Rolling Stone Magazine calls for the return of TNG to TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by VOODOOXI, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

God, no. It'd be as sad as a Brady Bunch holiday reunion movie.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I know it's kind of fanboyish, but it would be neat to see a miniseries or two-hour special which combines characters from TNG, DS9, and Voyager and introduces us to the adventures of a new cast and crew.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kicking off a series like that... cool. Ending a series with characters from the other show stealing the spotlight... boneheaded. I'm looking at you TATV.

4. jaygibson77

jaygibson77 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd like to see Worf as captain. A new crew. Old crew can make cameos. New people working on the show.

At first I was thinking it could work like the Perry Mason movies of the 80s/90s but TNG really wasn't very good with 2-parters or movies.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I am so sick of Worf, one of the reasons I no longer buy the TNG novels. There's a point where you can simply use a character too much and after nearly three-hundred episodes and four films, Worf is a character that has been used too much.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I haven't read any of the novels and he didn't get much to do in the movies. I'm not tired of Worf.

7. Hober Mallow

The writers always got stuck in the "You/he/she/they is/are without honor!" rut that made the character so uninteresting to me.

8. R. Star

Worf's an average character, and got the short end of the stick in the movies(cliche lines and comic relief), but he had 11 seasons of regular development, and frankly I think most of his potential has been realized. If there's to be a new series, it shouldn't be centered on him.

9. Hober Mallow

I think he had a lot more potential than just the "Honor! Honor! Honor!" we mostly got. (Thanks a heap, Ron Moore.) There were glimpses of some of the potential in some episodes, like when he was willing to let the Romulan captive die much to Picard's dismay, or in "Redemption" when after Kurn told him it was the Klingon way to kill his enemy after his enemy's defeat he told Kurn, "I know, but it is not my way." By the time of the films, they just gave up entirely. A shame, really, as Worf could have been a much more important character in the films.

10. R. Star

I'll agree there. Him letting the Romulan die was one of the most "woah!" moments in TNG I can remember. To me Worf was the outsider, who read up on Klingon ways and customs, but at the core never understood how they behaved and adopted human core values no matter how much he projected his Klingon exterior. Had they explored that side more, it would've been cool but yeah... Worf as is, is just a case of overcompensation.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Let's not forget National Car Rental commercials!

Grandma knows best! :techman:

You know that Ron Moore wrote your second example, right?

I was going to offer that Worf could only work if they got Ron Moore back to write him....

12. Hober Mallow

Yes. There was certainly potential there, but potential that was rarely ever realized as Moore kept writing the Klingons as one-note.

13. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's true for all the characters, and that's why I'd prefer an animated series as opposed to a live action one.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think a TNG-like series could be very successful right now.

With modern characters. Not with a bunch of already well-traveled characters in their 60s.

15. Mr. Comic Book

Mr. Comic Book Ensign Red Shirt

That article was nothing bit a huge pile of wishful thinking and a lack of perspective.

"One movie every few years isn't cutting it for the fans"? Trek is still trying to pull itself together after the doldrums of the Berman years. Is it in better shape than it was pre-2009? Yes. But after a decade+ of oversaturation, can you blame CBS/Paramount for playing it safer at the moment? (Also, Trek did perfectly fine with doing a movie every few years before TNG came along.)

Also, you've got years' worth of reruns and movies, comic books, tie-in novels, and at some point we'll probably see TNG-based fan-film episodes. It's not like there's a shortage of product available. Trek is supposed to be entertainment, not an addiction CBS/Paramount can't keep pace with.

"Most of the cast would come back"? Um...why? They've aged out of the roles and moved on with their lives. I seriously question if they'd honestly want to go back and do it again.

Finally...how would bringing back TNG help the franchise? How would it have any appeal to mainstream audiences at this point? Nobody's ever willing to address this problem. In fact, it's pretty telling that every proposal to "save" Trek amounts to backpedaling and making the franchise a nerd ghetto piece again. I mean, a rebooted version of TNG might be possible (it's the only version of Trek that has enough staying power to hold pace with the original series), but going back and carrying on as if nothing ever ended? That would be a recipe for failure.

Rolling Stone couldn't be more wrong if it tried. If anything, all they did was underscore how dumb the idea really is, and how there's no chance of it ever happening.

16. Hober Mallow

They could called it STAR TREK: A FEW GENERATIONS BACK.

17. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

In concept, TNG is a fine idea for a theatrical film. They just went and made some really Bad films and killed themselves.

They don't have to, but a handy reasoning is already in place. By the time of nuTNG, the alterations introduced in nuTrek could be even more extreme.

It occurs to me they would also have a chance to do a crossover story or cameo with nuKirk and crew still in their primes while leaving their fates open-ended.

Like spinning off from Avengers to Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. on television, maybe nuTrek to nuTNG is the way to take a shot at expanding on the modern franchise. Commit to a year, a dozen episodes or so, see what happens.

If not nuTNG, I suppose there are still less-travelled corners of nuTrek to explore that they'll never find time to do in the films.

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I imagine a return of TNG would be like this scene from Ghostbusters 2:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl2CIx9hfE8[/yt]

Picard: "Suck in the guts - Engage!"

19. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

No thanks. They had a chance to go out on a high note a decade ago and blew it. I would prefer that TNG in the realm of television ended with "All Good Things...". When you don't consider the films, it's a very solid ending.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

OP: no.

The world suffered enough of the German disaster with the movies and spin offs.