interesting to hear new viewpoints. Enjoy!

10. jespah

Yeah, it's basically a sugar bus where the next stop is your pancreas.

11. Trek Survivor

Thanks for the welcome guys! Saw "Fusion" last night - I liked the non-typical Vulcans, but kind of enjoyed the interplay between Trip and the Vulcan Engineer more than the "A" story of T'Pol. Good episode, though.

As I said before, I like all the characters. I found Reed a little irritating at first, but he has grown on me. I still find it amusing that his dad was played by Lt. Gruber from "Allo Allo" (not sure if that UK show ever made it to the US, so some of you might not know what I'm talking about).

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome Trek Survivor nice to have a new Enterprise fan join us.There are some really great Season one episodes for you to look forward to seeing soon.:)

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm also enjoying ENT way, way more than I did back in the day for some reason - probably B&B Trek "burn out" or "episode fatigue" in 2001. Too much of a good thing maybe? It's been tremendous fun reviewing the episodes on Blu-ray - although the technical quality of the HD presentations certainly leave a lot to be desired.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I can safely say ENT is a far superior Star Trek than DS9 IMHO - but I do still enjoy that show.

1. TOS
    2. VOY
    3. TNG
    3. ENT
    5. DS9

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well "Shuttlepod One" is definantly one of the best episodes of S1 of ENT. Though it has a couple of scenes I don't care for.

15. Trek Survivor

Just got to watching "Rogue Planet". Not bad, but I didn't enjoy it as much as others this season. Reminded me a bit of the DS9 episode "Second Sight" in its basic premise, and the "revelation" that the hunters were chasing whatever appeared to Archer was very obvious from the beginning... still, watchable enough.

This far into the series, I am impressed that there hasn't been any episode I outright disliked - "Terra Prime" and "Dear Doctor" are my low-points so far.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It may be bad for the body, but it's good for the soul. ;)

Nice to see another fan who gave ENT another chance. In my experience it seems like a lot of folks who either disliked or dismissed ENT during its first run have later come back around to enjoying it after giving it a second go. I know I'm one of them; I saw most of Season One and wasn't too impressed, but came back early into Season Four and fell in love with the show. Now it's my third favorite series in the franchise after DS9 and TNG.

Enjoy the show! :techman:

17. Trek Survivor

So two more episodes down - "Acquisition" and "Oasis".

Let's start with the latter first - ugh. A big disappointment, and what a waste of Auberjonois. I do recognise that with so much Trek/sci-fi in general, themes are going to be repeated over time... but this episode was SO much like the DS9 episode "Shadowplay" (I thought maybe they'd have a different ending but no... we get the "they're happy to be with holograms and that's how they'll stay") I couldn't really enjoy it. The fact that the guy who played Odo - who had a significant part in "Shadowplay" - featured just reinforced the similarities.

As always, Trip Tucker was good in it, and I liked the scene where they opened the escape pod and found the dead guy... but yeah. Not good.

As for "Acquisition"... I can't really find it in me to get hung up over "Trek continuity" (it's all made up, after all) but I did find myself wondering how this jived with all the mystery over the Ferengi in early TNG. I know they never mentioned they were Ferengi, but there'd be video logs of them around the ship etc... I am sure somebody looking at historical records would've pieced it together.

Having said all that, the episode itself was kind of fun. Archer playing the one Ferengi was good. Trip and T'Pol also had some good moments. I do get a little uncomfortable when the whole "Ferengi love sexy women as slaves" thing comes up... almost as if I'm gaining an insight into the writer's mind that I'd rather not have - I'm sure that's not the case though!

Ultimately, after being so enthused about the show thus far, I think "Oasis" is my new low-point (just beating "Terra Prime"). Hopefully the next episode will be good again.

18. jespah

I think you mean Terra Nova (season 1) and not Terra Prime (season 4), yes?

19. Trek Survivor

Oops, yes, that's right.

Anyway, watched "Detained" last night. This is more like it! Really enjoyed this episode. Great to see Dean Stockwell again and the story was interesting.

20. Trek Survivor

"Fallen Hero" and "Desert Crossing": I wouldn't say either were best-of-the-season material, but neither bad either. Just "fine" - I do hope they get to Risa after having two delays though!!

I know I'm nearing the end of season one, and I have to say, it has had a fantastic "batting average" of good episodes. Probably the best start to any Trek series in terms of "excellent" to "good" to "okay" to "poor" episodes.