Falling Skies - season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, could someone please send this premiere to the people who produce Defiance to show them how "aliens on Earth" is supposed to be done? Seeing this reminded me how much I missed good TV sci-fi.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else have horrible glitchy audio for the entire first episode?

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

No glitchy audio for me.

I liked the season priemere. The 7-month time skip works for me, but is the new alien really named Cochise, or is that just a human nickname for him (or her)?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Cylons! I knew it! I laughed for 5 straight minutes at that scene. Someone needs to tell Ron Moore they ripped him off.

Also, that baby is possessed they need to kill it with fire.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So every other character is killed off?

The numbers are always wrong, there are shows 40 years old and the numbers are wrong.

6. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the guy from ER has been made "President"...but from the preview for the rest of the season, it looks like there's *another* "President"...

And what is it with the harnessed kids looking like Klingons now?

I've only seen a smattering of episodes - but I can tell they there are supposed to be big changes between this season premiere and the end of the last season. I'm just not always sure what are new changes and what's already been explained before...some of them are obvious, but not all of them...

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

***SPOILERS***

Well, the stupid continues for another season.

Somehow, all the characters miss the obvious, that a pregnant women shouldn't manipulate a strange alien machine that arcs strange radiation through her fingertips.

Too bad Tom didn't read up on his TV Tropes before the Internet went down, or he'd have known that, when someone says he's narrowed down the list of suspects, but it's not really important and can wait, he's wrong and he's going to die.

Gotta love how the Mechs just left the front gate open, and didn't come back once the main attack was under way.

And the cherry on top: Hal can sneak out of the city, and no one spots him, even though the perimeter's supposedly secure, oh and any guards who might notice him at any point will also notice that he's walking and without his wheelchair.

Can't say I really care anymore. :thumbdown:

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Harnesses didn't do that to the kids, it was the radiation from the plant.

Just awful.

"They didn't bring fuel."

Viewers have been complaining about he roughing-it/camping-style of the skitters since the pilot, why is blondie just noticing now?

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Actually, the Mad Max in space/savaging everything approach of the overlords is making more and more sense if they're getting their arses chased across the galaxy by Doug Jones. The obvious question is which side in their interstellar war is the true aggressor? I mean if the overlords are knocking off primitive world to raid their supplies of uranium and enslave the natives as their attack monkeys then perhaps they're not the all powerful world conquerors the appeared to be.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that's how we agree... They don't seem to be all powerful.

Right from the beginning, they were being incredibly economical by only attacking the largest groups of human beings, and then picking a slightly smaller number which had been previously allowed to run free because it wasn't worth their time, and then attack that.

Imagine if the Jews running from the the NAZIs, conquered France, throwing the French at the German war machine, then crossed the channel subdued Britain and focussing it's resources and slave labour to a defensible perimeter.

It doesn't matter if the Esepheni are someone elses punk being forced into doing horrible things to survive, they crossed a line.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  11. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was quite a bit that was bad with this episode, but this was the worst by far. I would love to know what the writers were thinking when they made some of these decisions.

12. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Pretty decent start to season 3, by the admittedly mediocre standards of the show.

Lots of loopy plot-logic, characters keeping secrets they shouldn't, and people just acting stupid. But somehow the episodes still work.

Three major items are set up to maintain some suspense.

1) Who is the spy? If it is the new presidential aide lady I am going to be upset. And apparently it can't be the red herring of Hal, since he was in the hospital when the murder went down(unless the editing was cheating).

2) Who/what is Alexis? Probably going to be the most annoying storyline of the season. Can't really see a way for it to pay off satisfactorily unless the kid grows up super fast or the show does a massive time jump. When Alexis disappeared off the bed I was thinking Anne was going to look up and see Alexis hanging off the ceiling, but the show wasn't willing to go quite that goofy.

3) Are the new aliens(and allied skitters) trustworthy or not? This is the most interesting plot thread to me. All the characters who are distrustful of their alien allies are pretty much the stupidest most bigoted characters on the show. Weaver, the military brass, Pope, all characters who are generally wrong on the show. Yet they are spending so much screen time voicing these suspicions that if the aliens are actually just solid allies, it will seem like quite a waste of time.

13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Of course the new guys (the Volm) are too good to be true. Traveling the stars just to be altruistic, saving enslaved worlds from the fishies? No, they want something from Earth, just like the other aliens, else why travel so far?

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The new aliens are not Skitters, the Skitters are the oldest aliens with the four legs.

I really enjoy the show, and every show has stupid moments, but this season opener was too much.

The Cylon red back, the crazy baby, too much. And if aliens came and killed 7 billion people I wouldn't trust new aliens either.

I do like the backstory of how we were in the middle of a massive galactic war. I figured when I started seeing the previews, but which side, if any are good for mankind.

15. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason that the front was left unguarded is so that they can simplify the action and minimize the human casualties. Even with the Volm weaponry the humans should not be winning at this point. They've established that the Volm are nothing but a beachhead force.

But yes, wanting to have Hal physically unfaithful isn't enough reason to trash willing suspension of disbelief. You have to contradict the stated facts of the situation as presented to accept that Hal actually got outside without being detected, not just once, but repeatedly. Even if that woman sleeping with him is stoned every night!

However, the benefit the Volm receive from Earth may be a killing ground for their enemies. Also, it is highly unlikely that the humans will ever be able to exterminate the skitters. It's not even certain they should want to. Humans have cards to play against the Volm if they should want more than a battleground.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I think the baby might be the anti christ :lol: .

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone know who is doing the voice of the new alien? It sounds kind of like Michael Dorn, but I can't find any info on the voice actor.

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's Doug Jones who's been in a lot of genre movies and also done voicework. He played Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies so the voice tone and style is pretty similar to the new alien's IMO.

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone catch this on an upcoming episode? Frakes I guess still wants to stay in the game on directing sci-fi

Regarding the episode I liked it. It's a little corney at time but then again what sci-fi cannot be? There are many Trek episodes that are way over the top.

Also, I think it's interesting that they are setting up a lot of parallels between the American Revolutionary War and the fight between the two groups of aliens.

The fish head aliens [forget their names] are obviously the British whereas the Volm are the French - willing to help the group with their technology. [it's worth remembering the French gave General Washington supplies and money during the war]

Also, if the Volm end up having another agenda this will further the analogy because the French supported the US Revolution with the alternate agenda of destablizing the British.

20. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Executive Producer/Director Greg Beeman is doing his Behind the scence blog with lot's of fotos again for this season:

http://gregbeeman.blogspot.de/