Messge from Shatner to JJ

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by KirkPicard, Sep 18, 2008.

1. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzOs4WEutQ8

Shatner laments about never being offered a role, cameo or otherwise. Although, he once again reiterates that he would not have accepted a cameo but hopes that a substantial role can be written for Trek 12. I doubt JJ would extend an offer to appear in the next movie, nor do I believe newer fans would protest his absence. Thoughts?

Yes, I realize that any discussion about has been all but exahusted by fans.

2. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should just hire Frank Caliendo to play older Kirk. Considering how he does it on those Direct TV commercials, I'm sure the real Shat wouldn't be that far off if offered the job.

3. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Despite there being no evidence to back this thought up, and there being plenty of evidence to suggest the contary is true, I STILL BELIEVE SHATNER WILL HAVE A CAMEO IN THE LAST EIGHT SECONDS OF TREK 11.

Maybe they could show the old Kirk drinking and abusing his own nephew in the future? A dark ending for dark times.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Caliendo is a talented guy, despite appearing on Mad TV. His Shatner is good, better than his Dubya.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

His Madden voice cracks me up. I remember him talking about cloning Brett Favre and having whole teams of them. :lol:

Sorry to get off topic...

SHUT UP SHATNER!!!

6. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't find it becoming of the man to behave this way. He played Kirk for 40 years and has now found great success outside if check. He's had his chance Could you imagine Patrick Stewart on YouTube complaining that he wasn't asked to be a part of the new film if it was set in the TNG era? I feel a tad embarrassed for him actually, he needs to let go. I really think that his ego is a bit to wrapped up in the character of Kirk, as evidenced by his foray into Trek Lit to be honest with the fanboy-ish "Shatnerverse" books.

Let it go, Bill.

7. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Naw, it won't happen. I've toyed with the thought as well, but I don't believe it to be the case.

This is Spock's story, not Kirk's.

8. InvisibleGT

InvisibleGT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Upon watching the video, I never got the indication that he was complaining about it. Merely, it appeared as though he was addressing the fans moreso, letting them know that he was in fact not offered a role, despite what was being circulated on the 'net. If anything, it was an impassioned plea to those whom have been ceaselessy berating him, calling him "egotistical" and tossing random cynicism his way.

He also seems to genuinely feel as though Abrams is a talented man, and would, should the future prove to be accepting, love to work with him on a sequel.

Yes, there is some odd moments, as evidenced in "switch on the right, switch on the left, and boom, Kirk is back." But as a whole, I personally felt that, while being done with the character, Shatner would love a chance to romp nostalgically through the new incarnation, a la Nimoy.

As for his novels, well, how is this any different than what Manny Coto did in the final season of Enterprise? And yet, many here praised him for reinvigorating the show. Personally, I would prefer to read the Shatnerverse books before watching the poorly written debacle that was Season Four.

Oh, and one more thing... Denny Crane!

9. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

[Bones]You're dead, Jim.[/Bones]

10. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

message from the public to shatner: get over it. it's done. stat trek has moved on, so do the same.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Star Trek has moved far from Kirk and Spock and all that old stuff.

12. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder what he meant by "no cameo"?

Is he saying he wanted Kirk to have a substantial role?

I sure wouldn't have wanted him walking by in the background playing someone other than Kirk.

We'd still have to address the fact that Kirk DIED in "Generations", and there'd have to be some explanation before Shatner could do anything as Kirk.

One idea has been, even without Shatner being involved, that Spock returns to his own time at the end of the movie, and finds a message waiting for him from Kirk. He realizes something in the timeline has changed. (I dunno. Maybe it's Picard who died dealing with Soran, and Kirk who survived?)

Wouldn't need to see Shatner, tho' it'd open up a door. (Still, I wouldn't want Picard to be dead in Kirk's place. Even if we never see him again, I don't want him to die early.)

13. gastrof

That's not what was said.

It was said that it's Kirk's death (and Shatner thus having no further involvement in Trek) that's over and done, a part of Trek history that won't change.

Of course, with a time travel movie...who knows?

14. gastrof

What does "if check" mean? Is that a typo?

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's probably something he meant to expand before posting but forgot. Maybe he'll come back to correct it later.

Meanwhile, though, let me remind you about using the Multi-Quote ( [​IMG] ) button. With three posts so close together in time, there's no reason not to have combined them into a single post (the way I have here.)

16. gastrof

I wasn't aware there was a rule about combining several replies as one.

17. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Too old, too fat, too late, no Shat.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's been part of the rules as long as I've been here (and, I suspect, a good deal longer than that.) Quoting from the section concerning Spamming:

http://www.trektoday.com/images/news/TrekBBSrules.htm

It used to be that you had to copy/paste the various quotes, which was tedious, but that is now no longer necessary -- Multi-Quote makes it simple to quote as many people as you like. I don't want to make any more of a deal about it than I have already, so give it a try -- it's really nice. :)

19. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You have a knack for words, my friend... perfect!
    I remember when you taught me about Multi-Quote. It's easier than it looks. Now I read posts, and click Multi-Quote as I go. By the time I'm done reading, I click "Post Reply" (on left below the last post) and post my replies.